Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Herb Grinder, Rye Grain

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinef8L
Triumph

Why isn't Sclerotia more popular?
    #2006990 - 10/14/03 01:23 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

I just started reading about sclerotia from the shroomery FAQ's and I am amazed that I haven't heard more about this seemingly 'too-good-to-be-true' mushroom, even though I've spent quite a lot of time here on the shroomery :]

1) The Sclerotia FAQ says "Sclerotia can be grown in vitro on rye grass seed or different grains." OK- That right there is amazing, so this means no working with casings? ...

2) Again, according to the FAQ , "Yields of more than 30 grams of dry sclerotia per cup of substrate have been reported when growing P. mexicana on rye grass seed" - This to me seems amazing -- So you mean, for a quart jar, massive amounts of potent sclerotia can be grown??

I know that sclerotia is only 2/3 as potent as dry cubensis fruits, yet since it only loses 70% water when drying (compared to cubensis' 90%), you are still making up for it.

Can someone help me out with these questions and explain why more people aren't cultivating this wonderful sounding mushroom? Thanks.

Edited by f8L (10/14/03 10:51 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinef8L
Triumph

Re: Why isn't Sclerotia more popular? [Re: f8L]
    #2007895 - 10/14/03 10:53 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Also, has anyone had success growing sclerotia and can comment?

OfflineTHATS iT!
mellow
Loc: In the misty mountains o...
Re: SCLEROTIA - Philiip Cubensis's Overlooked Cousin?? [Re: f8L]
    #2007898 - 10/14/03 10:55 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Sclerotia is actually the mycelia protecting itself for the winter. However water needs to be replinished for the sclertoia to become active again meaning a casing needs to be applied. P. mexicana and P. tampanesis are shrooms that form a thick mycelular mat quickly. But dont expect strong sclerotia from all mushrooms. Sclerotia usually is formed by the warmer weather mushrooms where the winters are dry. So dont expect strong sclerotia from cubensis. However I grow cubes on grain and the result could be considered sclerotia.
I have grown mexicana, Jalisco strain. It takes about 2 months to form completely, then the casing should be applied.

Edited by THATS iT! (10/14/03 11:01 AM)

Invisible@cro
new name
 User Gallery

Loc: The PNW
    #2007962 - 10/14/03 11:46 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

It takes a very long time for sclerotia to form and it doesn't yield that well. But on the plus side it tastes good and isn't as distiguishable as growing mushrooms.

--------------------

Offlinewashout9
journeyman

Re: Why isn't Sclerotia more popular? [Re: @cro]
    #2008028 - 10/14/03 12:19 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

anyone know of a good tek for growing mexicana-a?

Offlinethisone
the one theydon't see

Re: Why isn't Sclerotia more popular? [Re: washout9]
    #2008037 - 10/14/03 12:22 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

it doesn't yield that well? Crazy-pills. It has actually a very good yield Anno said around 300% biological effeciency.

washout9- go to the advaced section and there is a link about mexican-A that's very helpful.

Also has anyone had any personal sucess with a multispore innoculation with this strain. Can you to G2G once the mycelium is etablished before the sclerotia forms?

--------------------
Everything written above this line is completely false. I am terribly bored and write here to pass time. I do not participate or support any illegal activity.

Invisibledaussaulit
Forgetful

Loc: Earth
Re: Why isn't Sclerotia more popular? [Re: thisone]
    #2008261 - 10/14/03 02:33 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

I think I've seen some grow logs that took 3 months to get a decent amount of sclerotia.

Offlinef8L
Triumph

Re: Why isn't Sclerotia more popular? [Re: daussaulit]
    #2008293 - 10/14/03 02:48 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

It takes a very long time for sclerotia to form and it doesn't yield that well.

The FAQ says differently. Apparently, you can grow a LOT of sclerotia. I've been reading the posts, some people seem to be casing Mexican-A strain for some reason? Swim does not care about fruit bodies, but is interested in only the sclerotia. Isn't it possible to simply leave it in the quart jar, with a filter patch on, for say 3-4 months .. that simple ?

Offlinethisone
the one theydon't see

#2008607 - 10/14/03 04:57 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

super simple and effective. I think a lot of people don't do it because not everyone has those specific strains that produce this.

--------------------
Everything written above this line is completely false. I am terribly bored and write here to pass time. I do not participate or support any illegal activity.

OfflineYellowman
Friendly guy

Loc: Downtown
    #2014037 - 10/16/03 10:53 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

AFOAF got a philosophers bag from one of the vendors off this site. Innoculated just about 3 months ago with mexi_A and has had NO problems, No contams. The plan is to open the bag in early november and seeing what the yield is. It's impossible to say from just looking in the bag.
If this turns out well, I think it would be worth it to invest the time in growing sclerotia without the philosophers bag. It does seem MUCH easier without all the headaches and labor intensive steps that traditional mushroom cultivation has. The other side of it is that there is a feeling of satisfaction to see your little shrooms growing which you won't get with sclerotia.

Invisiblesoochi
Chef
 User Gallery

Loc: The Richest County
Re: SCLEROTIA - Philiip Cubensis's Overlooked Cousin?? [Re: THATS iT!]
    #2014175 - 10/16/03 12:04 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

sclerotia are formed by only a few strains of cubensis (they've been mentioned before) Just growing any cube (one that does not produce sclerotia) on grain does not make it sclerotia.

--------------------
Wee, sleeket, cowran, tim'rous beastie,
O, what panic's in thy breastie!
Thou need na start awa sae hasty,
Wi' bickering brattle!

Anonymous

#2014489 - 10/16/03 02:24 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

i once made 8 quart jars of rye grass seed\rice and inoculated with mexicana "A" spores. 4 months later, i had about 360 grams of dry sclerotia. i found that 6-9 grams was good for a trip.

the yeild with stones is phenomenal, and there is very, very little involvement. you just prepare jars, inoculate, and harvest several months later.

i think the only reason they're not more popular is because few people know about them.

i don't grow them anymore though. i like growing mushrooms. making jars, making bulk substrate, casing, caring for a fruiting tray... these are not chores to me, but part of a hobby i enjoy. you don't get to do any of that with stone-growing. there's something magical about growing mushrooms from spore to mycelium to fruit to spore.

as far as yeild is concerned, i think it's possible for a skilled grower to get more total psilocybin per unit space per unit time by growing mushrooms instead of stones.

also, i feel that philosopher's stones are just tough to work with. for one, dried stones are ridiculously hard. i once tried powdering some in a coffee grinder and it destroyed the coffee grinder. there's a reason they're called philosopher's stones. you have to rehydrate them, and this can take a while 1-2 hours. harvesting stones is a pain in the ass. it involves carefully picking through a block of mycelium trying to get out all the hard brown stuff. it's very tedious... took me about an hour per quart jar. also, for whatever reason, stones may cause nausea and vomitting more frequently than mushrooms do.

i prefer to grow mushrooms, and i prefer to eat mushrooms. stones aren't a bad idea at all for the stealth\newbie grower, or just someone who is curious. they definitely have some very good aspects.

i'll stick with mushrooms though.

Offlinef8L
Triumph

Re: Why isn't Sclerotia more popular? [Re: ]
    #2014898 - 10/16/03 04:17 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks for the reply. It's interesting that you say
Quote:

i think it's possible for a skilled grower to get more total psilocybin per unit space per unit time by growing mushrooms instead of stones.

You mentioned you grew 360 grams of dried sclerotia with minimal work. Factoring in for slightly less potency, let's assume sclerotia is 2/3's as potent as cubensis. This means you had the equivalent of 240 dried grams produced from 8 quart jars.

Looking at average grow yields from Grow Logs, it seems a skilled mycologist could cultivate 100-120 grams of dried mushrooms with 8 quart jars.

Therefore, sclerotia not only produces 250% the yield of Cubensis (per quart jar), it requires exponentially less time and demands far less from the mycologist.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Herb Grinder, Rye Grain

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation