Home | Community | Message Board

FreeSpores.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Paul Stamets, Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineartfan1
artfan1
Peroxide Manual, Buy it? Yes or No?
    #1599792 - 06/01/03 11:59 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

As a beginner of small time gourmet mushroom growing, I am getting my hands on all the research I can. This site for example is wonderful.

I have the "Growing Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms" book by Stamets and I am considering ordering the other book of his that he co authored "The Mushroom Cultivator".

But I have recently happened across the small peroxide books, "Growing Mushrooms the Easy Way, Volume 1 & 2 by Rush Wayne. It sounds interesting and I am thinking of them as well. But my concern is whether I will end up with stuff already printed in the big books.

The Rush books are only 36 and 23 pages. That's not very big as compared to the others. And the total cost is as much as a 400 page Stamets book. BUT, I am aware that the number of pages may not be a factor here, if the information is valuable it doesn't matter.

Is it worth the cash? Seems a lot for a small, thin book but if it's good info, I am ready to fork over the dough. Anybody have it? Is it worth it? Does it have a lot of little secrets that make it worth the price? I can't find a review on it anywhere.

Oh, and if it's worth it, do I need volume 1 & 2 or is #2 just an update of #1?

Thanks,
artfan1

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinezeronio
Stranger
Male

Loc: Slovenia
Re: Peroxide Manual, Buy it? Yes or No? [Re: artfan1]
    #1600287 - 06/02/03 03:05 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

My first book about mushroom growing was GGMM & later I bought also TMC. The Rush Waynes method is briefly described in GGMM but I highly recomend buying his original booklets. My growing was an almost complete failure until I started to follow his methods.

InvisibleHongosmeester
old sourdough
Male User Gallery
Loc: East Bay (EAST BAY GREASE...
Re: Peroxide Manual, Buy it? Yes or No? [Re: zeronio]
    #1603557 - 06/03/03 04:10 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Waynes method is briefly described in GGMM but I highly recomend buying his original booklets. My growing was an almost complete failure until I started to follow his methods.

I agree I just did a bunch of reishi using his methods

--------------------
Don't fuck with me
I'm a postal worker;-)
A zen master once said to me
don't do anything I tell you to do
so i did

<p><a href="http://www.whump.com/dropbox/other/ujname.html">Get yours</a>.</p>

<p>My <a href="http://tinyurl.com/6valr">Unitarian Jihad Name</a> is: <strong>Brother Neutron Bomb of Compassion</strong>.</p>
<p><a href="http://www.whump.com/dropbox/other/ujname.html">Get yours</a>.</p>

OfflineRaadt
nicht

Loc: azurescending
    #1604647 - 06/03/03 03:00 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Absolutely. In my opinion this works as well as any of stamets methods, if not better for small scale, due to cost.

--------------------
Raadt

-- The information I provide is only information from readings, growing of gourmet mushrooms, and second hand stories--

Offlineartfan1
artfan1
Got 'em!!! [Re: artfan1]
    #1611207 - 06/05/03 01:50 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

:crazy: Ok, so I bought the manuals.

I am not qualified to make a review on it other than MY first experiences as a beginner. I am posting this only to tell other beginners what I feel about it. And I want to stress that I have not had a chance yet to use the methods. This is just my comments on the purchase and reading of the manuals. I will keep you posted on my use of them.

First of all, the title should not include the words "Easy Way". That's a bit misleading.
It is very scientific. Which is bitter sweat. For the beginner, it's overwhelming to say the least. But, having said that, as I learn and get experience, there is information waiting for me to make good use of. So, as I learn, the manual would become more and more useful, rather than becoming useless. Which is good.

Every step of the process involves more materials and ingredients than other methods. And the main ingredients are fuel pellets, which I have not been able to find in our entire area. So, I must alter the method right off. But, in Vol. 2, Rush does give you some alternatives to the pellets. The trade off is that you don't need to invest lots of money in the equipment. But you still need to search down specific substrates and additives. And you will still need a PC.

And I also think it is a bit over priced. Not that the info isn't valuable. But for an electronic pdf file, which has no images, or illustrations, it's a little disappointing, price wise. Well...vol. 1 does have a few photos. The same photos showed for free in the web sites "slide show". Vol. 2 has none, it's just text. But, the info is very condensed and detailed.

Since I have not used the methods yet, I can't say for sure just how "easy" it is once you understand it. But I am looking forward to it. Just as soon as I can put together the list of supplies it requires.

One great thing I will say about the money I spent however, in comparison to the money I spent on a more popular printed book. When I have a question and I email the author of the peroxide manual, he replies very fast with lots of answers and details. When I do that with others authors, if I hear back at all, it takes weeks and the answer is one or two words. So, I am comfortable is saying that yes, Rush needs to beef up his manuals with images and diagrams and stuff but, the money you spend on the manuals is more than just for the manuals themselves. It also includes some great support and obviously years of research.

That's all,
artfan1

OfflineRaadt
nicht

Re: Got 'em!!! [Re: artfan1]
    #1612082 - 06/05/03 05:24 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

look up 'grain spawn the easy way'

i'm sorry but if you don't have basic knowledge of measurement, how is that his fault? the ONLY scientific things discussed are peroxide concentration. That's purely measurement. Highschool chemistry is all that's needed.

Grain spawn the easy way, is the simplest easiest method of making spawn i have ever come across, and requires all of... warm water, instant brown rice, peroxide, and cardboard.

I don't exactly call that difficult.

I'm not trying to flame you, just explaining to those who do read your post, that even with the most minimal math or chemistry knowledge (really only need to know how to calculate a ratio), that this is VERY useful. And it only requires a PC for some things that will decompose peroxide. Not everything. Actually, almost nothing.

But no, it's not easier than PF tek, nor reccomended as a subsitute.

--------------------
Raadt

-- The information I provide is only information from readings, growing of gourmet mushrooms, and second hand stories--

Offlineartfan1
artfan1
Re: Got 'em!!! [Re: Raadt]
    #1612188 - 06/05/03 05:58 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

:confused: No, I didn't take it as a flame at all, and please don't take mine as one in return. Perhaps I didn't make myself clear on what I was trying to say. (I am good at that.)

"How is that his fault?"
I don't think I said anything was "his fault", nor did I say I didn't "have basic knowledge of measurement". At least that's not what I was trying to say. I was actually, putting the limits on myself, not the author. Please notice the use of all capital "MY" in the first paragraph. I would think that most of what I said could easily be taken as a compliment to the author except the price maybe.

MMMM..."High school Chemistry". Well, maybe. But I don't remember them telling us to piss in our formula to increase nitrogen. Which I find to be really cool to learn, but no, I don't consider that simple stuff.

Maybe what I should have posted is this;. Awesome manuals. Don't fully understand them yet. A little pricey for size but what lacks in pages, is made up in quality of information.

I guess it's all in how you interpret what I was saying. I can see now that it can be taken different ways. But, for the most part, I was really complimenting Rush.

I will look up "grain spawn the easy way". Thanks.

That's all,
artfan1

OfflineRaadt
nicht

Re: Got 'em!!! [Re: artfan1]
    #1612553 - 06/05/03 08:23 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

totally fair =)

I am just defensive of this manual, because for me, before I got my flowhood - it was the single most helpful thing I ever bought, for cultivation of gourmet mushrooms. Especially wood lovers. Now I do not use the peroxide methods anymore, except to clean up wild prints on agar.

I also when I read through it, didn't find anything that looked difficult. But when I look back, at the process that people seem to learn (especially through this site), the thought of spawning, cultures, agar, etc.. seem very advanced, so again I apologise. But when this stuff is put into practice, it is actually very easy! the most difficult thing you will have to deal with is learning how to make the appropriate peroxide concentration. And measurement.

Give it a whir, you'll like it, i promise :wink:

--------------------
Raadt

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: Got 'em!!! [Re: Raadt]
    #1613538 - 06/06/03 02:06 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

>before I got my flowhood - it was the single most helpful thing I ever bought, for cultivation of gourmet mushrooms

Same with me. I mainly used the agar methods, but also the grain preparation methods before I had a flowhood.

Invisibleshroomophile
ShroomitusFidelis
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA
    #1615652 - 06/06/03 10:29 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Just peroxidate to 0.15% and your set.

--------------------
Once the mighty oak,was a nut who held his ground.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Paul Stamets, Scales

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms