Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
question about Pereskiopsis spathulata
    #21079931 -

I've done a bit of reading on this wonderful plant and I'm planning to obtain a few in the near future for some experimental grafts n such but I've found some info saying peres is a fragile plant and needs to be kept in a very humid environment under a certain level of light or they won't reach their potential or possibly die. I've also found another page saying that Peres are very durable plants and can survive pretty much any environment and still help it's scion grow at a substantial rate vs keeping it in keeping it in high humidity with specific lighting.

Which is true and is there a thread on here that covers peres all the way around and that could help me find some of the answers I'm looking for specifically on peres? Sorry I've searched a few times but I couldn't find what I was looking for.

These things are kinda difficult to find for sale but I know if I can just find one I should be able to make in time all that I need. OOps My Bad:crazy:

Edited by spaceman101 (01/06/15 10:32 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: question about Pereskiopsis spathulata [Re: spaceman101]
    #21080119 -

The last part of your post is a no no.

But pereskiopsis is a very hardy and high humidity makes for grafts to stick on so you have more success. I have some that are very tough right now. The 'sappy' type that is perfect for grafting.


--------------------
Nature is my church and walking through it is gospel. It tells no lies and reveals all to those who look, and listen, closely.
-Karode

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: question about Pereskiopsis spathulata [Re: ferrel_human]
    #21080353 -

I'm a bit seedy today and staring at this screen isn't helping but read this post by GoOnThen and then the entire thread.>>>https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/19396804#19396804


All posts by GoOnThen contain useful info that I agree with. Also CactusDan for cheap, simple methods. Search them out......

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: question about Pereskiopsis spathulata [Re: karode13]
    #21080403 -

I got a few cuttings a couple months ago, I am in socal so its basically cheating, but I just (edit:put them in a cup with an inch of so of water for a couple days, and they rooted fine.)  I then threw them in a solo cup with dirt/perlite, they rooted fine and I just leave them as it and water once or twice a week....the problem I am having is light, they have grown very thin and weak at the tops, with long leafs instead of the nice thick fat once they have below.  I have them outside now to see how they respond, but its not a great location so still may not be enough.  Soon I will put them under some florescent lights.  Even with this they seem to be doing ok, and I havent lost any leaves which is what I want to avoid since they dont grow back.


--------------------
Even Jesus got stoned.

Edited by mandrin13 (01/08/15 12:45 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: question about Pereskiopsis spathulata [Re: karode13]
    #21080452 -

karode13 said:
I'm a bit seedy today and staring at this screen isn't helping but read this post by GoOnThen and then the entire thread.>>>https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/19396804#19396804


All posts by GoOnThen contain useful info that I agree with. Also CactusDan for cheap, simple methods. Search them out......




I've never seen that thread before. It's got some really useful and direct information that I think will help me a lot in the upcoming weeks/months.

I know I've said it before and I'll surely say it again as I can't seem to say it enough but Thanks a Sky Full Karode:super:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: question about Pereskiopsis spathulata [Re: spaceman101]
    #21084251 -

Good link there. Interesting read.

Like the new profile pic, spaceman.:thumbup:


--------------------
One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree.
'Which road do I take?' she asked.
'Where do you want to go?' was his response.
'I don't know', Alice answered.
'Then', said the cat, 'it doesn't matter.'




Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: question about Pereskiopsis spathulata [Re: cowsRmeat]
    #21084417 -

Here we have very hot humid summers. I've found pereskiopsis to be very hardy and super fast to multiply.  Seems as long as they have plenty of sun, water, and nutes they just keep multiplying.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: question about Pereskiopsis spathulata [Re: voodoo42]
    #21084576 -

voodoo42 said:
Here we have very hot humid summers. I've found pereskiopsis to be very hardy and super fast to multiply.  Seems as long as they have plenty of sun, water, and nutes they just keep multiplying.



Yeah but it seems full sun makes it a very stiff plant. You need it to be plenty pliable and no spines for the sticking of scion and stock to take hold.


--------------------
Nature is my church and walking through it is gospel. It tells no lies and reveals all to those who look, and listen, closely.
-Karode

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: question about Pereskiopsis spathulata [Re: ferrel_human]
    #21084628 -

Thanks CowsRmeat that was the 4th flush of ATL7 last spring under my beautiful Mandeville plant. I'm trying to learn how to take cuttings from these plants successfully but I haven't figured it out yet even using teks from online.

Does anyone know about the sticky bright white sap that's released when you cut or damage a mendeville stem? What is it's use and how can a nearly detached but slightly connected branch still survive for sooo long?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: question about Pereskiopsis spathulata [Re: spaceman101]
    #21084667 -

Nice. How long did you leave em in the jars before spawning? I hear some folks leave em up to 6 mo for stones.

Never heard of a mandeville plant before... just gooogled it tho and they are quite nice looking, i must say


--------------------
One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree.
'Which road do I take?' she asked.
'Where do you want to go?' was his response.
'I don't know', Alice answered.
'Then', said the cat, 'it doesn't matter.'




Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: question about Pereskiopsis spathulata [Re: cowsRmeat]
    #21084708 -

I left them about 3 1/2 to 4 months. It gave me a few stones in the jar but a lot more when I harvested the stones after my 6th flush of mushrooms. I probably could of got another flush but the sub was raised up so much that I just wanted to see the huge ass stones:grin: BTW they were very very nice:wink:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: question about Pereskiopsis spathulata [Re: spaceman101]
    #21084792 -

:superbanana:

Did you just spawn em to the dirt in the pot???


--------------------
One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree.
'Which road do I take?' she asked.
'Where do you want to go?' was his response.
'I don't know', Alice answered.
'Then', said the cat, 'it doesn't matter.'




Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: question about Pereskiopsis spathulata [Re: cowsRmeat]
    #21085260 -

Pretty much just covered with potting soil and kept moist for about a week and a half until I got my first flush. I damn near couldn't stop them from fruiting outdoors:grin:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: question about Pereskiopsis spathulata [Re: ferrel_human]
    #21087308 -

ferrel_human said:
Yeah but it seems full sun makes it a very stiff plant. You need it to be plenty pliable and no spines for the sticking of scion and stock to take hold.



Why no spines, ease of grafting or another reason?

mandrin13 said:
I got a few cuttings a couple months ago, the problem I am having is light, they have grown very thin and weak at the tops, with long leafs instead of the nice thick fat once they have below.




Rather than start another thread I hope you dont mind a small piggyback OP, this way you can also see what my issue is.  Here are mine, with the issues, I just put them in front of these CFLs today, until I can get them int something more permanent.  I wont be attempting grafts for weeks/months, would you guys recommending cutting the small portions now so new better growth can develop or just let t grow and cut them down later?  Thanks





This is the worst, 3 are bad 3 are ok.


--------------------
Even Jesus got stoned.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: question about Pereskiopsis spathulata [Re: mandrin13]
    #21087707 -

mandrin13 said:
Rather than start another thread I hope you dont mind a small piggyback OP, this way you can also see what my issue is..



No problem bro that's what I originally wanted for this thread. I wanted this to help all the cultivators out there that have questions about these plants so ask away and same to all others:wink:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: question about Pereskiopsis spathulata [Re: spaceman101]
    #21088541 -

Quote:
Why no spines, ease of grafting or another reason?




Long spines occur due to being exposed to strong light like the sun. They don't interfere with grafting so much but make handling them a little more difficult. If there's a spine where you choose to graft then you just clip it off. It's preferred that you grow your pereskiopsis grafting stock in semi-shade or under fluorescent light to encourage soft, pliable growth. This makes them easier to handle and the tips are more supple and juicy, perfect to graft to. Ones grown in full sun tend to be more woody and less juicy, making them harder to graft to.....if you're a n00b, that is. :sun:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: question about Pereskiopsis spathulata [Re: karode13]
    #21089798 -

karode13 said:
Quote:
Why no spines, ease of grafting or another reason?




Long spines occur due to being exposed to strong light like the sun. They don't interfere with grafting so much but make handling them a little more difficult. If there's a spine where you choose to graft then you just clip it off. It's preferred that you grow your pereskiopsis grafting stock in semi-shade or under fluorescent light to encourage soft, pliable growth. This makes them easier to handle and the tips are more supple and juicy, perfect to graft to. Ones grown in full sun tend to be more woody and less juicy, making them harder to graft to.....if you're a n00b, that is. :sun:



Juicy would be another word. I use sappy. :smirk:


--------------------
Nature is my church and walking through it is gospel. It tells no lies and reveals all to those who look, and listen, closely.
-Karode

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: question about Pereskiopsis spathulata [Re: karode13]
    #21090351 -

karode13 said:
Quote:
Why no spines, ease of grafting or another reason?




Long spines occur due to being exposed to strong light like the sun. They don't interfere with grafting so much but make handling them a little more difficult. If there's a spine where you choose to graft then you just clip it off. It's preferred that you grow your pereskiopsis grafting stock in semi-shade or under fluorescent light to encourage soft, pliable growth. This makes them easier to handle and the tips are more supple and juicy, perfect to graft to. Ones grown in full sun tend to be more woody and less juicy, making them harder to graft to.....if you're a n00b, that is. :sun:



gracias


--------------------
Even Jesus got stoned.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Pereskiopsis spathulata - How to make it branch? peachy 3,430 6 11/30/05 10:05 PM
by S8N
* Pereskiopsis spathulata kilgore_trout 2,043 13 07/09/04 02:37 PM
by kilgore_trout
* pereskiopsis spathulata iamhimheisme 1,215 4 07/19/04 10:58 PM
by iamhimheisme
* Pereskiopsis???(ID PLEASE) Psilocybeingzz 2,546 12 08/22/04 05:19 PM
by Bi0TeK
* Amazing growth of Tr. pachanoi grafted on Pereskiopsis
( 1 2 3 all )
Una 15,809 41 03/26/08 12:55 PM
by Zinglons Acolyte
* Is this pereskiopsis?
( 1 2 all )
MIKESHERRY 3,985 22 11/21/04 10:28 AM
by Stonehenge
* Pereskiopsis spathulata or Pereskiopsis porterii for grafting. Which is best??
( 1 2 all )
sturmer88 7,145 21 05/31/08 07:29 PM
by carpetmunch
* Some Regraft in Pereskiopsis Spathulata & Trichocereus Pachanoi Salko 1,608 2 09/06/17 05:28 PM
by ferrel_human

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: karode13, Mostly_Harmless, A.k.a
2,041 topic views. 0 members, 2 guests and 7 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.03 seconds spending 0.004 seconds on 14 queries.