Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Anonymous

Re: Why do I suck at casing?
    #15466 - 05/03/00 12:33 PM (23 years, 10 months ago)

Can someone answer his question. He is doing exactly what I wanted to do for my future casing (pending there is one possible).

I recently thought of following that funky ballon- sea of shrooms recipe in a bigger size. Which is what I think this is.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

#15468 - 05/03/00 01:12 PM (23 years, 10 months ago)

i use turkey pan (aluminum tray, cost about $2). spread 1" moist verm on bottom. crumble fully colonized cake(small as possible, size of beans) over surface of verm. cover w/ moist verm on top just enough so you dont see the crumbled cake. cover the tray w/ aluminum foil w/ ~30 holes, but not too many. place tray into 40 gal rubbermaid container( same terrerium u r goring to use for fruiting). keep in dark place for a week. During that week,(uncover and spray once a day w/ h2o2,water solution.. also dont forget to fan to get rid of co2 build up)

Offline3Mshroom
old hand

#15469 - 05/03/00 01:14 PM (23 years, 10 months ago)

For starters, your casing is too thick. 1/2"-1" max. Secondly if your casing, your humidity shouldn't be above 80%. Also don't bother with the saran wrap. If you must use it, open it and fan it a few times a day.
I would suggest just using straight verm for casing until you get used to seeing how it works. Then you can move on to more complex casings as the learning curve increases

------------------
Be sure to check out www.3mshrooms.homestead.com for your spore needs

--------------------
Corruptissima republicae, plurimae leges
Illegitumus non carborundum

Anonymous

#15470 - 05/03/00 01:16 PM (23 years, 10 months ago)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kronic:
[B]i use turkey pan (aluminum tray, cost about $2). spread 1" moist verm on bottom. crumble fully colonized cake(small as possible, size of beans) over surface of verm. cover w/ moist verm on top just enough so you dont see the crumbled cake. cover the tray w/ aluminum foil w/ ~30 holes, but not too many. place tray into 40 gal rubbermaid container( same terrerium u r goring to use for fruiting). keep in dark place for a week. During that week,(uncover and spray once a day w/ h2o2,water solution.. also dont forget to fan to get rid of co2 build up). After ~week if mycelium shows (just here and there) through the top verm layer, uncover foil and start fruiting process. Use perlite or humidifier tek. good luck

OfflineBoomerZ
old hand
    #15471 - 05/03/00 03:11 PM (23 years, 10 months ago)

This is my first succesgul casing. I baked a buncha vermiculite at 250 for 10 minutes and then raised the heat to 350 and baked for another 15 minutes. Then i sprayed it with a mix of bottled water/H2O2 spray (12:1 ratio). Dont make it too damp...just fairly moist. I scooped the vermiculite right afterwards, with a sterile spoon (H2O2), into a half inch layer. (BTW, im using a metal pot, about 7 inches deep). Then i sterilized the sppon again with peroxide and started to slice of peices of the cake..not very thick, i distributed them evenly ove the layer which had cooled off on its own already (bout 3 or 4 minutes). I made them as even as possible without ever touching the cake bits, or any part of the casing layer. Then i scooped very thin layers of vermiculite over that (dry). Each thin layer i sprayed until it was moist, not wet. Did that until it was at 1/2 inch layer. I covered the pot with saran wrap, no holes, and incubated for 4 days at 75 degrees. (I had to scoop in extra vermiculite later to make it colonize the layer evenly) I then took the saran wrap off when i could see little patches mycelium growing through the top, and put it in my terrarium (10 gal. rubbermaid) with perlite. I got a fishatnk pump and had constant air flow for about 48 hours, with about 10 hours of light each day. The temp was also lower during this time (69 degrees). Dont put the air hose directly on or near the casing..it will dry it out..just in the terratium is fine. Then i waited and about 4 days later i got "pre-pins" which were just little white to yellow bumps, which are now pins. Theres about 40 or so pins right now. (the pot is only 10 inches across. Also, all my previous attempts at casing were with jiffy mix, and they got contams, and just never grew anything. Well, my post is probly long enough so i hope this helps..remember..H2O2 is your FRIEND!

Anonymous

#15472 - 05/03/00 06:59 PM (23 years, 10 months ago)

Is it necessary to sterilize the vermiculate?

Offline3Mshroom
old hand

#15473 - 05/04/00 12:23 AM (23 years, 10 months ago)

Is it necessary to sterilize the verm? Some will say no but I do just to be safe.

------------------
Be sure to check out www.3mshrooms.homestead.com for your spore needs

--------------------
Corruptissima republicae, plurimae leges
Illegitumus non carborundum

Anonymous

#15474 - 05/04/00 07:44 PM (23 years, 10 months ago)

Shroomism, I believe that misting every day is not necessary or good for your casings.
This was told to me by Ryche, the man himself, the legend, the teacher.
I think you will drown the mycelium by watering so much. They prefer their water in molecularized form. This is achievable with some combination of perlite,pump and/or drip-spray shield(a la PF Tek method)
be patient and try not to get frustrated, it took me a few tries and i am far from,"having it down" go for it.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale