Home | Community | Message Board

RVF Garden Supply
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: DXM

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleIrradiated_Feces
doomedgeneration
 User Gallery

Loc: Great White North
Beginning signs of meditation progress
    #2003489 - 10/12/03 10:25 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

I've been meditating on and off for a while now so my progress hasn't really been building up. The first real sign of progress that i notice is that feeling of being up close to everything around you. It's like im in a warm bubble and everything is right up in front of me but far away at the same time. Its a very comforting and relaxing feeling. I've been able to maintain this state for short periods of time and when i get to this state i find it very easy to have a one pointed mind, but i usually start to come back to reality after this. Has any other experienced meditators felt this too? is this common? im interested in any feedback, other signs/feelings of progress, where i can go from this state or if i should simply maintain this state for as long as possible.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Loc: Passing Cloud
Re: Beginning signs of meditation progress [Re: Irradiated_Feces]
    #2003691 - 10/12/03 11:38 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

I remember feeling that once. For me i guess id ont really "step out" to meditate. Maybe it was the DXM or the shrooms, but i feel like sometimes i can just zone into different moods and or perceptions. Like one time i was high.... and i walked into the grocery store... and for some weird reason i just got on this train of thought and it made me feel like i sucked myself from my body... and was just floating like a node in reality. And i felt my arms go in like a million different directions at once... like i was flapping wings really fast or something... and i saw a really bright light around everything. Thats when i stepped out on the inside i guess... and i didnt really step out of my reality to do it... it just happened. So i try not to think of myself as having to do something extra ordinary to get myself there. Just trying to remain calm and let go... thats probably the best thing... I dont think anyone here is going to be able to tell you where to go from here.

You may want to ask yourself... Where are you going? Why are you going there? Is what you loooking for already here... does your ideal state lay within? To say that all meditation is going to lead to the same result to me is kind of fishy to begin with... What is meditation... That i think is the one pointedness you try to look for.. Its focusing without focusing i guess you could say... Kind of floating but trying to be calm and let go... I dont know... Thats just my experience with the whole cabous.

--------------------
What?

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: Beginning signs of meditation progress [Re: Zero7a1]
    #2004524 - 10/13/03 06:14 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Man, that kid in the wheelchair is one of the biggest crack dealers in the United States right now! And do you notice how gay they all look? :grin:

I think meditation is a little different for everyone, as our minds are all different..
Peace.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

OfflineGeeno
Re: Beginning signs of meditation progress [Re: fireworks_god]
    #2004629 - 10/13/03 08:37 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

I guess the white guy, the black guy and the asian chick are out doing drugs somewhere.

Offlinemoogle

Re: Beginning signs of meditation progress [Re: Geeno]
    #2004968 - 10/13/03 12:53 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

When I was pretty young, around 3rd grade, idling in a class, I had begun to stare at the clock -- one of those simple wall-clocks, with black outline/markings, white background, and a third-hand for each second -- while the class was in you-could-hear-a-pin-dropping silence, doing something which had long-past been forgotten, when suddenly my perception completely changed. It was as if my mind had become "clock". I shook my head wondering what the hell was going on, calmed myself, reconcentrated on the clock, and in a few seconds, again there was only "clock". A way to relate this would be perhaps one of those illusions books, where if you cross your eyes against or look into the gobbly-gook, you'll see a different image. The exact moment in which I focus on the new image, is very, very similar to the same moment in which, I suppose, my mind focused on "clock". A very important difference is that it has nothing to do with the position of your eyes physically, but of your "mind's eye" -- if someone reads this and attempts to replicate the experience, don't go looking cross-eyed at or go looking through the object.

I believe a key to achieving similar is total silence of the mind, and of great help is for your body to be in an energetic, yet relaxed, state -- non-exhausted. Upon further thought, I also believe of help is to a enter state of mind, in which you act without desire -- don't try to meditate, or 'want' to meditate, just meditate as if it were completely natural, without requisites of any rationalization. I was a very quiet kid, and I could've been in states of meditation for most of my life, without realizing what meditating was.

Further allegory:
Imagine yourself walking down a sidewalk, just minding your own business, when someone yells at you, "Hey! What the hell are you doing!?", and you simply respond, "Huh? I'm just walkin' down the street."

Now, imagine yourself meditating, just minding your own business, when someone yells at you, "Hey! What the hell are you doing!?", and, now, you simply respond, "Huh? I'm just walkin' down the path to enlightenment."

--------------------
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which can not fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance -- that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

-- Herbert Spencer

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Beginning signs of meditation progress [Re: moogle]
    #2005846 - 10/13/03 06:34 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

> The first real sign of progress that i notice is that feeling of being up close to everything around you.

The first sign of improvement for me was noticing that I was meditating every day rather than every now or then...

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflinePedM
Interested In Your Brain
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canada
Re: Beginning signs of meditation progress [Re: Seuss]
    #2006193 - 10/13/03 08:50 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

>> The first sign of improvement for me was noticing that I was meditating every day rather than every now or then

Very good point! :smile:

I think that the first goal of meditation is to improve our concentration, so that the objects we wish to meditate on in the future can be made manifest through deepened concentration.  If you find that you can focus on your object without becoming distracted more and more, then this is a sign of improvement with meditation.

It's good to start on a neutral object like the breath, and gradually replace the neutral object with a virtuous object, as would be decided by you and your path.  Generally, the objective is then to cultivate compassion and cherishing for all beings, which serves as a preamble to the strong motivation of looking inward.

When we meditate, psychological and physiological symptoms can manifest.  For some people, it is a feeling of heat in the chest, or objects appearing on the mindscape.  This is generally a good sign, as it means our concentration has improved enough for the subtle body to do some unclogging or healing it has not been able to do because of the tension of the waking mind.  It is important that we do not allow ourselves to become distracted by these symptoms, as they will draw our attention away from our object of meditation.

One of Geshe-la Kelsang Gyatso's disciples said, "Even if a thousand dancing Buddhas should appear before you, remain focused on your object of meditation."   

--------------------

:poison: Dark Triangles - New Psychedelic Techno Single - Listen on Soundcloud :poison:
Gyroscope full album available SoundCloud or MySpace

Anonymous

Re: Beginning signs of meditation progress [Re: Ped]
    #2014084 - 10/16/03 11:15 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Right on brother, I think I'm getting you

but instead it's like a boulder to me LOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLL

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: DXM

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology