Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineSquattingMarmot
Inquiring Mind
Britain and US will back down over WMDs
    #1889692 - 09/07/03 12:03 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

So there's another justification down. I wonder what the next exscuse will be?

Independent News

Quote:

By Andy McSmith, Raymond Whitaker and Geoffrey Lean
07 September 2003
Britain and the US have combined to come up with entirely new explanations of why they went to war in Iraq as inspectors on the ground prepare to report that there are no weapons of mass destruction there.

The "current and serious" threat of Iraq's WMD was the reason Tony Blair gave for going to war, but last week the Prime Minister delivered a justification which did not mention the weapons at all. On the same day John Bolton, US Under-Secretary of State for arms control, said that whether Saddam Hussein's regime actually possessed WMD "isn't really the issue".

The 1,400-strong Iraq Survey Group, sent out in May to begin an intensive hunt for the elusive weapons, is expected to report this week that it has found no WMD hardware, nor even any sign of active programmes. The inspectors, headed by David Kay, a close associate of President George Bush, are likely to say the only evidence it has found is that the Iraqi government had retained a group of scientists who had the expertise to restart the weapons programme at any time.

Foreshadowing the report, Mr Bolton said the issue was not weapons, or actual programmes, but "the capability that Iraq sought to have ... WMD programmes". Saddam, he claimed, kept "a coterie" of scientists he was preserving for the day when he could build nuclear weapons unhindered by international constraints. "Whether he possessed them today or four years ago isn't really the issue," he said. "As long as that regime was in power, it was determined to get nuclear, chemical and biological weapons one way or another. Until that regime was removed from power, that threat remained - that was the purpose of the military action."

Last week Mr Blair declared at his Downing Street press conference: "Let me say why I still believe Iraq was the right thing to do and why it is essential that we see it through. If we succeed in putting Iraq on its feet as a stable, prosperous and democratic country, then what a huge advertisement that is for the values of democracy and human rights, and what a huge defeat it is for these terrorists who want to establish extremist states."

He added that if anyone were to ask the average Iraqi whether they would prefer to be still living under the old regime, "they would look at as if you were completely crazy".

This contrasts starkly with what the Prime Minister said in his speech to the Commons on 18 March, the day when MPs voted to endorse the decision to go to war. Then Mr Blair asserted, "I have never put the justification for action as regime change."

Just as Britain and the US send more troops to Iraq and seek international help to restore stability, it has emerged that Mr Blair, almost alone among leaders of major nations, is to stay away from the opening of the UN General Assembly later this month. The development is bound to increase the Prime Minister's isolation following his decision to join the US in going to war without a UN resolution, and has led to speculation that he is reluctant to leave the country at a time when his conduct is under examination in the Hutton inquiry.

Downing Street yesterday refused to comment on the grounds that it does not disclose the Prime Minister's movements in advance. But this has not applied to other international summits, where his attendance has been announced well in advance.

--------------------
"In the United States anybody can be president. Thats the problem."

"The gray-haired douche bag, Barbara Bush, has a slogan: "Encourage your child to read every day." What she should be is encouraging children to question what they read every day."

- George Carlin

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineLearyfan
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
Re: Britain and US will back down over WMDs [Re: SquattingMarmot]
    #1889769 - 09/07/03 12:34 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

:lol:

Yes master. Why did we go to war in Iraq now master?

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month: The Loose Enz - The Black Door

Invisibleiglou
enthusiast
    #1889810 - 09/07/03 01:00 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

WMD and Iraq are as big as a lie as the gulf of tonkin incident.

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Re: Britain and US will back down over WMDs [Re: Learyfan]
    #1890093 - 09/07/03 02:57 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

LMFAO!!  :lol:

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

InvisibleEdame
gone

Loc: outta here
    #1890313 - 09/07/03 04:58 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

There's a poll here in which 43% of people polled think Blair should resign over the Hutton Inquiry (42% think he should stay).

If this new report does indeed say what this article claims, then I hope to god that more people sit up and take notice.  Right now I'm having visions of 1984 with Blair saying "we always went to war for regime change" and people just mindlessly accepting it (I also have a vivid image of people tearing down posters and immediately putting new ones up :smile: ).

--------------------
The above is an extract from my fictional novel, "The random postings of Edame".
:tongue:

In the beginning was the word. And man could not handle the word, and the hearing of the word, and he asked God to take away his ears so that he might live in peace without having to hear words which might upset his equinamity or corrupt the unblemished purity of his conscience.

And God, hearing this desperate plea from His creation, wrinkled His mighty brow for a moment and then leaned down toward man, beckoning that he should come close so as to hear all that was about to be revealed to him.

"Fuck you," He whispered, and frowned upon the pathetic supplicant before retreating to His heavens.

Offlinest0nedphucker
Rogue State
Male
Loc: Wales (yes it is a countr...
Re: Britain and US will back down over WMDs [Re: Edame]
    #1890926 - 09/07/03 02:34 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I doubt Blair will resign, although his approval rating has slumped a lot since the Inquiry YouGov polls are rarely conclusive and usually based on the responses of around 1,200 people.
It's more likely he'll lose the next election on the basis of asylum, the NHS than the country's involvement in Iraq or even the death of Dr Kelly.

--------------------
The punishment which the wise suffer, who refuse to take part in government, is to live under the government of worse men.

InvisibleZippoZM
Knomadic
 User Gallery

Loc: Pongyang, North Korea
Re: Britain and US will back down over WMDs [Re: st0nedphucker]
    #1892308 - 09/07/03 11:55 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Foreshadowing the report, Mr Bolton said the issue was not weapons, or actual programmes, but "the capability that Iraq sought to have ... WMD programmes". Saddam, he claimed, kept "a coterie" of scientists he was preserving for the day when he could build nuclear weapons unhindered by international constraints.

yes like saddam was going to wait for permission to build nukes.
this whole thing is just a smoke screen fuck the us go to canada

--------------------
PEACE

:mushroom2:zippoz:mushroom2:

"in times of widespread chaos and confusion, it has been the duty of more advanced human beings - artists, scientists, clowns, and philosophers - to create order. In such times as ours however, when there is too much order, too much m management, too much programming and control, it becomes the duty of superior men and women and women to fling their favorite monkey wrenches into the machinery. To relieve the repression of the human spirit, they must sow doubt and disruption"

"People do it every day, they talk to themselves ... they see themselves as they'd like to be, they don't have the courage you have, to just run with it."

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion