Home | Community | Message Board

Crestline Sales - MycoPath
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineRunningWater
Please Help - Compost Colonization Question
    #2051850 - 10/28/03 10:54 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

My ex-gf has a large clear rubbermaid. She is growing oysters. One of the bins appears to be stalled in its growth. She is thinking that she may haev exposed it to too much light, checking on it daily. She tries to keep it covered up but, as impatient as she is, she has peeked at it daily. The two other bins have colonized fairly nicely. Yet this one is stalled. Its about 75 percent colonzied and she was thinking of remixing the contents to give it more colonization points. She thinks its eitehr in fruiting mode and has stopped colonizing (although no primidoria has formed) or that it has too much water content... (or that its a slowly colonizing strain). The bin has grown slower than the rest and it may just be colonizing slowly. There is no bacterial smell. What could the problem be? Could she fruit it half colonized and then put it back into colonization mode after the 1st flush, if its even possible (before contams or continuous pinning)? Her other bins also have small spots that were not colonized (although they're about 98% colonized), but she is getting small pins already. Could she put these back into colonization mode after the 1st flush? Thanks very much

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineRunningWater
Re: Please Help - Compost Colonization Question [Re: RunningWater]
    #2053086 - 10/29/03 09:13 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Anyone?

Offlinelysergic
Mycophile!
Re: Please Help - Compost Colonization Question [Re: RunningWater]
    #2053088 - 10/29/03 09:17 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

The light wouldn't ,in and of itself, stop mycelia colonization. I'm not sure if you typed oysters because growing "the other" kind is illegal or not, but I don't know a damn thing about oysters.

If they really are oysters, ask in the adv forum and let Shirley Knott answer it, she knows about them

If not, keep the humidity up, keep the temp right, and it should grow. It might be too moist, possibly. If she'd like to fruit, she should be able to.

--------------------
In response to an attack killing 15 American Servicemen
PsiloKitten said:
Just give em a little more time, the iraqis are making great progress. And this is unorganized. Wait till they get organized.

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Please Help - Compost Colonization Question [Re: lysergic]
    #2053109 - 10/29/03 09:44 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

knott me!  :blush:

i grew oysters once only (pulmonaris and ostreatus) for fun, but i ain't no expert oystergal. maybe the gourmet room would be better for that, but i suspect it's the same whatever you have growing: stalled uncolonised patches are probably due to uneven moisture or an unseen contam. patience and crossed fingers often work well.

oysters are better in a hanging bag or basket than stuck in a tub, i think; but then again i reckon they may not be oysters after all  :wink: 

--------------------
buh

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation