Home | Community | Message Board

Gaiana.nl
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Gypsum, Paul Stamets, Petri Dish, Pressure Cooker, Scales, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleDmonikal
Bareback up inthis neden
Male User Gallery

Hericium Erinaceus on Fir sawdust. (peroxide)
    #4125997 - 05/03/05 01:25 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Spawn:
peroxide content 0.3% (1 to 10)
nitrogen content 0.4% (low fat soy flour)
fir sawdust pellet fuel (2 kilograms)
lime (crushed limestone)
gypsum (granular)

All dry ingredients were added at once then water with a 1 part peroxide to 10 parts water was added and stirred until well mixed.
I traced around the mouth of the jars on a cereal box and cut out the cardboard disks to be used as an insert for the jar lids to block contaminants. The sawdust was loaded into each jar and the cardboard inserts were placed into the lids. I put a steel heat disperser in the bottom of a very large pot and put enough water into the pot to a depth of about an inch. The pot was brought to a rolling boil (max heat) and the jars were then placed inside and steamed with the lid on for 10 minutes then were immediately taken out and allowed to cool on the counter. After the jars cooled the card board inserts were doused with peroxide and placed back on. Each jar was then inoculated with 3 slices of Hericium Erinaceus impregnated agar each. They colonized in around 14 days at 71 degrees Fahrenheit but were left for an extra 2 weeks. I missed inoculating one jar somehow and it is still sterile and it has been sitting around for 4 months so far.

The Substrate:
peroxide content 0.03 (1 to 100)
Substrate: 0.2% nitrogen content (low fat soy flour)
Fir sawdust pellet fuel (15 kilos)
lime (crushed limestone)
gypsum

Half the water content was divided into 2 large pots 1 was put to boil immediately the other left cool for now. Half of the dry materials were added into a very large plastic bucket (20 litre capacity) and the boiling water was added to the bucket and the bucket lid was put in place and the bucket was put outside to cool. During the cooling time of the bucket the rest of the water was boiled and it was allowed to cool (with the lid in place). When the substrate and the pot of water had cooled completely, hydrogen peroxide was mixed into the pot of water at a 1 to 100 concentration and the pot was dumped into the the substrate bucket and mixed thoroughly with a big steel spoon. After I was done mixing I selected 2 jars of spawn smacked them a bit to break up the spawn and dumped them in a zip lock bag, sealed the bag then powdered the spawn by kneading the bag. The spawn was then dumped into the sawdust and mixed in with a spoon. I put the lid back on the bucket and grabbed 2 square cardboard boxes draped translucent big hard plastic kitchen bag over each (with the openings pulled down over the outside of the boxes). And were filled about half full (couldn't find any properly sized boxes at the liquor store). This entire procedure was repeated the next day with the other half of dry substrate. 1 box colonized in around 2 weeks at 71 degrees Fahrenheit one of the others around 3 weeks. Box 3 and 4 contaminated as I had put the cardboard inserts from the tops of my spawn jars in them because they were covered in mycelium, which seems to have been a bad idea. The 4 boxes sat for around another month and a half because I thought they weren't completely colonized and I noticed box 3 and 4 were contaminated with black mold spreading from the cardboard inserts in the bags so they were thrown out. Neither of the 2 uncontaminated blocks seemed to completely colonize (taking the bags out of the boxes showed an awful lot of undigested sawdust at the bottoms and sides of the bags. I have to assume that they either didn't get enough oxygen or the sawdust has wax or something in it. Well anyway I wrapped both boxes with garbage bags punched a hole in the top of the bags and put them in my fruiting chamber (which is a 120 gallon aquarium turned on it's side with a tarp duck taped over the opening and a piece of wood with a fan attached and a ventilation hole in the bottom of the wood. Four fluorescent bulbs hang above the aquarium and a ultra sonic humidifier is inside the aquarium for humidity as well as a humidity Gage. The humidifier and fan are set to run at one hour intervals for an hour. One block broke while I was trying to dump out the water it had filled up with so it was taken out of the bags and put in the chamber naked. The other I cut a hole into the bottom and propped up one side so it could drain instead of filling up. 5 days later the bagged block produced the beginnings of a mushroom while the other showed no sings of growth and water was pooling on the top a bit, so I covered it in wax paper and 2 days later a whole bunch of mushrooms started growing under the paper. So I let everything grow for around another week and here's some pics of the bagged block at harvest time which weighed almost exactly 200 grams wet (the broken block isn't done yet).

--------------------
Give your money or your life
Take 'em both for all I care
Dump your bullets right here

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
Re: Hericium Erinaceus on Fir sawdust. (peroxide) [Re: Dmonikal]
    #4126802 - 05/03/05 09:27 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

5 shrooms to you for such persistence

Offlinemattymonkey
Feel Like aStranger...
 User Gallery

#4127464 - 05/03/05 01:35 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

cool!

Offlinesleepingbigguy
homosapien
 User Gallery

#4128666 - 05/03/05 06:41 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

did you buy the peroxide manual or is that just experimentation?

OfflineMobius_Strip
Distant Relative
 User Gallery

Loc: Spangladesh
    #4129298 - 05/03/05 09:27 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

WOW! Nice going! how do you make a spore print of something like that?

--------------------
The smart way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of acceptable opinion, but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - even encourage the more critical and dissident views. That gives people the sense that there's free thinking going on, while all the time the presuppositions of the system are being reinforced by the limits put on the range of the debate
-Noam Chomsky

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #4132770 - 05/04/05 03:22 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

:thumbup:

--------------------
buh

OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

#4134004 - 05/04/05 07:43 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

That is beautiful! Nice job!

Invisiblemushrx1
rainy season
 User Gallery
Re: Hericium Erinaceus on Fir sawdust. (peroxide) [Re: Suntzu]
    #4134402 - 05/04/05 09:37 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Great looking dinner there. Anyone try using aspen shavings for substrate?

InvisibleDmonikal
Bareback up inthis neden
Male User Gallery

Re: Hericium Erinaceus on Fir sawdust. (peroxide) [Re: mushrx1]
    #4139319 - 05/05/05 09:26 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks alot! Yes I did purchase both of the peroxide manuals. I was forced to make alterations to the recipes because I was unable to find things like pelleted paper for spawn and not wanting to use inorganic fertilizers etc. I found that low fat soy flour was processed in such a way that the peroxide decomposing enzymes were destroyed meaning it does not have to be pressure cooked before use as well as it is inexpensive and has a very high nitrogen content (7.76%). I found the manuals to be somewhat disappointing. His recipes were rather unwieldy as they were a combination of metric and non metric amounts of materials to be used so I had to convert the non metric numbers to metric so I could easilly scale the recipes up and down for different amounts of substrates to be used. Pellet fuel has also turned out to be terrible stuff to deal with. It is much easier to mix dry ingredients together then to mix large amounts of heavy, dense, wet crap together as well as being quite time consuming. I do not recommend his procedures for anyone who has any intentions of doing bulk growing for any economic benefit. Working with pellet fuel is like mixing cement. However, I can see his procedures being of benefit as long as you don't work with pellet fuel at all. Premixing dried sawdust and the other additives together and THEN wetting it down would be fine. It usually took a good 5 hours from beginning to end working with pellet fuel.

This was my 4th experiment. First I bought a lion's mane kit and grew it and while that was growing I purchased both peroxide manuals. I then purchased all the necessary lab equipment such as petri dishes and measuring glassware and agar/malt and pellet fuel (which was the hardest thing to track down) . I went to the supermarket grabbed a few oyster mushrooms made up a batch of peroxide agar and successfully cloned them (most of my petri dishes went bad but a few survived). Around that time after I had scoured the internet for all the info I could find related to mushroom growing (also stumbling across this site) I bought Stamets: The mushroom cultivator and growing gourmet and medicinal mushrooms and read them through. At about this time my petri dishes were completely covered with mycelium and my lion's mane kit was also done and harvested and cloned as well (this time around almost ALL of my clones succeeded and maybe 1 or 2 dishes contaminated out of the 20 or so I had made up (7 total clone dishes I think and the rest were stored in the fridge). I tried my first few sawdust jars and while these were colonized I experimented with steamed instant white rice and peroxide. The first rice jar I inoculated went bad towards the end so I tried again and the 2 I jars I put together after that did reach full colonization. The instant rice jars colonized completely in a much shorter time then the sawdust took, but I discovered it was simply lack of enough nitrogen supplement, because I had used instant milk powder for a nitrogen supplement and hadn't calculated the percent nitrogen of milk powder into the recipe properly. Now I realized that if I used enough milk powder to meet the amount of nitrogen needed in the substrate it would be VERY expensive. So I read and reread the nutritional and substrate materials charts in the back of stamets books trying to find an organic supplement that was at least inexpensive but one that I could actually get my hands on. The low fat soy flour stuck out in my mind (because I saw that in my local health food store while looking for agar). I did a bit of online research and a website told me that in order to remove the fat from the soy flour the enzymes are also destroyed in the process. Low fat soy flour wasn't really that expensive either like $9 canadian for 2 kilos AND it is organic.
Now I hooked up my 120 gallon aquarium with a fan, a crappy humidifier
from a garage sale and 4 long fluorescent lighbulbs in fixtures hanging above it and put some of my colonized jars inside. The humidity wasn't enough for the rice jars and they dried out and died but the much larger oyster and sawdust jar not only survived but fruited producing nice well formed mushrooms just like they looked in the supermarket! I knew I was on the right track now so I bought an ultrasonic humidifier and made up a full size oyster block and inoculated it with the remaining sawdust jars I had. The addition of the soy flour instead of the milk powder made a rather spectacular difference as the large 2-3 kilo oyster block took less time to colonize then the jars did! Well so I made up my lion's mane spawn and
while that was colonizing I fruited the oyster mushroom block. It pinned like crazy all inside the bag mostly away from the holes after around a week. Got a first flush of around 3/4 of a pound, then my humidifier died and so did the block :frown:. Well everything else I did was in my other post I guess. Now my ultrasonic humidifier died again and this time it is completely fried so I need to get another one immediately.

--------------------

OfflineMobius_Strip
Distant Relative
 User Gallery

Loc: Spangladesh
    #4139875 - 05/05/05 11:55 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Whew! Sociopath is right... sociopathic lionsmane grower, lol. Nice to see your process all the way through. A bit hard to read but good info nonetheless, thanks. I'm curious about the nonfat soy flour. Have you tried using regular soy in a side by side comparison? I saw another thread here where a guy used Mung beans quite successfully. It seems like it might work in this situation. How DO you make a spore print of that thing?

--------------------
The smart way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of acceptable opinion, but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - even encourage the more critical and dissident views. That gives people the sense that there's free thinking going on, while all the time the presuppositions of the system are being reinforced by the limits put on the range of the debate
-Noam Chomsky

Edited by Mobius_Strip (05/05/05 11:56 PM)

InvisibleDmonikal
Bareback up inthis neden
Male User Gallery

Re: Hericium Erinaceus on Fir sawdust. (peroxide) [Re: Mobius_Strip]
    #4140760 - 05/06/05 05:05 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

No I haven't used regular fat soy flour. It would probably work better:

Low fat soy flour composition:
dry matter: 91.5% protein: 48.5% fat: 0.8% fiber: 2.6% N-free extract: 33% total minerals: 6.6% calcium: 0% phosphorus: 0% nitrogen: 7.76% Potassium: 0%

Medium fat soy flour composition: dry matter: 92.9% protein: 47.9% fat: 6.7% fiber: 2.4% N-free extract: 29.9% total minerals: 6.0% calcium: 0% phosphorus: 0% nitrogen: 7.6% potassium: 0%

As you can see the low fat soy flour has around 1/8th the amount of fat content and the fat content of medium fat soy flour would most likely more then make up for the slight losses in other areas. The reason I did not use medium fat soy flour was that I would have needed to pressure cook the medium fat soy flour to destroy it's hydrogen peroxide decomposing enzymes and the low fat soy flour I did not
to. None of my substrate materials or spawn were pressure cooked and the hydrogen peroxide technique is for avoiding using a pressure cooker. You can also avoid using a pressure cooker to make agar, steaming it instead. The spawn was steamed however.

As for your question about a spore print, to get a spore print of a lion's mane mushroom you would have to wait until the mushroom is well past it's prime eating and it has turned yellow or pink and beginning to produce spores, then cut the mushroom off and place it on a piece of tinfoil or whatever you want to take a spore print on, then cover it up and wait like any other mushroom. Oh and I fried that lion's mane mushroom in garlic butter and ate it as a side dish :p.

--------------------

Offlinepsychomike86
Stranger
    #17930398 - 03/09/13 08:13 PM (4 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks for the info, I'm using this tek at the moment!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Gypsum, Paul Stamets, Petri Dish, Pressure Cooker, Scales, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms