Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Injection Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Google Cardboard ???
    #20266636 -


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Google Cardboard ??? [Re: Sell Your Soul]
    #20266652 -

I tried to make my own a long time ago.  I used a flashlight and my camera on my computer for the ability to look around.  I also used my phone and splashtop to connect my phone to my computer so my phone would project the computer.

This whole project failed.  The light thing was so laggy and glitchy and the viewing on the ipod was a second behind.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Google Cardboard ??? [Re: Sell Your Soul]
    #20267473 -

Fuckin awesome. I've been waiting for consumer VR since I was like 10 years old and saw The Lawnmower Man. I'm also watching the Oculus Rift and Project Morpheus with great interest. When there's finally a good VR setup available, I'm gonna snap it up and spare no expense to get the best experience possible. It's been a long time coming, I can't wait!!!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Google Cardboard ??? [Re: Ythan]
    #20269292 -

I've been following the Occulus rift for some with great enthusiasm as well. I certainly think there is extreme potential in VR. Although I have to admit Facebook's acquisition of Occulus has made me a bit weary.  This google project seems interesting as well I'll read more into it later.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Google Cardboard ??? [Re: xpl0de]
    #20271397 -

Facebooks buyout of occulus is a good thing.  Even if you hate zuckerberg or hate facebook it boils down really to they give rift the money injection, the platform, and the connections/contacts to really become a major company and bring VR to the masses quickly and affordably.    Without such a major player bank rolling chances are even if the rift is the first or best to market, a massive company will come along and do what they are doing cheaper and move into the currently empty market and take over.


--------------------
Nothing says love like grannies prolapsed anus!

quote]Urb said:
I know... Its fucked up... Ill fix it minyana..[/quote]

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Google Cardboard ??? [Re: Sell Your Soul]
    #20298476 -

Time will tell. I'm going to try a pair in a few days to get a hands on experience. Sometimes I worry about the trend of immersive technologies in the sense that humans tend to want to be immersed in a few select experiences. And while we want those select experiences, life delivers a pretty staggering assortment. If we have the ability to, at our discretion, only choose those few select experiences we want then what compromises will have to be made?

I guess I worry that immersive technology may turn out like the old genie stories. Be careful what you wish for because it rarely plays out as imagined.


--------------------
Why shouldn't the truth be stranger than fiction?
Fiction, after all, has to make sense. -- Mark Twain

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Google Cardboard ??? [Re: Kickle]
    #20298638 -

I dont think its any different then any other thing humans get pleasure from.  The same rules apply to our species behavior when it comes to pleasure and enjoyment, and the'cost' we are each willing to pay to get that feeling.  Your same concern applies to drugs, video games, sex, driving fast, etc, etc.  Some people will get addicted, some people will dabble, some will be vhemently against it, but I dont see it going anywhere as risky as some of the other pleasures that already exist in the world.


--------------------
Nothing says love like grannies prolapsed anus!

quote]Urb said:
I know... Its fucked up... Ill fix it minyana..[/quote]

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Google Cardboard ??? [Re: mndfreeze]
    #20300361 -

:thumbup:

I agree and our history is largely what makes me leery. I don't think it will be one-sided but I do think that it will have it's downsides. I think about the rat studies where the pleasure center is stimulated in the brain and they will ignore food, water, and even sex in favor of that electrode's stimulation. Bzzt, bzzt, bzzt over and over again. 

I don't think something like immersive porn would be equivalent but I think it would cast a pretty wide net. It also makes me think of this ~5min TED talk



--------------------
Why shouldn't the truth be stranger than fiction?
Fiction, after all, has to make sense. -- Mark Twain

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Injection Grain Bag


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* google is creepy Vvellum 872 7 06/30/04 04:31 PM
by Vvellum
* Google to offer 1 gig of free e-mail
( 1 2 all )
daussaulit 3,780 20 02/16/09 03:16 AM
by Simisu
* Living Off the Grid - Stage 1: Project Conception/Ideas
( 1 2 3 4 5 all )
trendalM 17,045 93 03/04/05 04:45 AM
by SomaShaman
* google tool bar gdman 1,072 4 03/15/04 12:21 AM
by zeta
* Google Might Be a Big Brother ekomstop 751 2 10/21/04 10:51 AM
by socratesmind
* Global Consciousness Project
( 1 2 all )
Eightball 4,486 30 02/26/05 01:20 PM
by Eightball
* Congress wants Myspace, Xanga, and Facebook records daussaulit 882 4 07/21/06 01:57 PM
by Silversoul
* Big screen projection TV/Monitor for under 300$ AhronZombi 1,483 8 02/01/05 01:01 AM
by Fungi_x

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: trendal, automan, Northerner
1,012 topic views. 0 members, 0 guests and 1 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.026 seconds spending 0.007 seconds on 16 queries.