Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineSafeHaven

Attempting Antibacterial solution on Wet Contam.
    #1483059 - 04/22/03 03:55 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

My Pet Rocks friend , had some bacterial contamination on some jars and is attempting the bleach tek along with the addition of some anti bacterial soap that contains Triclosan. 

Doing some minor research into Triclosan for my pet rocks friend, I had found that it kills many types of bacteria, including several types of bacillus bacteria.  In many articles I have read it talks of its strong ability to kill many wide ranging types of bacteria.

In doing this I will hope to take a mildly contaminated jar and taking small chunks out of the jar and using the tek.  Hopefully I can reach 100% visual identification of NO contams using this procedure. Of course I couldn't be 100% certain unless I had a microscope and knew what I was looking at. 

I will post results to this, positive or negative, as they come along.
Though I have many jars that were contaminated, I am only using one and the rest are getting the Outdoor tek.. :smile:

"IF ASKED IF THE GLASS IS HALF FULL OR HALF EMPTY , REPLY IT NEEDS REFILLED"

--------------------
As I sit here I ponder greater things.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
Re: Attempting Antibacterial solution on Wet Contam. [Re: SafeHaven]
    #1485265 - 04/23/03 04:12 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Good, go for it. I also have some anti bacterial soap i never tried.
I'll be glad to ear about your results !

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #1485316 - 04/23/03 05:44 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Almost all antibacterial soaps use Triclosan to which most bacteria have become resistant.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineSafeHaven

Re: Attempting Antibacterial solution on Wet Contam. [Re: Seuss]
    #1485971 - 04/23/03 12:09 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Though alot of us have heard of the antibacterial agents that are used in soap and what not. I am little puzzled on comments like Suess made on how most bacteria has become resistant.

If the bacteria that was in my Pet Rocks friend jars was of the Bacillus family of Bacteria. How often would that type of bacteria be subjected to antibacterial agents like Triclosan? I would think very rarely, as that bacteria is only formed in very moist conditions with ample food supply.

I am only guesstimating as I have no factual evidence to support my claim only, my limited knowledge and observation.

Guess time will tell, though am looking to get a decent microscope so I may be able to do my own studies with Triclosan and other antibacterial agents.

"IF ASKED IF THE GLASS IS HALF FULL OR HALF EMPTY , REPLY IT NEEDS REFILLED"

--------------------
As I sit here I ponder greater things.

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #1486457 - 04/23/03 02:24 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

You do bring up a good point... my comments are directed towards 'common household bacteria'.  However, if you are growing in your house and you get a bacterial contamination... the chances are pretty good that it is a common household bacteria.

You also want to be careful that the antibiotic that you are using is safe for human consumption.  Just because it is in soap doesn't mean that it is safe to eat... of course it also doesn't mean that it isn't safe to eat.  :smile:

I live by the hard and fast rule 'toss it at the first sign of contamination'.  Rather than prepare and innoculate 24 jars at once, spread it out and innoculate 6 jars every week.  If you loose a set of jars or a casing to contamination, you only loose one weeks worth of work, not a month or more.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag