Home | Community | Message Board

Shroom Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, HEPA Filter, Laminar Flow Hood, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblestarseed
professional lurker

possible contam, please advise <pix>
    #1929218 - 09/18/03 03:52 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

greetings
the pictures below document the oddest contamination ive run across in my mycological experience.. based on the color, i would guess cinn. contam, but i dont know for sure.. anyway ill give a rundown of the conditions this jar was subject to so that the truth may come forward..
this was one of the first batches that ive done in a couple of years.. i used pint cakes and ryche's alien substrate formula.. this cake has a vermiculite topping, and for those who are not aware, the alien substrate is a mix of quinoa, flax seed, finch seed, brown rice, and vermiculite..
anyway before innoculation the jars were pc'd at 15psi for 30 minutes. i didnt have any syringes, so i just scraped the spores over the top of the cakes and added some sterilized vermiculite that i had also pc'd over the top. i know this is not the traditional way, but i had to make due for the first batch..
anyway as a test i started all of the jars here.. it's a little colder then the atmospheres i usually grow in, and after a few days of nothing i moved half of the jars to a warmer location.. the one pictured is one of the ones that remained here on top of the ol water heater..
anyway, the ones in the other location all have fat growth, ive lost 2 cakes to the wet contam, both of these however were lacking the vermiculite topping, so that's no mystery..
this one and its associates all started fine, and then a couple of weeks later, it seemed like half of the mycelium died in all the cakes.. i have never seen this before... so the ones here all grew down one side of the cake and were attempting a wrap around..
anyway after awhile i noticed this rust colored spot on the cake.. the spot has been there for a good 2.5 weeks now with no signs of spreading or foul odors.. what is the general consensus out there in the shroomery land?

this is the back of 2 jars that had the half-death

this is the back of one and the front of the other

please advise??

--------------------
:poison::poison:                                  :poison::poison::poison:                                  :poison::poison:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleHanky
wiffle bat.
Male User Gallery
Loc: Great Southern Land.
Re: possible contam, please advise <pix> [Re: starseed]
    #1931122 - 09/19/03 01:53 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

one suggestion would be to use much finer verm in your dry layer....that stuff you have there is much to corse.

--------------------
Coaster is an idiot...
[quote]Coaster said:
but i thnk everything thats pure is white?
[/quote]

OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
    #1933111 - 09/19/03 06:28 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I think you have some flaws in your process.

anyway before innoculation the jars were pc'd at 15psi for 30 minutes. i didnt have any syringes, so i just scraped the spores over the top of the cakes and added some sterilized vermiculite that i had also pc'd over the top. i know this is not the traditional way, but i had to make due for the first batch..

PC for 60 minutes. If you want to scrape the spores, you have to do it in a clean spot, means, flow hood, glove box or hepa equipped room. You should also sterilize all the material used in the process. Putting vermiculite the way you did is just wrong. It's not a question about being traditional or not, try a straight and regular PF Tek be as clean as clean as you can, or else it is a question of luck.

anyway, the ones in the other location all have fat growth, ive lost 2 cakes to the wet contam, both of these however were lacking the vermiculite topping, so that's no mystery..

Don't make an association with just the verm, improve the sterilization and inoculation procedures.

this one and its associates all started fine, and then a couple of weeks later, it seemed like half of the mycelium died in all the cakes.. i have never seen this before... so the ones here all grew down one side of the cake and were attempting a wrap around..

You probably have some contamination but it can't be been. Stalled growth at that stage mostly indicates bacterial or yeast contamination.
That rust colored spot on the cake could indicate some aging on the mycelium, it's hard to tell, but you should take a good look at the cake after with birth it. Make sure you break it so see if there's something on the inside.

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

Invisiblestarseed
professional lurker

Re: possible contam, please advise <pix> [Re: MAIA]
    #1933174 - 09/19/03 06:42 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

since that batch, i have gone the way of the pftek with syringes and the like.. everything is sterilized that i use with lysol.. i wear gloves and a mask when i innoculate, using the oven door method.. ever since that first batch all of my cakes are doing excellent... if i run into any more contams i will pc for 60 minutes... as the newer batches look though, this shan't be necessary..
the one with the rust colored spot will definately be broken up for examination, as i was planning on casing anyway..

this is one of the newer batches, eight days after innoculation

as opposed to the ones pictured above, who are going on a month now..
anyway, if further insistance is given here that i utilize a 60 minute pc time then i shall alter my methods as such..
thanks for the prompt feedback maia

--------------------
:poison::poison:                                  :poison::poison::poison:                                  :poison::poison:

InvisibleHanky
wiffle bat.
Male User Gallery
Loc: Great Southern Land.
    #1933679 - 09/19/03 10:35 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

file those contam jars in the trash.

--------------------
Coaster is an idiot...
[quote]Coaster said:
but i thnk everything thats pure is white?
[/quote]

OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
Re: possible contam, please advise <pix> [Re: Hanky]
    #1935240 - 09/20/03 12:56 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

That jar is looking good. Good luck !

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, HEPA Filter, Laminar Flow Hood, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum