Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Ayahuasca, Morning Glory Seeds, San Pedro

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinealphaone
Big Detail
Male
Sacrament indigenous to your area
    #3570134 - 01/02/05 06:51 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I think it was Timothy Leary who said that almost every region in the world has its own drug (i.e. chemical, usually a plant) which is capable of producing spiritual transcendence and ego death. The substance in question can usually be found growing locally or readily prepared using some ancient techniques. The substance is reverred as a sacrament and is attributed supernatural properties. Shamans who know how to use it properly are also hugely respected, but its use can be quite wide-spread among laymen as well.

Now, as far as I know, the following sacraments are indigenous to these places (this is by no means some definite chart):

- Psilocybin mushrooms ? Latin America
- Peyote / San Pedro ? Latin America
- Ergot preparations ? Ancient Greece (kykeon ?), Early Christianity (ergot-infested bread?)
- Amanita Muscaria ? Many tribes of Northen Europe
- Cannabis ? India, Muslim countries (?)
- Opium ? China, Muslim countries (?)

etc.

So, suppose there was no Internet, and you wanted to consult with the wise man / wise woman of your people. Is he going to use some special substance that has a long tradition of being used as sacrament in your area? If so, what?s the name of that substance or plant?

In other words, what substances or plants are most widely used in your culture for achieving altered states of consciousness?

If some plant was introduced to your culture relatively short time ago, and is now prevalent (such as is the case with cannabis in most of East-European countries and North America nowdays), try to remember which plant was used before it (e.g. one hundred years ago? One thousand years ago? Before that?)

Edited by alphaone (01/02/05 06:52 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineBal0n
Shroomer

Loc: the Netherlands
Re: Sacrament indigenous to your area [Re: alphaone]
    #3570160 - 01/02/05 07:14 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I live in the Netherlands, therefore it should probably be Amanita Muscaria. But it wouldn't surprise me if there was some ancient use of psilocin containing mushrooms, because some species are quite common in the wild over here..

--------------------
"A human being is part of a whole, called by us the 'Universe' - a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings, as something seperated from the rest - a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circles of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty."
- Albert Einstein

Offlinetwilight715
Just anotherFreak in theFreak Kingdom

Re: Sacrament indigenous to your area [Re: Bal0n]
    #3570173 - 01/02/05 07:21 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

i bet there was a lot of psilocybin mushroom use among native americans in the pacific northwest of the US. mushrooms grow like crazy there.

--------------------
"He was too weird to live, and too rare to die."
- Hunter S. Thompson

"Mushrooms have no known adverse side-effects, other than leaving you feeling fatigued and probably surrounded by a load of mad paintings and some half-eaten chocolate bars."

Offlinealphaone
Big Detail
Male
Re: Sacrament indigenous to your area [Re: twilight715]
    #3570405 - 01/02/05 10:15 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Yes it seems logical that psilocybin mushrooms have been used by other people besides Latin Americans. They grow almost everywhere. its just that no written documents or vivid stories exist about that.

On the other hand what might have Australian Aborigines used, what psychedelic plant does grow in their place. What the Africans? Besides mushrooms I think they have plenty of other exotic plants. What have Eskimoes used (if anything - not much plants in all that ice)?

OfflineBal0n
Shroomer

Loc: the Netherlands
    #3570423 - 01/02/05 10:28 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

It's quite well known that most African tribes still use iboga.

--------------------
"A human being is part of a whole, called by us the 'Universe' - a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings, as something seperated from the rest - a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circles of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty."
- Albert Einstein

InvisibleHELLA_TIGHT
Madge the Smoking Vag
Female User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Afghanistan Flag
Re: Sacrament indigenous to your area [Re: Bal0n]
    #3574189 - 01/03/05 05:10 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

datura is what the native americans used around my part of california

--------------------

OfflineInfrared
sleeping
Male User Gallery Arcade Champion: El Emigrante

Loc: Chicago, USA
Re: Sacrament indigenous to your area [Re: HELLA_TIGHT]
    #3574974 - 01/03/05 02:29 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

illinois bundleflower

dmt me sir

--------------------
When chemistry is outlawed.. Only outlaws have chemistry:rainbowdrink:

InvisibleSlite
Lost in Life
 User Gallery
Loc: UK
Re: Sacrament indigenous to your area [Re: Infrared]
    #3575995 - 01/03/05 07:59 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I'm guessing people around my area (UK) used psilocybin mushrooms because libs grow all over the place here.

--------------------
"You can either believe you can do something, or believe you can't.... either way your right"

Offlinegnrm23
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: n. e. OH, USSA
    #3578426 - 01/04/05 08:58 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

--------------------
old enough to know better
not old enough to care

Offlineincubaby_421
half naked andfull witted
 User Gallery

Loc: the center of the univers...
Re: Sacrament indigenous to your area [Re: gnrm23]
    #3579744 - 01/04/05 04:15 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

i think cocaine, they called it snuff, at least a hundred years ago they did, but nevermind im stupid that doesnt answer the question at all, i dont know, i live in ohio, maybe corn stalks are hallucinogenic, thats about all we have, or maybe soybeans....

--------------------
"yet the more i dig, the more i consume, the more i unfold... the less protected i feel.
i am the spit on the hair of the son of an electron, swimming around the nucleus of a cell inside the sperm of a killer bee, and my purpose is as nebulous as why weve been bestowed with the capacity to give a shit" Brandon Boyd

Offlinetheknighterrant
errant knight
 User Gallery

Loc: somewhere in western cana...
Re: Sacrament indigenous to your area [Re: twilight715]
    #3579824 - 01/04/05 04:36 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

strangely enough, i have found little evidence of archaic use of psilocybin mushroom use in the pacific northwest indigenous cultures. mostly tobacco and physical deprevation. this is interesting in and of itself since these mushrooms are common to the area.
i do have a half formed theory,though. it would appear that the native tribes in the northwest (of north america) were some of the last peoples to migrate from the old world (along with the innuit cultures). since there is little entheogen use by either of these societies, i am led to believe that their spiritual teachings had become almost completely static by the time of their settlement of the new world. since the original areas of settlement (the artic) did not contain the environmental factors necessary for psilocybin mushrooms, by the time that they did migrate to areas where they grow, there was no need for entheogen use.
other native peoples of the new world, specifically anything from the southern u.s. and down arrived at much early epochs and were still rather plastic in their religious practices. given the abundance of entheogens in the souther half the new world, they quickly took up their use for spiritual activities.
clearly more research needs to be done on the northern native cultures to discover any archaic use of entheogens.

tke

--------------------
The oldest and strongest emotion of man is fear. The oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.
--H.P. Lovecraft

Demented Piper Press

InvisibleToolTroll
tourettic
Male User Gallery

Loc: N. Cack
Re: Sacrament indigenous to your area [Re: theknighterrant]
    #3581998 - 01/05/05 12:34 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Well, the native americans in this area (Georgia, USA) used to ingest a drink made from local holly plants. Can't remember which one, but was an Ilex. Anyway, it contained large amounts of caffeine and the natives drank and danced and vomited all night long. :smile:

--------------------
"This whole idea that different is bad, that a change in consciousness is in itself harmful, is really one of the fundamental problems inherent in the drug war.” - Rick Doblin
my cactus collection
You vote with your dollars. Everyday. Vote responsibly.

Offlineincubaby_421
half naked andfull witted
 User Gallery

Loc: the center of the univers...
Re: Sacrament indigenous to your area [Re: ToolTroll]
    #3584179 - 01/05/05 03:26 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

so while they were drinking ayahuasca in the amazon our natives of the u.s. dicovered strong coffee... amazing

--------------------
"yet the more i dig, the more i consume, the more i unfold... the less protected i feel.
i am the spit on the hair of the son of an electron, swimming around the nucleus of a cell inside the sperm of a killer bee, and my purpose is as nebulous as why weve been bestowed with the capacity to give a shit" Brandon Boyd

Invisiblelearning_byte
click here

#3587412 - 01/06/05 04:02 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

From where I am those would be the coke plant, San pedro, Ayahuasca (yague), psilocybin mushroom, tobacco and a lot of other plants that come in parts of the rituals.

--------------------

Edited by learning_byte (01/07/05 06:10 AM)

Offlineguri
Master of theimprobablitydrive

Loc: PNWish.
    #3587529 - 01/06/05 04:43 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

i know that amanitas grow in the pnw of north america and for some reason i remember hearing about native eating them, but im 100% on that.

--------------------
"If you don't believe drugs have done good things for us, then go home and burn all your records, all your tapes, and all your CDs because every one of those artists who have made brilliant music and enhanced your lives? The Beatles were so fucking high, they let Ringo sing a few songs." --Bill Hicks

InvisibleAdden
David Reishi Fan Club
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Amongst the Dunes
Re: Sacrament indigenous to your area [Re: guri]
    #3587559 - 01/06/05 04:54 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Only thing here that I'm know of are sub alts, amanitas, morning glory, tobacco, and there's gotta be something containing DMT I'm probably just not aware of it.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Ayahuasca, Morning Glory Seeds, San Pedro

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience