Home | Community | Message Board

Zamnesia.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Science and Technology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineRaadt
nicht

Loc: azurescending
DVD Writer/Backups?
    #1560675 - 05/19/03 06:15 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I have a very large DVD collection, and would like to buy a burner in order to back up all mine - but in the past, other people i've known have had DVD burners, and there is copy protection - is there a way around this? also, anyone who's tech saavy - could you refer me to a DVD burner that would work for what I want to do (using the correct software of course - a friend said you need 3 programs, 1 to rip to HD, one to encode, and one to burn) -- maybe something on www.pricewatch.com that's around 150-200$

thanks in advance for the help,

--------------------
Raadt

-- The information I provide is only information from readings, growing of gourmet mushrooms, and second hand stories--

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineHidingInPlainSight
Male User Gallery
Loc: Portland, OR
Re: DVD Writer/Backups? [Re: Raadt]
    #1560728 - 05/19/03 06:35 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

THE best program for making a 1:1 copy of CD's/DVD's is CloneCD...

http://www.elby.ch/en/products/clone_cd/index.html

OfflineRaadt
nicht

Re: DVD Writer/Backups? [Re: HidingInPlainSight]
    #1560834 - 05/19/03 07:11 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

and this will work perfectly for copying DVD's and I can watch the backups in my DVD player? I've had country code problems and such before. If it's a 1 shot deal, i'll definantly buy a writer, and that program - but I'll be really sad if i spend a bunch and end up with nothing to show. I just broke 2 dvd's this weekend (showgirls and austin powers goldmember) and realized it's stupid to have 300 dvd's and no backups. Tapes are much more hearty.

--------------------
Raadt

-- The information I provide is only information from readings, growing of gourmet mushrooms, and second hand stories--

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: DVD Writer/Backups? [Re: Raadt]
    #1560937 - 05/19/03 07:47 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Be sure to check your manual to see if the DVD player will play back recorded discs. The one in my computer will play them back fine, but the one hooked into my TV wont. It is one of the first DVD players made back in late '98 early '99, so things may have changed. It wont play back burned CDROMs either.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineRaadt
nicht

Re: DVD Writer/Backups? [Re: Seuss]
    #1560982 - 05/19/03 08:01 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

mine is rather new, but i'll have to go digging for manuals. It's a govideo dvd/vhs player. it also even plays mp3's.. i think it should.

--------------------
Raadt

Offlinespleen
DisgruntledEmployee

Loc: Southern England
Re: DVD Writer/Backups? [Re: Seuss]
    #1562859 - 05/20/03 02:22 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Be sure to check your manual to see if the DVD player will play back recorded discs.

Make sure your standalone DVD player can support the format your DVD Writer burns in - DVD+R, DVD-R, some drives are multistandard (+R/-R), but are more expensive.
Have a look at DVDR Help for a better explaination and reviews of standalone players to which models support which format.

--------------------
-->
You don't succeed because you hesitate, you think we're flying but we levitate...

OfflineScumBagMaximum
Recovering CPAddict

Loc: california
Re: DVD Writer/Backups? [Re: spleen]
    #1562981 - 05/20/03 03:07 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I use a program called dvd decrypter to rip it, then I use dvd2one to re-encode then I just use nero to burn it

--------------------
~~SBM~~

OfflineSquid
withdrawn fromthe everdayworld

Re: DVD Writer/Backups? [Re: ScumBagMaximum]
    #1610857 - 06/05/03 10:38 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Do your homework before you go out and spend a ton of money on a dvd writer. You will learn that dvd-r's are only 4.7 gigs. Most movies these days are put on dual layer disc's which hold 9 gigs. These disks are a pain in the ass to copy. as you will need 2 dvd-r's. With the cost of 2 blank discs and work you have to do to copy, it's not worth the trouble. However many of the older movies which don't have digital sound and are under 2 hours long can be copied very easily. here is a good site to check out to see which movies are single (dvd5) or duel (dvd9)
dvd info

--------------------
A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move towards higher levels. -A. Einstein

OfflineGreyGoose25
La Fuerza DelDios
Loc: Ft. Fun, Colorado
Re: DVD Writer/Backups? [Re: Squid]
    #1615310 - 06/06/03 07:29 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I have been copying movies for a while first off the DVD onto the hard drive and into DIVX, now since i got a DVD+RW I have made backups of many of my DVD's. After doing tons of research and trying different programs i've found that DVD X copy is the best and easiest for making 1:1 backup copies. The reason i chose X Copy was that it copied the DVD's so well it's the first program that the movie companies (MPAA) are trying to sue so i figure it had to be one of the better ones.

--------------------
Why is it that when the batteries are almost out on your remote, you think pressing the buttons harder will make it work?

OfflineRaadt
nicht

Re: DVD Writer/Backups? [Re: GreyGoose25]
    #1615359 - 06/06/03 07:55 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

thank you for the advice everyone!

I'll just get the drive, i'm sure i'll eventually figure out how to get stuff backed up, and i'm sure there will be dvd9 recorders EVENTUALLY, which i can get. But in the meanwhile, I just want to backup my dvd collection. I broke fucking 4 dvd's in the last month (so careless, lol). Steve-O video, showgirls, donnie darko, and 12 monkies. That just sucks!

oh well, thanks again everyone =)

--------------------
Raadt

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Science and Technology