Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinekukusz
Owner of belowhot monkey!

Loc: East Coast
harvesting questions -green stuff shows up (pic)!
    #1647657 - 06/20/03 08:48 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Hi, so my friend has had two decent harvests off just these two particular cakes and he is now into his second flush on both of them. One of the cakes turned green in one spot and he knew it was from an abort he probably missed. The other cake has flushed nicely but now he noticed some green growing at the bottom of one patch - argh!! He knows that this flush and cake is probably lost, but what can he do to avoid this in the future? He picked the last batch off this cake very well and it came off cleanly, but he noticed that where he harvested it is turning a very dark green under the surface, he assumes it is pieces of the old harvest turning green. How do you harvest BRF cakes correctly so that you don't get this?

here is a picture of the green spot developing...

--------------------
All of my posts are for discussion purposes only. All posts concerning cultivation of mushrooms refer to legal gourmet mushrooms only. Yes, I support monkey-human relationships.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleAinasko
Oksania
Re: harvesting questions -green stuff shows up (pic)! [Re: kukusz]
    #1647678 - 06/20/03 08:56 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Looks like you may have Trichoderma harzianum or commonly known as Trich.

It is often caused by poor sanitation, flies, wet compost low in ammonia or anaerobiosis.

It is often noticed first on the surface, but begins deep in the compost. If you dig deeper, you may notice an infection.

You could try to remove the infected area on cakes and casings and lightly spray the area with a diluted solution of h2o2 or diluted solution of salt water.

The best prevention is proper preparation and cleaning techniques.

--------------------
Ainasko is my name backwards. I'm a girl!

Offlinekukusz

Re: harvesting questions -green stuff shows up (pic)! [Re: Ainasko]
    #1647756 - 06/20/03 09:47 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

thanks for the reply - my friend has dug deeper into the other cake and it was green pretty deep into it. The thing is, it only started started in the areas that were harvested - is this coincidence or is there something my friend can do to prevent this (other than proper preperation and cleaning techniques). So are you implying that the infection might have been caused before the harvest or due to dirty harvesting?

--------------------
All of my posts are for discussion purposes only. All posts concerning cultivation of mushrooms refer to legal gourmet mushrooms only. Yes, I support monkey-human relationships.

InvisibleAinasko
Oksania
    #1647763 - 06/20/03 09:54 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Often it occurs prior to the sterilization and just as often afterwards. Since it was not noticed until later, assume it was contracted later.

Bacteria thrives under two conditions. Warm and moist. Most people overlook their humidifer as a source for contamination. I would look there first.

--------------------

Offlinekukusz

#1647764 - 06/20/03 09:56 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

that's a good point - my friend does not keep his humidifier clean enough I think. Thanks for the helpful suggestions, live and learn...

--------------------

InvisibleAinasko
Oksania
    #1647774 - 06/20/03 10:02 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

There is a product called Dura Sept that can be added to evaporative humidifiers. It controls the build-up of bacteria and algae without harming your crops.

It shouldn't cost more than $20 in your local pharmacy.

If you can't find it locally, give me your address and I'll send you some.

--------------------

Offlinekukusz

#1647785 - 06/20/03 10:06 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

thank you :smile:  He'll give it a look today.  How far does the 20 bucks go?

oh and how contagious is the Trich?  Airborne, touch?  Should I be worried about uncontaminated cakes getting the same thing from the other cakes or does it need a medium such as water or touch to move from cake to cake?  Couldn't find that info on the contam page.

--------------------

Edited by kukusz (06/20/03 10:08 AM)

Offlinekukusz

#1647816 - 06/20/03 10:28 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Ordered two bottles of it online, and some cleaner :tongue:

thanks again...

--------------------

Offlinecharvo
JOURNEYMAN
Male

Loc: In The Hand Of The World
    #1647923 - 06/20/03 11:18 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

trich can spread from cake to cake by air my friend has had this happen,i would put the contamed cake somewhere different.better safe than sorry.

--------------------

Offlinecharvo
JOURNEYMAN
Male

Loc: In The Hand Of The World
Re: harvesting questions -green stuff shows up (pic)! [Re: charvo]
    #1647941 - 06/20/03 11:25 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

sorry to jump your post, can anyone help me on this it's kinda the same topic so.

do you rly have to pick every little abort to prepare for the second flush (i incubate mine for a few),cause sometimes you can't get all the stem out they break off and the rlyy small ones to are hard to.is that important?could get by just getting 75% of those aborts.will it contamate like hers did?

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom