Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Anonymous

Re: B+ casing
    #18714 - 05/29/00 03:14 PM (23 years, 9 months ago)

anyone? :confused:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offline3Mshroom
old hand

#18716 - 05/29/00 05:08 PM (23 years, 9 months ago)

Sounds reasonable to me. Is this your first time casing? If it is I would just stick with straight topsoil or verm. If you really want to experiment with the peat/oyster shell just make sure that you monitor the PH. If your casing is to acidic it will predispose it to trich.
With a casing you want 80% humidity. Perlite will do the job just fine. Just remember to keep up with the air exchange.

------------------
Be sure to check out www.3mshrooms.homestead.com for your spore needs

--------------------
Corruptissima republicae, plurimae leges
Illegitumus non carborundum

Offlinecactus
journeyman
    #18717 - 05/29/00 05:17 PM (23 years, 9 months ago)

3Mshroom:

You say that with casings, humidity should be around 80%. Using only perlite in the bottom of a sealed Rubbermaid container, do you think that the humidity would get to be a little past 80%? Perlite can really get things humid in there if all goes well...

If that is the case, and condensation is forming all over the inside of the walls, would you recommend having two serparate Rubbermaid terrariums -- one for "straight-up" PF cakes that need all the humidity they can get, and another for the cased cakes? That way, you could seal up the cake-terrarium real well, but with the casing-terrarium you could perhaps leave it slightly off to help with air exchange and lower the humidity a little bit so it's nicer in there for the casings.

Sound like a decent plan to you?

thanks
c

Anonymous

#18718 - 05/29/00 06:02 PM (23 years, 9 months ago)

For the air exchange I was planning on getting two small fans (5 inch diameter) one pointing into the terarium, and one pointing out. This would keep the air moving and keep contams out, but I fear I would loose humidity quickly (I live in a very dry climate). I would only use the fans a couple times a day for a few minutes, so I think it would be ok. I'm also looking at water crystals instead of pearlite. I know I'm a beginer and this is still a relativly new idea, but I really don't want to loose anything to contams. Should I keep the PH at around 7.5? And is the peat moss just a good base for mushrooms to grow on or what? If you have any suggestions, anything, please reply. Thanx again. :tongue:
-TETRA

------------------
.-'~~~-.
.'o oOOOo`.
:~~~-.oOo o`.
`. \~-. oOOo.
`.; / ~. OO:
.' ;---`.o.'
,' ;
; ;
_\\;_\\//_

Offline3Mshroom
old hand

#18719 - 05/29/00 06:41 PM (23 years, 9 months ago)

You definately need different chambers for cakes and cased trays. Cakes like 95-100% humidity. The fans are a good idea.
I use a lower tek approach. I drill 2 5/8" holes up high on the chamber and one 1/2" hole in a bottom corner. I siliconed a piece of an old T-shirt over the holes to prevent insects. This allows excess water to drain and allows the CO2 to vent. It also helps to keep excess humidity down.
Use trays to put your perlite in and you can experiment by adding more or fewer trays as needed to get the right balance.

------------------

--------------------

Anonymous

#18720 - 05/30/00 10:28 AM (23 years, 9 months ago)

What do you think about the water crystals? Should I just stick with pearlite? Should I keep the PH at around 7.5? And what exactly does the peatmoss do? sould I even bother with the limestone? I guess that's everything (for now) sorry for asking so many questions. :redface: Thanx once again
-TETRA

[This message has been edited by Tetra (edited May 30, 2000).]

Offline3Mshroom
old hand

#18721 - 05/30/00 10:54 AM (23 years, 9 months ago)

Psychonaut actually used the crystals as a casing. I don't know how they would work as a humidity supply. Stick with the perlite for humidity. It is tried and true. Like I suggested before. Get some aluminum foil pans and fill them with perlite. Add or subtract them until you find the number needed to maintain your humidity.

------------------

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract