Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]
Isolation Tanks
    #16111230 -

Are they a scam? Two of my friends are convinced that they are

Has anyone here ever been in one?


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Isolation Tanks [Re: Wishing Well]
    #16111238 -

No. Research indicates there is something there.

http://www.nova.edu/ssss/QR/QR13-4/kjellgren.pdf ;   [PDF]


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Isolation Tanks [Re: Symbols]
    #16111250 -

i heard only good things so far. a few members here have said they are very relaxing. anywhere where it is not noisy works for me.


--------------------
https://discord.gg/NHHd5y2Uyv

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Isolation Tanks [Re: zZZz]
    #16111256 -

sensory deprivation is def. real so idk how it could be a scam. cover your eyes and tell me you dont hear better or something like that.
idk.. :2cents:

DC


--------------------
The Real violence, the violence that I realized was unforgiveable
Is the violence that we do to ourselves
When we are too afraid to be, who we really are.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Isolation Tanks [Re: Demonic_Chronic]
    #16111289 -



--------------------
Peace Pot Micro-Dot God Loves You High or Not!!!
In order to grow old and wise, you must once have been young and dumb!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Isolation Tanks [Re: zZZz]
    #16111302 -

Symbols said:
No. Research indicates there is something there.

http://www.nova.edu/ssss/QR/QR13-4/kjellgren.pdf ;  [PDF]



the link wont work for me


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Isolation Tanks [Re: Wishing Well]
    #16111317 -

Try Googling "Float tank research PDF" - should be the first link.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Isolation Tanks [Re: Symbols]
    #16111489 -

What's that old movie where the guy chills in the tank, eats mushrooms, then goes in the deprivation chamber on dmt? then turns into a monkey

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Isolation Tanks [Re: Dest]
    #16111509 -

Altered States. It was a gross exaggeration of John Lilly's research.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Isolation Tanks [Re: Symbols]
    #16120190 -

The movie was okay, funny in a bizarre way but lacking content

Maybe we are lucky to have a video with float tanks at all considering how difficult it would be to fill more than an hours worth of time with something that is supposed to be a personal sensory experience

I would take an actual isolation tank over the movie any day

Unfortunately the closest float tank center to me is around 140 miles away; perhaps I will take a road trip out there this summer

Of all the float tank searches I used the one linked below is the only to show one in my state
http://floatationlocations.com/


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Isolation Tanks [Re: Wishing Well]
    #16120321 -

isolation tanks are definitely not a scam.

just don't expect to have a full blown psychedelic experience on your first float. that seems to be what most people who first hear about floating from joe rogan come to expect. and then when nothing happens they think it's a scam.

floating is like any kind of contemplative work. it takes practice to go deeper.

tell you're friends to do some more research (like read Center of the Cyclone by John Lilly (inventor of the float tank)) before coming to the conclusion that float tanks are scams.

EDIT: I have floated only once for two hours and only felt some sort of OBE just before it was time to get out.

Edited by hello_im_alex (04/21/12 01:39 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Isolation Tanks [Re: hello_im_alex]
    #16120348 -

I've also only heard good things! :thumbup:

I definitely want to try it and they exist around here.  I just haven't been able to justifying spending $75-100 for a 1-hour session.  I feel I would be uncomfortable at first and need a few tries.. and then I'd like to trip in it..


--------------------
"You can peel it [language] off the ceiling and make it dance in front of you" - McKenna

<3 .

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Isolation Tanks [Re: hello_im_alex]
    #16120398 -

Will definitely add that book to my list

I don't want to go all that way only to be let down by my first float

Maybe I'll stay in a hotel and do this several times over the course of a few days

If only there were a float center closer to me, I'll have to keep searching

How much do float tanks cost and what degree of maintenance is required?


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Isolation Tanks [Re: Wishing Well]
    #16120627 -

I've floated twice before. Unfortunately the float centers I have access to are really quite expensive. Otherwise I would go consistently. From the two sessions I could reach some deep relaxation and creative thinking states. Like said, it takes more to practice just like any meditation.

It's sad that floating isn't very popular as it's still being sold as a wellness/spa experience, rather than the self-discovery tool that it is. The high price directly reflects that.
I don't know how much it would cost to set up a tank in one's own home. I used to have some CAD documents and layouts on how to build one but I no longer know where I found them. Nothing a little internet searching couldn't find though.

I really want to have one of my own, given I live in a bigger house in which I could manifest it.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Isolation Tanks [Re: AlteredAgain]
    #16120837 -

Joe Rogan swears by them

I've heard a lot about them, I'd love to try it one day

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Isolation Tanks [Re: Ghostwriter] * 1
    #16120927 -

I want to try a float tank some day. Sounds awesome.


One place I would love to check out, or if I was ever rich build one myself.

Orfield anechoic chamber


Quote:
The mad and hectic pace of life, sometimes makes us all crave some peace and quiet. But then, as they say, too much of a good thing can actually be bad for you. That applies to silence, as it turns out people can’t stand to be in the world’s quietest place for too long. The longest a person has lasted in there is 45 minutes.

The place I’m talking about is a room at Orfield Laboratories in South Minneapolis. The room, also known as the ‘anechoic chamber’, is 99.99% sound absorbent. The double-insulated walls are made of steel and foot-thick concrete. Along the walls are also 3.3-foot thick fiberglass acoustic wedges that contribute to the ultra-quietness. The room holds the current Guinness World Record for being the quietest place on Earth. While it does seem like a dream come true, especially for those who live with kids or have stressful jobs, it’s actually not all that great. The room gets so silent that you can actually hear your internal organs at work. And after a while, the hallucinations begin.

The founder and president of Orfield Labs, Steven Orfield says that people are challenged to sit in the chamber with all the lights out. There was this one reporter who managed to stay in there for 45 minutes. Mr. Orfield himself can do it for 30 minutes, in spite of his mechanical heart valve that becomes very loud inside the room. “When it’s quiet, ears will adapt,” he says. “The quieter the room, the more things you hear. You’ll hear your heart beating; sometimes you can hear your lungs, hear your stomach gurgling loudly. In the anechoic chamber, you become the sound.”

The experience is so disorienting that it could drive a person mad. In fact, it is imperative that people sit down. Standing up and walking around is simply impossible. Because we orient ourselves through the sounds we hear when we walk, there are no cues to go by inside the chamber. “You take away the perceptual cues that allow you to balance and maneuver. If you’re in there for half an hour, you have to be in a chair,” Mr. Orfield says.

As bizarre as it seems, the anechoic chamber has plenty of uses. Several manufacturers test their products for noise, and see how they could be made quieter. For instance, the room was used to make Harley Davidson motorbikes much quieter, while retaining their trademark sound. Nasa uses it to put their astronauts through various tests. They are made to float in there in a water-filled container, to see how long it takes before hallucinations begin and whether they could work through it. Because believe it or not, outer space is just one big anechoic chamber – the silence out there is just too loud.
http://www.odditycentral.com/news/worlds-quietest-place-lets-you-hear-your-internal-organs.html



Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Isolation Tanks [Re: 4runner]
    #16120968 -

would this really be that much different from laying in a bath tub with a blind fold or the light turned off.  I do this sometimes.  I think ill try it next time i trip also.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Isolation Tanks [Re: easytoremember]
    #16121044 -

I want to rent a office space and build a float room, and also have a super good enclosed shower and charge by the hour.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Isolation Tanks [Re: easytoremember]
    #16121163 -

easytoremember said:
would this really be that much different from laying in a bath tub with a blind fold or the light turned off.  I do this sometimes.  I think ill try it next time i trip also.




If you are talking about the difference of the silent room, yes it would be. Any sound you make gets absorbed, there is no echo, or reverb, the sound just dies. About the closest you could come to screaming into space.

If you are talking about an isolation tank, there really isn't a comparison to a bathtub. The isolation tanks use a salt water solution (also heated to body temp?) so you are buoyant and not touching anything. I haven't found a bathtub yet where my 6'1" body can lay flat, let alone attempt to dump a crap load of salt in one. Bathrooms are also noisy, lots of reverb and echo, even the sound of water splashing when yo move.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Isolation Tanks [Re: 4runner]
    #16121226 -

it makes you discover that dolphins are intelligent and then you'll write books about the brain


--------------------
fnord

i appreciated the garden before, but i understood it now

psychedelic benefits poll ---->
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/16182497 
[quote]AllGreyThumbs said:
Damn it, they really have to stop calling things LSD that aren't really LSD.  That goes for dealers, police, and the media.  Stop it, stop it, stop it.  It makes the real LSD look bad.[/quote]

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Isolation Tanks
( 1 2 all )
Mighty Bop 2,244 20 06/04/05 01:44 AM
by Jellric
* Joe Rogans giving away his isolation tank Coaster 1,460 16 04/20/08 04:49 AM
by RonaldFuckingPaul
* Isolation Tank Giveaway JonTable 648 12 03/14/08 10:35 PM
by FractalDust
* joe rogan's isolation tank nightkrawler 997 9 06/13/07 08:34 AM
by altershroom
* joe rogan talks about his saltwater isolation tank KingOftheThing 1,013 5 08/31/06 02:43 PM
by Silverwolf
* Floatation tank.
( 1 2 all )
OneMoreRobot3021 2,120 39 12/30/07 09:24 AM
by KaptKid
* My floatation tank experience.
( 1 2 3 all )
OneMoreRobot3021 6,961 54 02/08/08 10:02 AM
by KetamineKatalyst
* Just booked a floatation tank.
( 1 2 3 4 5 all )
OneMoreRobot3021 4,602 92 02/08/08 03:52 PM
by citricacidx

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
2,314 topic views. 5 members, 13 guests and 128 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.025 seconds spending 0.006 seconds on 16 queries.