Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]
Graphics card problemo.
    #15703540 -

I have PCI Express and just picked up a Galaxy 8400 GS graphics card.  When i hooked it up and powered up the fan on the card started running but i get nothing but black screen.

Ideas on the problem will help.  Appreciate it.


--------------------
"...Terrific, im glad we've had this time to discuss..im outro, call me if you wanna blaze one up.."


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Graphics card problemo. [Re: cApTaInCrAp]
    #15703585 -

Have you tried reseating the card in the slot?
Do you have on-board graphics on your motherboard? If you do you might have to go into the BIOS and select something different.

That's all I got.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Graphics card problemo. [Re: 4runner]
    #15703634 -

I tried pushing it into the slot alittle harder but never took it out and put it back in. (no sexual reference here..) . 

On board graphics on the motherboard? I'm guessing that means internal graphics that came with the comp.?  If so, yes i do belive thats what i have cause there was nothing in that slot.

I have no idea what the BIOS is/where or what to do to it.

Appreciate your questions tho.


--------------------
"...Terrific, im glad we've had this time to discuss..im outro, call me if you wanna blaze one up.."


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Graphics card problemo. [Re: cApTaInCrAp]
    #15703692 -

I put in a graphics card a while back and had the same problem, I just didnt have the card pushed in properly.


--------------------
[quote]sVs said:
Adorable overload is imminent.[/quote]

[quote]YSHServant  said:
You are on my turf when you are in the pub.[/quote]

[quote]ButteredToast said:
Shroomery 2012- Thread goes from discussing a possibly deceased member to posting nudes of her.[/quote]

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Graphics card problemo. [Re: cApTaInCrAp]
    #15703997 -

Were you running on board video before? You'll have to disable that in the BIOS. You can access your bios right after your computer posts(the beeping sound) by pressing a key. Usually it's f10 or delete.


--------------------
Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.
T. S. Eliot

Edited by love2shpongleIRL (01/22/12 08:02 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Graphics card problemo. [Re: love2shpongleIRL]
    #15704040 -

Or, you can try using the onboard video and loading up your comp to desktop. Open device manager. Then, go to display adapters and disable the onboard one. You will see your video card in device manager with an exclamation point on it. After disabling, install your drivers and you should be good to go.


--------------------
Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.
T. S. Eliot

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Graphics card problemo. [Re: love2shpongleIRL]
    #15704129 -

you installed the drivers for that card and plugged your monitor into that card right? :smirk:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Graphics card problemo. [Re: blazenn]
    #15704141 -

blazenn said:
you installed the drivers for that card and plugged your monitor into that card right? :smirk:



Shouldnt matter. Reinsert the card, either it doesnt want to work with your mobo, it's dead, or you have a ram module dead/out of place

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Graphics card problemo. [Re: blazenn]
    #15704154 -

blazenn said:
you installed the drivers for that card and plugged your monitor into that card right? :smirk:



LOL, common sense there and I hate to admit, but I made some dumbass mistakes when I first got into building my own rigs. What computertekguy? If there is no display plugged into the card it won't work.


--------------------
Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.
T. S. Eliot

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Graphics card problemo. [Re: ComputerTekGuy]
    #15704156 -

oh and play with your cable for a bit, might be fucked. That sounds sexy.

Not booting up could be your PSU also, check that. Peace!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Graphics card problemo. [Re: ComputerTekGuy]
    #15704373 -

I figured out the problem.  I'm a moron. lol

I'll admit it, i was still plugging my monitor into the old connection instead of the graphics card.  AHh lay off me, :p .  How was i supposed to know? Should have but didn't.

NEW QUESTION:  Or concern i spose, I mainly play CS 1.6 .  I used to get 60 fps, now i'm only at 70, not as big of a leap as i was hoping for.  Graphics card i purchased for $65 is a Geforce 8400 GS.

Is 70 FPS as good as this card will go?  If so I may as well reluctantly throw in an extra $40 and get a gaming card.


Thoughts? Comments? Jokes?


--------------------
"...Terrific, im glad we've had this time to discuss..im outro, call me if you wanna blaze one up.."


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Graphics card problemo. [Re: cApTaInCrAp]
    #15704464 -

Well a 8400GS is a really out dated card on the low end of the scale.

You could spend about 120 right now and do really well with those older games. Heck I spent 180 on a 260GTX 2 years ago and am able to run newer games(skyrim, Bad Company 2) pretty damn well at higher resolutions(1920x1080). Of course I do have a decent quad core processor.
Sometimes the ram or processor ends up being the bottleneck.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Graphics card problemo. [Re: cApTaInCrAp]
    #15704503 -

You really can't expect much out of that card, you could try overclocking with msi afterburner but that's about it. What else do you play? You can get some excellent next-gen hardware for a decent price right now.


--------------------
Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.
T. S. Eliot

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Graphics card problemo. [Re: 4runner]
    #15704536 -

Also, 70fps is a game is pretty damn good. There is really no reason to have anything higher unless you have a 120hz monitor and even then I am no sure(haven't paid attention to those high end monitors). Most of the time you have verticle sync on and it limits your fps to your 60hz monitor meaning you are getting a 60 FPS cap.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Graphics card problemo. [Re: 4runner]
    #15704566 -

70fps in css isn't very good tho :lol:


--------------------
We were sent to hell for eternity :hellfire: Ø:omgawesome:h®
We play on earth to pass the time :foreheadslap:

Over-population the root of all Evil-brings the Elites Closer to the gates.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Graphics card problemo. [Re: cApTaInCrAp]
    #15704590 -

An extra $40 will get you a radeon that will run any game out right now.
That is if your cpu/ram are up to par.


--------------------
It's just like the story of the grasshopper and the octopus.
All year long, the grasshopper kept burying acorns for winter, while the
octopus mooched off his girlfriend and watched TV.
But then the winter came, and the grasshopper died, and the octopus ate all his acorns.
Also he got a race car.
Is any of this getting through to you?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Graphics card problemo. [Re: makaveli8x8]
    #15704594 -

makaveli8x8 said:
70fps in css isn't very good tho :lol:



Well that is subjective, 70 FPS is STALKER Call of Pripyat is kick ass.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Graphics card problemo. [Re: 4runner]
    #15704629 -

anunnakian said:
makaveli8x8 said:
70fps in css isn't very good tho :lol:



Well that is subjective, 70 FPS is STALKER Call of Pripyat is kick ass.



Have you checked out the "complete" mod? It is a major graphical overhaul with some game mechanic tweaks. Fucking awesome mod.


--------------------
Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.
T. S. Eliot

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Graphics card problemo. [Re: love2shpongleIRL]
    #15704669 -

No, I have to give it another chance.
I played that game for about 30 minutes and couldn't get in to it(which isn't uncommon for me with a lot of games). My friend says I must stick with it and after learning a few key things it will become much more enjoyable. I trust his view on the game and will some day actually play it again. Right now I am limping along on some old small hard drive after a crash. Waiting for the prices to drop again than I will give it a go.
My computer though... not sure what it can handle with that game. I know it will play it decently but... if I add more beautify to it, that could be cause for concern.
I'll for sure check it in any case.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Graphics card problem. [Re: 4runner]
    #15704689 -

I recommend playing the first one over call of pripyat. Despite having a shitty ending it still looks great, is fun and should run fine on your system.  Beforwarned about the "complete mod", it is a resource hog. I would not recommend it unless you have beefy hardware.


--------------------
Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.
T. S. Eliot

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* graphics card help LloydChristmas 726 4 11/17/06 12:40 AM
by Toddo
* GFX card
( 1 2 all )
BUDDHA_702 2,095 22 01/25/08 06:31 PM
by D4NK
* Environmental Sounds on my Sound Card Worldbridger 515 2 05/24/05 11:34 AM
by Worldbridger
* installing a wireless network card, what a pain in the ass stefan 710 6 12/04/07 10:28 AM
by supra
* anthony installs windows vista
( 1 2 all )
KingOftheThing 2,578 21 02/03/07 11:54 AM
by Boom
* Holy Motherboard Failure Batman! NobodyCares 414 1 06/05/07 05:09 AM
by TurntableJunky
* Sound Cards Tao 691 13 06/16/05 10:05 AM
by Vvellum
* A contest in graphic design, winner gets their design printed
( 1 2 3 4 all )
ZippoZM 13,996 69 12/24/05 05:26 PM
by lemon_lw

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
1,831 topic views. 6 members, 8 guests and 81 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.036 seconds spending 0.011 seconds on 18 queries.