Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop for:   eBay Lab Glassware   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Herb Grinder, Pressure Cooker

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Making cakes with beakers and a rice cooker. Would it fly?
    #1978461 - 10/04/03 06:11 AM (13 years, 26 days ago)

I'm in a country where canning has never been a popular pastime, and canning jars are very difficult to find. I'm a newbie cake grower, and I'm wondering what I could substitute for canning jars if I'm completely unable to find them.

What IS widely available where I am , and not too expensive, is heatproof chemistry glassware. In fact, I often wonder if Pyrex beakers or storage jars might work better than canning jars (provided they could be fitted with lids, and the openings were not narrower than the rest of the jar). I'd have much more choice in terms of volume and height if I went this route. Has anyone tried this kind of equipment for cake cultivation? How does it compare to good ol' Ball jars?

Since I most likely won't be able to find canning jars, I'm holding out no hope for a pressure cooker or pressure canner either. I plan on using a rice cooker instead -- another easy to find apparatus in this part of the world. An Asian rice cooker IS a simplified sort of pressure cooker after all, isn't it?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Rabbit Hole
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Making cakes with beakers and a rice cooker. Would it fly? [Re: FungiJumping]
    #1978474 - 10/04/03 06:24 AM (13 years, 26 days ago)

You can use ordinary drinking glasses and a steam bath with some success. Take a look here:

Good luck...

Republican Values:

1) You can't get married to your spouse who is the same sex as you.
2) You can't have an abortion no matter how much you don't want a child.
3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

4) We need a smaller, less-intrusive government.

Re: Making cakes with beakers and a rice cooker. Would it fly? [Re: Diploid]
    #1980401 - 10/05/03 02:27 AM (13 years, 25 days ago)

I used 4 oz jars and a small rice steamer my first time and had 65% sucess. I used rice flour. Make your own with a coffee grinder for best results. It kinda sucks compared to sterilized grains, but you can get 1-2 oz off of like 6 pints. At least enough to make it worth it. And there's nothing like growing shrooms for like 20 bucks.

Edited by fungulus (10/05/03 02:28 AM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop for:   eBay Lab Glassware   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Herb Grinder, Pressure Cooker

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation