Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinepeachy
Transientpsychonaut

Loc: Preserved deep within the...
Pereskiopsis spathulata - How to make it branch?
    #2759800 - 06/03/04 06:16 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Okay, so I've got quite a number of these little babies:
(Pereskiopsis spathulata)

This one has the least potential (IMO) for grafting my lopho seedlings onto, so I've decided to keep it around as a "mother" plant for cuttings. I wanted to know if there're any techniques any of you know of or have used that could induce this baby into branching at one of (or both) the indicated locations in the pic.

And yep it does look unhappy; its been sent half way around the world and its been repotted - so I'd imagine it needs a few weeks to settle before I'll attempt anything with it.

I'm pretty new to the Pereskiopsis family; so any hints you'd care to offer would be very appreciated. I've done a fairly extensive search on the net & found very little info.

--------------------
"Time bends, space is boundless. It squashes a man's ego. I feel lonely. Tell me, though... does Man, that marvel of the universe, that glorious paradox who sent me to the stars, still make war against his brother? Keep his neighbor's children starving?"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinenookjohn
Nooker
 User Gallery

Loc: Dancin' in the street
Re: Pereskiopsis spathulata - How to make it branch? [Re: peachy]
    #2760746 - 06/03/04 02:19 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Leaning can mean the plant is not getting enough water. Pereskiopsis should be watered twice a week at least when not dormant.

As far as inducing branching, don't bother. Just keep taking cuttings and propagate them. Occasionally you will get two branches. Rarely, you will get three. Once in a while, you may also get a base pup.

Offlinepeachy
Transientpsychonaut

Re: Pereskiopsis spathulata - How to make it branch? [Re: nookjohn]
    #2760860 - 06/03/04 03:05 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Tourist,
Yep, do be honest this one was so poorly looking (had a big rotten section on the upper marked spot) when it arrived I didn't think it would survive. I thought watering it too much would just accelerate the rot, which I eventually cut off. Anyway, it was the last to get re-potted. So its very possible thats its water-starved, but as its got a good ammount of new growth I'm looking to remedy all that lack of attention from now on :smile:

I already have sufficient cuttings for my present requirements/space.
With this one I want to do all I can to induce it to grow as big as possible to serve as a future stock for cuttings. Is that an unrealistic goal? As I said: I don't know so much about peres. - so much learning to do!  :smile:

For anyone else getting pere. spat. cuttings mailed to them; let me recommend you get the biggest possible ones - the smaller ones seem to rot almost entirely during shipping - plus all the leaves drop off ...

--------------------
"Time bends, space is boundless. It squashes a man's ego. I feel lonely. Tell me, though... does Man, that marvel of the universe, that glorious paradox who sent me to the stars, still make war against his brother? Keep his neighbor's children starving?"

OfflineLegoulash
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #2760981 - 06/03/04 03:47 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Cant u root the leaves?? And wher did u get these?

Offlinepeachy
Transientpsychonaut

Re: Pereskiopsis spathulata - How to make it branch? [Re: Legoulash]
    #2762097 - 06/04/04 12:32 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

I doubt a leaf would root though perhaps with rooting hormone etc it may just work.

I bulk ordered the cuttings from Cactus Plaza in the Netherlands.

--------------------

OfflineMillennium
GreenhouseTechnicianStudent
 User Gallery

Loc: north
    #4998804 - 11/30/05 02:57 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

yes the leaves can root but will not grow a stem
so dont bother
grow ur mom big and make asd many 2 or 3 inch cuttings as you can from the branch at a time
i got mine from ethnogarden botanicals

--------------------
when you expect nothing(the worst), anything is better (positive)

Edited by millennium (11/30/05 09:36 PM)

OfflineS8N
PIMP
Male User Gallery

Loc: michigan
Re: Pereskiopsis spathulata - How to make it branch? [Re: Millennium]
    #5000648 - 11/30/05 10:05 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

what john says, damage the vascular bundle and it will throw out an off set aka pup. flash the soil from wet to dry. pereskiopsis is a cactus, and they send out roots in search of water. flashing from wet to drys been my best experiance with pereskiopsis.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies