Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Amazon Agar

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinechrisscole
Mr
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oxon, England
hydrogen peroxide
    #6360821 - 12/12/06 12:20 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

hi.

was just wondering what kind of success people have had with the peroxide tek? I've got a couple of master cultures which seem to have bacterial contamination (havn't had any mold problems) and would like to transfer them to a dish and grow them clean again. I've just bought some 6% hydrogen peroxide from the pharmacy and am planning on making some agar with it next week.

Also, can you just squirt it on dishes that are already contaminated? Maybe dilute it a little bit and put like 1/2cc in or something.

Chris

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblephalcon005

Re: hydrogen peroxide [Re: chrisscole]
    #6361111 - 12/12/06 01:36 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I have no doubt most responses will be to start over. Honestly, if you have the means to do so that is what I would do.

Dumping 6% H2O2 onto the plate I am confident will never fix the problem. The bacterial colonies are a little biofilm and will probably survive every time and come back to haunt you. You can play with trying to isolate from a contaminated plate if you can isolate a clean area of mycelium, transfer to a clean plate, and do that again soon to try to get away from the contamination. If this is done in a still air glove box you might get it isolated. In reality though every time you open that contaminated plate you're probably spreading bacteria all around your work space, and the slightest bit that transfers will simply cause you problems later when it blooms and you've wasted all of your time.

Contaminants blow. That is why it is so valuable to try to start off on a clean slate to begin with.

OfflineFreeSporePrints
Only Mycelium!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Rome, Italy
Re: hydrogen peroxide [Re: phalcon005]
    #6364658 - 12/13/06 03:05 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

hello chrisscole,
unlucky the peroxide kill EVERY organism (included the mycelium), and in little quantities can't kill the mold or bacteria. In toher word the peroxide works if you add it to the sterilized media, but not to a contaminated media!And it slow the growth of mycelium.

You need gentamicin sulphate(that's antibacterical!)

Read completly this thread, see the tips by RogerRabbit and Hotnuts.

Keep us updated and post pics!

Fabio :smile:

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Amazon Agar

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms