Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineSoulSurfer
Killer of Giants
Male

Loc: Canada
Meditation and the "third eye"
    #2307507 - 02/06/04 03:21 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I am trying to get into meditation but I'm finding it difficult to get my mind to calm down or to focus. I have tried meditating on the area of my "third eye", right between my eyebrows, but I'm wondering if I should be looking up with my eyes or just concentrating on that specific area. The short amount of times I have been actually able to calm my mind have really refreshed me mentally and made me feel great, but I can't seem to get any prolonged state of concentration

--------------------
:sunny: :sunny::sunny:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineMrGrib
Stranger

Re: Meditation and the "third eye" [Re: SoulSurfer]
    #2307543 - 02/06/04 04:08 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

are you trying to meditate in a quiet room that is suitable for meditation?  if not, maybe you can put on some light meditation music to help block out distracting sounds.  if you can't clear your mind, don't force it.  the harder you try, the harder it becomes.  don't worry, you'll get there.  :smile:

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
    #2307964 - 02/06/04 10:49 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

^^^^ what he said

Don't try so hard.. just let it flow.. be one with your thoughts and find that place of nothingness...the void within.. all you must do is focus.
I'm wondering why you are trying to focus on your third eye.. not that there is anything wrong with that.. But perhaps you would have better luck finding focus by concentrating on your breathing first. Breath deep and into the stomach..the bottom of the lungs. The breathing should be deep and natural and flowing. No pause between inhale and exhale, and a slight pause between exhale and inhale..a moment of contemplation if you will. Just focusing on your breathing is a good start towards finding silence within. An alternate breathing exercise would be the opposite.. with the pause after inhale and no pause after exhale.. I believe that is the daoist method. Some people like to try switching between the two.

As another focusing exercise, you may light a candle and focus all your concentration on that flame. The trick is not in trying to control your thoughts to make an empty head... it is letting your thoughts flow naturally, and not interacting with them. You become the observer.

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #2307968 - 02/06/04 10:50 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

> but I can't seem to get any prolonged state of concentration

Years of practice...

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: Meditation and the "third eye" [Re: Seuss]
    #2307976 - 02/06/04 10:55 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

It must be noted that one need not be doing the 'traditional' meditation pose and mindset in order to be actually exercising that focus. One may exercise that same focus all the time, wherever you are, you can practice focusing.

OfflinePedM
Interested In Your Brain
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #2308125 - 02/06/04 11:51 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Meditation posture is very important for sucessful concentration. A proper posture helps prevent us from becoming too relaxed, or too tense. If we're slouching on the sofa, we are prone to experience mental sinking, and consider plain inattentiveness to be successful medtiation. If we are sitting too straight, or standing, we are too tense, and our minds become overly alert. Meditation postures such as the Vajra posture have been developed to aid our concentration by preventing us from experiencing mental sinking and mental excitement.

Many people initially suppose that the objective of meditation is to shut off the mind, or to immediately achieve some sort of higher concentration. While this is the practice of many advanced meditators, a beginner will have much more success by simply becoming aware of his or her own experience, and developing patience with his or her own present abilities. When we first attempt meditation, we observe our mind leading us off on many different tangents. This isn't a failing, it is a success. For the first time in perhaps all our lives, we are becoming immediately aware of how our minds always are: leading us down many different paths, out of our own control. It is important to use the beginning stages as an opportunity to acquaint ourselves with our uncontrolled mind.

Our mind is like a crazy elephant, stomping and thrashing in all directions, leaving enormous wakes of destruction along it's path. An uncontrolled mind leads us into a great deal of suffering and hardship.

Once we have familiarized ourself with our unruly mind, we can try adopting skills which help us tame the crazy elephant. Almost any instructor of any philosophical school would prescribe breathing meditation. In a posture of meditation, we take a few minutes to become acquainted with our busy mind. Then, we casually draw our attention to the sensation of the breath entering and leaving our body, perhaps through our nostrils. Without becoming tense, we keep our focus on the breath as long as possible. If our mind becomes distracted, that's alright. Simply return the attention to the breath. Each time we reorient our attention after having become distracted by other thoughts, we are making a step closer to the capability to abide within concentration effortlessly. We should not become discouraged.

Gradually, over many sessions, we find that our mind begins to settle more easily. We find that our mind remains still throughout our daily lives. Once we have uncovered this stillness, we are ready to begin training the mind in ways that bring us great happiness and freedom from suffering. It is always best to have an instructor at this stage.

When I was first learning to meditate, I used to sit on the coushin and think "Okay. This is it. I'm going to focus on the breath, dammit, and I'm going to focus for thirty God damn minutes." And I would become very militant and adversarial toward my own mind. This was not helpful at all. The tension would actually serve to create many mental distractions, which I would then follow because I was unskilled. Because of my attitude, I grew very discouraged and unhappy with myself. None of this tension will lead us to inner peace. It is like trying to create an ice sculpture using a jack hammer, instead of a mallet and chisel. We need patience, perserverence, and most of all, we need a happy mind and a sense of humor.

--------------------

:poison: Dark Triangles - New Psychedelic Techno Single - Listen on Soundcloud :poison:
Gyroscope full album available SoundCloud or MySpace

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: Meditation and the "third eye" [Re: Ped]
    #2308226 - 02/06/04 12:29 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Very well and eloquently put

OfflineSoulSurfer
Killer of Giants
Male

Re: Meditation and the "third eye" [Re: Shroomism]
    #2310300 - 02/07/04 01:16 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks for all the excellent info! Some really helpful suggestions there.
I went down to my local used bookstore today and got a book on meditation so that should help as well. I guess I just need to keep at it and let it happen naturally. It sure is helping my state of mind though, even the little bit I have done so far.  :laugh:

--------------------
:sunny: :sunny::sunny:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology