Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 |  [ show all ]
Re: Laptop for school? [Re: Maverick]
    #16754099 -

I've got an older model eee pc, and I love it.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Laptop for school? [Re: Sundrop]
    #16754114 -

I think a tablet with a keyboard is superior to a net book.  More expensive too though.  I have an ASUS Transformer, it's sweet.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Laptop for school? [Re: Maverick]
    #16754125 -



--------------------
THE PHILOSOPHY OF LIBERTY <---                                               


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Laptop for school? [Re: DieCommie]
    #16754131 -

I only use mine for emails and browsing the net.  I use my desktop or other laptop for code and whatnot.  My girl has an iPad, but I rarely use it.  I don't even really use my netbook much, anymore.  I use my phone way more.  I just took notes in a notebook in college, if my class didn't have a computer in it already.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Laptop for school? [Re: RoastedPete]
    #16754294 -

RoastedPete said:
Maverick said:
I know the older netbooks were highly underpowered, but it's looking like the new ones are improving- 4gb DDR3, a decent GPU for playing HD video, and a dualcore CPU.  I know you're trying to aim me in the right direction though RoastedPete, thank you!



Your welcome!

Well if you must get a netbook, I took a few moments to check out that Lenovo, and my vote is with that. You can stuff up to 8 gigs of RAM (which is usually about 40 bucks) into that thing no problem. Couldn't find any other specs on the asus, other than what amazon says.

Or did you already settle on one?



http://usa.asus.com/Eee/Eee_PC/Eee_PC_1225B/

I did some google searching and you can upgrade to 8GB as well in the eee as well.  I went with the Asus only because I've used asus products for years now, and have more experience with them.  The Lenovo looks really nice though, I'm hoping I don't regret not going with the Lenovo.  :smile:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Laptop for school? [Re: Maverick]
    #16754359 -

Mav, i was looking at that exact Asus and ultimately settled on the extra hundred bucks for something that is upgradeable and doesn't have it's RAM soldered into the motherboard, could not accept SSD if i wanted and had a slower hard drive to boot also with a less generous battery life.


so those were my reasons. i was definitely leaning towards the Asus at first though, for at least 3 weeks, before decided on the Lenovo. i also hope you don't regret it, Mav, but let me know how you like it as that particular netbook was my runner-up.


honestly though, same specs only the Asus had a lot less wiggle room.


--------------------
-- Accept my heart warming gift of TREE SCRATCHIES!!! I absolve thee!! --

JaP: 30,000 lines of gay, cock, and fag can't be wrong
Ped: only in #shroomery is "smuggle opium in her ass" followed by "i don't want shitty opium" which is followed by " *** Joins: PENISSQUAD"
--
JaP: What would this place be without random sluts?
JaP: Nothing, I tell you.


:heart: :todcasil: :heart:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Laptop for school? [Re: Acidic_Sloth]
    #16754456 -

Yeah, I was figuring I'm probably not ever going to update my netbook hehe.  The Lenovo is attractive due to the fact that you have the upgrade-ability, and attach-ability. The main reason for leaning toward Asus was because now that I'm a full time student I have no income. D:  So the cheaper at the moment the better, as long as I'm getting performance that isn't making me angry at the device. :smile:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Laptop for school? [Re: Acidic_Sloth]
    #16754467 -

Netbooks are absolutely atrocious to type on if you don't have tiny lady hands.  I hope you don't plan to do a lot of typing with it.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Laptop for school? [Re: pwnasaurus]
    #16754487 -

I used to take notes back in the day on a foldout palm pilot keyboard.  :p

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Laptop for school? [Re: Maverick]
    #16754589 -

Just out of curiosity, have you thought about maybe trying a tablet?  Android tabs come in a variety of sizes and shapes and almost everyone has bluetooth so you could easily attach a tactile keyboard and mouse if you need one. It has all the apps you would need to write reports and do spreadsheets. Some even have the capability to do handwriting recognition. I find them to be more portable, lighter weight and have a longer battery life than most laptops.

But if tablets are too light weight for your needs, definitely stay away from Netbooks. For $100 more you can get a full blown laptop that can do so much more and can be upgraded.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Laptop for school? [Re: Shroomacabra]
    #16754618 -

Shroomacabra said:
Just out of curiosity, have you thought about maybe trying a tablet?  Android tabs come in a variety of sizes and shapes and almost everyone has bluetooth so you could easily attach a tactile keyboard and mouse if you need one. It has all the apps you would need to write reports and do spreadsheets. Some even have the capability to do handwriting recognition. I find them to be more portable, lighter weight and have a longer battery life than most laptops.

But if tablets are too light weight for your needs, definitely stay away from Netbooks. For $100 more you can get a full blown laptop that can do so much more and can be upgraded.



I completely agree about avoiding netbooks.  Waste of money in my opinion.  A full-size laptop will be so much more useful.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Laptop for school? [Re: pwnasaurus]
    #16755036 -

A small cheap computer definitely has its uses IMO. Many people just don't really need any more computing power anyway, and you can always use an external monitor and keyboard etc at home.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Laptop for school? [Re: Maverick]
    #16755346 -

yeah, then you made a good choice i think. let me know how you like it, i was really torn between the two. i am also a full-time student, but financial aid is nice.


as far as the people saying it's hard to type on netbooks, i agree, thankfully the one on this is not noticeably smaller than a regular keyboard, even for my admittedly small and girly hands. i could not afford a full-size laptop, nor would i want to carry it around if i could. after playing around with iPads and the like, i would never consciously spend money on a tablet.


Mav: fuck the haters, you're gonna love your new notebook.


--------------------
-- Accept my heart warming gift of TREE SCRATCHIES!!! I absolve thee!! --

JaP: 30,000 lines of gay, cock, and fag can't be wrong
Ped: only in #shroomery is "smuggle opium in her ass" followed by "i don't want shitty opium" which is followed by " *** Joins: PENISSQUAD"
--
JaP: What would this place be without random sluts?
JaP: Nothing, I tell you.


:heart: :todcasil: :heart:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Laptop for school? [Re: Acidic_Sloth]
    #16756192 -

pwnasaurus said:
I completely agree about avoiding netbooks.  Waste of money in my opinion.  A full-size laptop will be so much more useful.




As I mentioned previously, I already have a fullsize laptop.  I don't want to use it because it's 17.2" obtrusively large, and is a powerhouse and requires an outlet to really work more than an hour with.


Acidic_Sloth said:
yeah, then you made a good choice i think. let me know how you like it, i was really torn between the two. i am also a full-time student, but financial aid is nice.


as far as the people saying it's hard to type on netbooks, i agree, thankfully the one on this is not noticeably smaller than a regular keyboard, even for my admittedly small and girly hands. i could not afford a full-size laptop, nor would i want to carry it around if i could. after playing around with iPads and the like, i would never consciously spend money on a tablet.


Mav: fuck the haters, you're gonna love your new notebook.



I'm excited about it!  I have a water-cooled powerhouse at home, with an overclocked quadcore Phenom-II @ 4GHz per core, a 5850 overclocked vidcard, and 4gb of RAM (Need to update the PC soon though to something with DDR3 and 8-16GB RAM), and my traveling laptop for photoshop is an Asus G72 with a quadcore C2D and 6gb of RAM and a GTX 260M vidcard, so I'm set as far as power goes.  A tiny netbook for general work that's light-weight is all I need now!  I'll let you know how it goes! 

Also, didn't know you were a Bio major as well!  I may have to ask for some help later in the semester on some things!  I wasn't good in bio in highschool because I was too busy screwing off with my game design ideas... Now that those are all gone, I feel I can succeed quite well if I put my mind into it!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Laptop for school? [Re: Maverick]
    #16756467 -

Maverick said:
pwnasaurus said:
I completely agree about avoiding netbooks.  Waste of money in my opinion.  A full-size laptop will be so much more useful.




As I mentioned previously, I already have a fullsize laptop.  I don't want to use it because it's 17.2" obtrusively large, and is a powerhouse and requires an outlet to really work more than an hour with.


Acidic_Sloth said:
yeah, then you made a good choice i think. let me know how you like it, i was really torn between the two. i am also a full-time student, but financial aid is nice.


as far as the people saying it's hard to type on netbooks, i agree, thankfully the one on this is not noticeably smaller than a regular keyboard, even for my admittedly small and girly hands. i could not afford a full-size laptop, nor would i want to carry it around if i could. after playing around with iPads and the like, i would never consciously spend money on a tablet.


Mav: fuck the haters, you're gonna love your new notebook.



I'm excited about it!  I have a water-cooled powerhouse at home, with an overclocked quadcore Phenom-II @ 4GHz per core, a 5850 overclocked vidcard, and 4gb of RAM (Need to update the PC soon though to something with DDR3 and 8-16GB RAM), and my traveling laptop for photoshop is an Asus G72 with a quadcore C2D and 6gb of RAM and a GTX 260M vidcard, so I'm set as far as power goes.  A tiny netbook for general work that's light-weight is all I need now!  I'll let you know how it goes! 

Also, didn't know you were a Bio major as well!  I may have to ask for some help later in the semester on some things!  I wasn't good in bio in highschool because I was too busy screwing off with my game design ideas... Now that those are all gone, I feel I can succeed quite well if I put my mind into it!



Yeah that's fair, 17.2" is certainly a little obnoxious to be carrying around everywhere - I guess I also have pretty big hands, a netbook is just an awful experience to type on for me.  I think the best use for them is travelling IMO, since they're super small and light.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Laptop for school? [Re: pwnasaurus]
    #16756708 -

I wish I had bought the 15" laptop instead of the 17, then I would have best of both worlds hehe.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Laptop for school? [Re: Maverick]
    #16756739 -

I have to recommend the Lenovo too. They are cheap and quality.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Laptop for school? [Re: scoredon]
    #16756835 -

Now I'm wishing I went with the Lenovo.  I already ordered the asus though heh.  I will let you know if it was a decent decision of a  :failboat:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Laptop for school? [Re: Maverick]
    #16757115 -

i have a netbook (msi winbook) i use for work. it's nothing special but it lets me sit on the couch while i deal with idiots shopping for cars (it's my crappy student job for now - i work from home). i use a bluetooth keyboard for it though. they make small ones that might be okay to carry around with you maverick. i bet you could get a full size carrying case to fit all of that stuff in. idk, just an idea.

i don't think tablets are a waste of money, but i use my tablet to read comics and control spotify, so it never leaves my apartment. i don't sit and use it like a computer. it's more just a toy i happened to acquire for upgrading my phone. i read on it nightly for hours though, so money well spent. :shrug:


--------------------
I'm up to my ears in unwritten words. - J.D. Salinger

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Laptop for school? [Re: millzy]
    #16764546 -

I will never recommend Asus again.  I'm sending this piece of shit back, it was full of bloatware, doesn't allow me to boot from USB to reinstall a new HDD, and the USB drives randomly stopped working this morning, they don't even power shit, this might be a windows problem but since i can't fix windows, I can't fix the issue.

How's that Lenovo as far as installing a new OS?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 |  [ show all ]


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* I finally got a laptop! Maverick 628 6 03/10/10 05:16 PM
by jadavi
* Alienware Laptops
( 1 2 3 all )
CrossingTheStar 3,678 55 12/15/11 11:48 PM
by CrossingTheStar
* Should I get this laptop?
( 1 2 all )
Rainman420 1,789 22 10/25/11 03:20 PM
by NWlight
* how to stop a laptop from overheating?
( 1 2 all )
kintos 3,828 31 04/07/10 06:45 AM
by DeathCompany
* What kind of laptop should I get?
( 1 2 3 4 5 6 all )
Magicman69 5,308 108 12/15/13 11:41 PM
by CosmicJoke
* Female teacher caught having sex with student in classroom
( 1 2 all )
LobsterSauceDiscord 9,836 30 03/09/09 01:27 PM
by Platinum
* Doctors' Poor Handwriting Kills 7,000 and Injures 1.5 Million Annually TwoGuys 1,287 5 01/16/07 10:10 AM
by hoopershroomer
* My laptop isn't such a great gaming rig anymore... help?
( 1 2 all )
the spiral 2,120 36 08/04/13 12:03 PM
by ModestMouse

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
5,289 topic views. 2 members, 42 guests and 163 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.037 seconds spending 0.007 seconds on 16 queries.