Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblesoochi
Chef
 User Gallery

Loc: The Richest County
Taboo: Drugs.
    #1824172 - 08/17/03 08:40 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

The title of a National Geographic show, currently on air (as of 10:00pm est) on the N.G. Channel.

Very interesting. They show the differences between the western view of drugs (which of course is bad) the views of different cultures. The one that caught my attention was a bunch of old Mexicans going through a spirtual cleansing using San Pedro. What got me was how drugs are portrayed in different areas of the world. People in Mexico, for example, revere the spiritual link with entheogens. This practice has been around for thousands of years, and to this day. Whereas the western culture deem drugs in a negative light, albeit from years of negative stigma from pious blindness.

My point is: is it right to keep people from drugs? a substance in which they feel the oneness with the world, the extreme hapiness and joy of life? My belief is that the western cultures have used religion (the source of ethics and morals) as an excuse to ban and/or regulate drug use. Maybe because they fear that people who see the light (and their god)will no longer have need for a structured/organized religion, that they find hapiness in themselves.

In the show, an anthropologist states that in a lot of ancient cultures, the use of "drugs" without the guidance of a shaman is considered pointless. Could this be the very source of what we consider a religion. I can almost picture ancient man, be given a sacrament and believing that the hapiness and fullfillment experienced stems from the shaman, or what we would consider a memeber of the clergy.

I don't know, just some food for thought.

--------------------
Wee, sleeket, cowran, tim'rous beastie,
O, what panic's in thy breastie!
Thou need na start awa sae hasty,
Wi' bickering brattle!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineFaaip_De_Oiad
as above, so below
Male User Gallery

Loc: Malice, Tx
Re: Taboo: Drugs. [Re: soochi]
    #1824220 - 08/17/03 09:00 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

excellent post, you get a rating! :smile:

InvisibleFungushungry
Addict

Loc: Whispering Winds
Re: Taboo: Drugs. [Re: Faaip_De_Oiad]
    #1824229 - 08/17/03 09:04 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Damn i just missed it but it comes back on at 1am est :smile: im goin stay up for it .. good lookin out

--------------------
"Early man walked away
As modernman took control
There mind's weren't all the same
And to conquer was their goal
So he built his great empire
And he slaughtered his own kind
He died a confused man
And killed himself in his own mind"

Offlinedibbles
Just a normalguy with nothingto lose.

Loc: Exactly where you'd never...
Re: Taboo: Drugs. [Re: Faaip_De_Oiad]
    #1824250 - 08/17/03 09:10 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

It's unfrotunate that drugs are looked down at, of course some drugs are of little to no spiritual use, ie speed and coke, but lets say some joe shmo believes he can find inner guidance by ingesting peyote or eating a handful of mushies, than by all means does he deserve that right, just as much right as someone has to go read a bible, the problem arises when one thing conflicts the other, and society goes to the thing that was first, in this case a religion. To one his own,and for "legal" purposes the way i look at it, is if you hurt someone due to drugs than by all means are you responsible, just like if killing someone "in the name of god" or if what you beleived effected someone negativly, that is also your responsibility.

many people dont do drugs for spiritual reasons, many for leisure, and although with some drugs that is my intent, i do love dearly the experience of what i am doing and what i gain from it, seems though, the people who truly look for inner guidance via psychedelics or drugs on that matter, rarely hurt people or kill in a haze of drug induced state, its when greed and power and addiction get into the picture.

Instead of taking away the drugs, which are there, maybe for a reason, people should be educated and have the potential to experience what they desire for the right reasons, under the right circumstances.

bleh, hopefully that wasnt to offsubject, great post man, hopefully it keeps going.

--------------------
You've succumb to an empty fate, your false prophets are gone, your life,meaningless, your heart and head broken, and we're all laughing.

InvisibleFungushungry
Addict

Loc: Whispering Winds
Re: Taboo: Drugs. [Re: dibbles]
    #1824552 - 08/17/03 10:52 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

its on again.. damn some HUGE pedro's

--------------------
"Early man walked away
As modernman took control
There mind's weren't all the same
And to conquer was their goal
So he built his great empire
And he slaughtered his own kind
He died a confused man
And killed himself in his own mind"

Offlineliftedoff420
i need drugs

Loc: fo-1-five
Re: Taboo: Drugs. [Re: Fungushungry]
    #1824698 - 08/17/03 11:54 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Western society, the DEA, and all those old white fucks in washington are the most evil people on this planet.....words cannot express how much i hate them so im not gonna type anything....just a big AWKUEBAWIDVALHDVAWDYVASFUCKSHITFUCKSDAJKDBAKWDBHADKFUCKFUCUCKUFCKFUCKUFUCKDEAFUCKTHEDEADJDBWDKLBALDKHBDABDWKHBDDEADDEAJADNBAKBDWJDBFUCKFUKADBADKBAWKDLBDHAWKBDHLDBWAOUDOAHDAARAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!DDDDDIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEPIIIIIGGGGSSSS!!!

Invisiblesoochi
Chef
 User Gallery

Re: Taboo: Drugs. [Re: Fungushungry]
    #1825395 - 08/18/03 07:17 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

But how are we to know that religion came first? my feeling is that religion stemmed from the sacraments that were ingested by cavemen. Then a millenia of evolution has brought us what we know as religion?

--------------------
Wi' bickering brattle!

OfflineTheHobbit
Pot Head Pixie

Loc: the Oily Way...
    #1825456 - 08/18/03 08:12 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Soochi, you'd probably enjoy 'Food of the Gods' by Terrance McKenna, he argues that shrooms were a catalyst for religous ecstacy initially, and that we've gotten away from this basis for religious experience over the ensuing millenia. The Elusian Mysteries, similiarly, are believed to be either shroom or ergot based...either way, gotta eat those shrooms, man!

Invisiblesoochi
Chef
 User Gallery

Re: Taboo: Drugs. [Re: TheHobbit]
    #1825540 - 08/18/03 08:59 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I've read some of Mckenna's written material. Havn't read Food of the Gods though, very intriguing.

--------------------
Wi' bickering brattle!

OfflineJhadAgainstReality
the only thinglonger than myname is my penis

Loc: england
    #1825624 - 08/18/03 09:55 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

im starting a novel about the future where religion and entheogens, both modern day ones and yet-to-be-invented ones, are merged together, forming a near-perfect utopia. I think the two go together like fish and chips.

--------------------
"Listen Bush, i dont have any weapons. are you listening asshole? i dont have any fucking weapons! whats your problem, you fucking prick? Do you, like, WANT to go to war or something?! hey! whats all that laughter? whats so fucking funny?! Bush? BUSH! *click* Hello? HELLO?"

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag