Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlineflow
outlaw immortal
Do you actually believe Saddam has no WMD??
    #1394159 - 03/20/03 06:07 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

ok, to all of you out there who are opposed to this war, do you believe saddam when he says he has no WMD, or Bush when he says saddam does?
I ask this, because he obviously does, it's common sense when you look at the evindence. True, the US has not presented much new evidence of WMD, but are these stockpiles really that difficult to hide in a country where more than a third of the land is uninhabited?? Do you think it is really that difficult for saddam to delay, trick, and confuse inspectors enough to move these weapons to a different location?? NO. Not at all. That is why the call for the US to provide more evidence of WMD is stupid. According to inspectors saddam has not provided enough evidence that he has none. Who lost the last war?? So why doesn't the burden of proof fall on Saddam?? That's what the inspections were supposed to be about in the first place.
By the way if you really do believe Saddam has no WMD, please at least eductae yourself on the subject, the best, and perhaps scariest book i have read on the subject is:
Saddams Bombmaker: The Terrifying Inside Story of the Iraqi Nuclear and Biological Weapons Agenda
by: Dr.Khidhir Hamza
he was the head of the iraqi nuclear weapons development for two decades, and has arguably the most inside knowledge of saddam's weapons systems, as well as he method of rule. This book would give me nightmares if i lived in Kuwait, Israel, etc...

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineEllis Dee
Archangel
Male User Gallery Arcade Champion: Duck Hunt, Enemy Enforcer

Loc: Fire in the sky
Re: Do you actually believe Saddam has no WMD?? [Re: flow]
    #1394171 - 03/20/03 06:12 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

To my knowledge Iraq has never possessed atomic weapons, which are the only weapons of mass destruction. WMD has become an over used term lately. Chemical weapons don't massivly destroy things, they leave structures and inanimate things intact.

--------------------
"If the foundations be destroyed, what can the righteous do."-King Solomon

And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels,

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #1394172 - 03/20/03 06:13 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Best not to believe either Saddam or Bush but the UN weapons inspectors on the ground. Who have stated Iraq is 90-95% disarmed. That's a higher percentage disarmament figure than any other country on earth.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

Loc: London UK
    #1394177 - 03/20/03 06:15 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Saddam and George are both liars.

Iraq have WMD but nowhere near the amount the US claim.

Most of the nerve gas etc that gets talked about would be useless now even if the Iraqi's still had it.

--------------------
Always Smi2le

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
Re: Do you actually believe Saddam has no WMD?? [Re: Ellis Dee]
    #1394180 - 03/20/03 06:17 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

To my knowledge Iraq has never possessed atomic weapons, which are the only weapons of mass destruction. WMD has become an over used term lately. Chemical weapons don't massivly destroy things, they leave structures and inanimate things intact.

You are correct. It seems that the Bush administration has borrowed a tactic from the liberal playbook of redefining terms to suite their agenda. Bush cannot be trusted, Sadam Hussein cannot be trusted.

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
    #1394183 - 03/20/03 06:18 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Saddam has chemical and biological weapons, alright. But Bush conveniently expanded the definition of "Weapons of Mass Destruction" to include these, as opposed to the previous definition, which only included nuclear weapons. Since I hate Bush, and since chemical and biological weapons don't destroy on nearly the scale that nukes do, I will not accept his new definition, and will instead go with the previous definition. I have not seen the slightest bit of evidence that Saddam possesses nukes. So in other words, ya, I really believe Saddam has no WMD.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
Re: Do you actually believe Saddam has no WMD?? [Re: silversoul7]
    #1394217 - 03/20/03 06:31 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Silversoul writes:

But Bush conveniently expanded the definition of "Weapons of Mass Destruction" to include these, as opposed to the previous definition, which only included nuclear weapons.

So sorry, but it wasn't Bush who "changed" the definition of Weapons of Mass Destruction to include bio and chemical. You are correct that originally the international community defined WMD as strictly nuclear devices, but as it became apparent that some nerve agents and especially biological weapons (i.e. a fatal contagious disease which could develop into a worldwide epidemic) were capable of at least as many deaths, that definition was expanded.

I don't know about you, but I first heard the phrase "WMD" decades ago. Why don't you go to the UN website and see what their definition of WMD includes?

pinky

--------------------

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Loc: Crackerville, Michigan U...
    #1394219 - 03/20/03 06:32 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

i don't think he has nukes but i am pretty confident about the chemical and biological.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Words of Wisdom: Individual Rights BEFORE Collective Rights

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Re: Do you actually believe Saddam has no WMD?? [Re: Innvertigo]
    #1394222 - 03/20/03 06:34 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Forgive me inny, but you being "pretty confident" doesn't exactly inspire me with confidence.

You've heard Shrub tell you they have em - that's basically your entire basis for believing it.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

Offlineflow
outlaw immortal
Re: Do you actually believe Saddam has no WMD?? [Re: Xlea321]
    #1394262 - 03/20/03 06:46 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Best not to believe either Saddam or Bush but the UN weapons inspectors on the ground

or Dr. Khidhir Hamza. The only reason to believe the weapons inspectors would be if you thought Saddam was giving full cooperation, which he wasnt.
Quote:

That's a higher percentage disarmament figure than any other country on earth.

hahahahahaha, i just love how you try to make points out of nothing

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Loc: Crackerville, Michigan U...
Re: Do you actually believe Saddam has no WMD?? [Re: Xlea321]
    #1394266 - 03/20/03 06:47 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Forgive me inny, but you being "pretty confident" doesn't exactly inspire me with confidence

i'd believe Colin Powell over you anyday...or are you agreeing with the BBC?

Quote:

that's basically your entire basis for believing it.

do you actually think before you type?

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Words of Wisdom: Individual Rights BEFORE Collective Rights

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

Offlineflow
outlaw immortal
Re: Do you actually believe Saddam has no WMD?? [Re: Ellis Dee]
    #1394271 - 03/20/03 06:49 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

To my knowledge Iraq has never possessed atomic weapons, which are the only weapons of mass destruction.

so we should wait til he gets one then??
as i have posted in another thread, there is proof that saddam has been trying to obtain the components necessary to build a nuke.

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

Loc: London UK
    #1394275 - 03/20/03 06:50 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's a higher percentage disarmament figure than any other country on earth.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hahahahahaha, i just love how you try to make points out of nothing

What if its true? I doubt you would check. Your dogma might fall off.

--------------------
Always Smi2le

InvisibleGabbaDj
BTH
 User Gallery

Loc: By The Lake
    #1394279 - 03/20/03 06:50 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I think WMDs are anything that kills or destroys..

Personaly I could kill thousands with one Liter of anthrax with a home made bomb from parts in my garage...

So yah, Im pretty sure Sadam has WMDs.

--------------------
GabbaDj

FAMM.ORG          C8.com                    http://www.beatsopjefiets.com/   

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
Re: Do you actually believe Saddam has no WMD?? [Re: Phred]
    #1394281 - 03/20/03 06:51 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

A quick websearch reveals this, from http://www.wordorigins.org/wordorw.htm --

Weapons of Mass Destruction

This term for a nuclear, biological, or chemical weapon is older than you might think. It actually dates to 1937, before the existence of nuclear or biological weapons. It was first used by the London Times on 28 December of that year, "Who can think without horror of what another widespread war would mean, waged as it would be with all the new weapons of mass destruction?" The original reference is to aerial bombing of cities, which had become a reality that year in the Spanish Civil War, chemicals, and other modern weaponry.

In the 1960s, the term weapons of mass destruction became a jargon term of the arms control community. Throughout the rest of the 20th century, the term pretty much remained an arms control jargon term, until 2002 when events in Iraq brought the term into the public eye.

If you feel more comfortable using the older term "NBC" rather than "WMD", it doesn't change the fact that the 1991 conditional surrender specifically requires that Hussein provide convincing proof of the destruction of all his biological, chemical, and nuclear weaponry AND the destruction of all facilities used for their production.

Call it NBC, call it WMD, call it "nukes, germs, and gas" -- it doesn't alter the principle involved.

pinky

--------------------

Offlineflow
outlaw immortal
Re: Do you actually believe Saddam has no WMD?? [Re: GazzBut]
    #1394325 - 03/20/03 07:04 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

What if its true? I doubt you would check. Your dogma might fall off.

i have no doubt it's true, but i doubt it's verifiable. Also, what i meant was iraq was ordered by the UN to disarm. of course they are going to have a higher "percentage disarmament figure" than other countries in the world.

OfflineEllis Dee
Archangel
Male User Gallery Arcade Champion: Duck Hunt, Enemy Enforcer

Loc: Fire in the sky
    #1394495 - 03/20/03 07:57 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Quote:

To my knowledge Iraq has never possessed atomic weapons, which are the only weapons of mass destruction.

so we should wait til he gets one then??
as i have posted in another thread, there is proof that saddam has been trying to obtain the components necessary to build a nuke.

I don't care if Iraq has 50 a-bombs. He's on the other side of the world and he's never bothered me.

--------------------
"If the foundations be destroyed, what can the righteous do."-King Solomon

And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels,

Offlinegrib
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Here and there
    #1394514 - 03/20/03 08:04 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

ok, to all of you out there who are opposed to this war, do you believe saddam when he says he has no WMD, or Bush when he says saddam does?

I prefer evidence. People should not believe everything they hear or read regardless of source -- verify the facts. Believe half of what you see and none of what you hear.

--------------------
<~>Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake <~>

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
Re: Do you actually believe Saddam has no WMD?? [Re: grib]
    #1394612 - 03/20/03 08:35 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Question: How do you tell when a politician is lying?
Answer: His lips move.

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

OfflineEchoVortex
(hard) member
Re: Do you actually believe Saddam has no WMD?? [Re: Evolving]
    #1394672 - 03/20/03 08:49 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

We'll find out soon enough.

If he has them, odds are overwhelming that he'll use them on US troops. Knowing his psychology, if he's going to die, he'll try to do it with a bang.

If no WMD are deployed against US forces, Saddam didn't have them. Period. Anything that US forces claim to "find" after hostilities are over is clearly suspect (at least for any thinking person).

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop for: Scales

General Interest >> Political Discussion