Home | Community | Message Board

Marijuana Demystified
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineLostChord
Stranger
Is this a wet spot mold?
    #3152261 - 09/18/04 11:06 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

This is the first time so I apologize if this is a doomed attempt and I'm just wasting your time.

The mixture was not "soupy," but did have the littlest bit of excess water when the substrate (PF: ~40mL organic BRF, ~140mL vermiculite, bottled water) was mixed together in a large bowl. The 8 gallon bin I'm using was outfitted with 3/8" vinyl weatherstripping and was scrubbed well with isopropynol alcohol, and later, water/bleach mixture. I'll be sure to fan frequently when it hopefully gets fruiting, as zero air exchange is not cool and the weatherstripping doesn't help. Hands, arms, and face were well cleaned with antibacterial soap. Powderless latex gloves and a painter's mask were worn at all times throughout the process, as well as liberal misting of a water/bleach mixture. Unfortunately, I did not have access to a pressure cooker (I know... I know...) and I'm kinda really strapped for cash at the moment, so they were put on the stove for an hour, but only boiled for approximately 35-40 minutes. This may have been a problem. The jars are 1 cup Pyrex plastic pop-top sealable "jars" and were cleaned thoroughly with isopropynol alcohol. T'm using breathable medical tape to cover the 4 drilled-out holes. I nocc'd them up this morning, B+, and used a syringe (1 day of the substrate sitting in their jars in a dark closet). I used about 1mL per jar per the tek. Does this look like wetspot mold or is does it look a little wet? RH is 55%, temperature is 76F.

Edited by LostChord (09/19/04 12:55 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

Re: Is this a wet spot mold? [Re: LostChord]
    #3152312 - 09/18/04 11:24 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

It's tough to tell from the pics, but wet spot sounds possible. Wet spot usually comes from Bacillus endospores which are probably the toughest things to sterilize. Mold spores are much easier to kill.
If it is Bacillus/wet spot, you'll definitely know in the coming days, as it should get bigger and greasier-looking. At some point it will start to stink.
I'd continue to watch it, and hope that it is just a little extra moisture.

OfflineLostChord
Stranger
Re: Is this a wet spot mold? [Re: Suntzu]
    #3152341 - 09/18/04 11:34 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Question, is there a comparable substitute for BRF that is not susceptable to Bacillus? Should I try next time soaking the grain and also getting a pressure cooker?

Ewww...

Edited by LostChord (09/19/04 12:53 AM)

Offlinehaz
mycofunkatologist
Male

Loc: Washington
    #3153646 - 09/19/04 09:38 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

that looks yucky

OfflineKaptKid
Spaced Pirate
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bright Side of the Sun
    #3154378 - 09/20/04 12:18 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Man,Ive never had much luck with BRF but you can make flower out of
millit or wbs and rye grass seed.I've done with both.

Good Luck

:captain:

--------------------
Child of the 60's, Tripping ever since.

:sun:

OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

#3155156 - 09/20/04 12:03 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Grain that has been turned into flour and mixed with vermiculite [PF style] is easier to sterilize than a whole grain. Regardless, all grains have Bacillus endospores, and using a pressure cooker should be the first step toward making things better.

OfflineLostChord
Stranger
    #3158493 - 09/21/04 01:28 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Today I purchased the wonderful Walmart Mirro 10 psi maximum PC, as well as a dozen 1/2 pint Ball brand jars. I did not steam clean the four jars I used, but had cleaned them thoroughly with antibacterial soap and warm water before using. Is this a foreseeable problem? There was also no excess water in the jars this time from the substrate. Two jars at a time, they were cooked for 50 minutes from when the steam release pin started jiggling on top, per the PC instructions. I put roughly an inch, possibly an inch and a half, of tap water in it as well. For innoculation I taped a foil "gaurd" around the syringe because I didn't want to use tape over the holes. I also rotated the jar while holding its foil cover to expose one hole at a time. The bin was cleaned with bleach and rubbing alcohol and the jars are now incubating with the original foils still loosely covering them (definately allowing air exchange around the bottom). Should I have replaced the aluminum foil covers for incubation?

OfflineZeroArmy27
I didn't go to work for a month.
 Arcade Champion: Asteroids 2000

Loc: Middle of nowhere
    #3158672 - 09/21/04 02:03 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

The above pictures just look like too much water was in the mix when you mixed it up. I would still say you're screwed because the myc. won't want to colonize that goopy, nasty rice.

Have you shot your jars up already? I usually take the tape off, shoot them up with spores, and replace the foil (same foil). I check in 3-4 days and if there's growth, I take the foil off and let them grow. I also use Tyvek on top of my metal jar lid. It's waterproof, so you shouldn't have to worry about water dripping in on it with the foil and tyvek...

Oh, and if you cleaned them out nicely, I don't see a large chance of contams... but I personally soak mine in bleachy water for 24 hours, just in case. Can't be too careful!

--------------------
"a monkey would fuck you up if you tried to put it in a autoclave" - Psychoslut

"it's not like the admins and mods are a tight-knit group of hippies that spend their life together in a log cabin tie-dying shirts and stringing beads inbetween bonghits." - Wiccan_Seeker

OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

#3159434 - 09/21/04 01:06 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

It's probably OK, as long as the holes are covered with something during incubation.
As said above, too much moisture can be a deal-breaker.  I hope that the pics above look that way because the contamination made things look wetter.
Good job on getting the PC;  10 PSI should work just fine for grain flour, though you may still find the occasional contam.  I'm not sure if it would be sufficient for whole grains.
One thing to keep in mind, it's good to make your jars nice and spanky clean before loading the substrate. . .but remember that the moist BRF you add to the jars is loaded with bacteria.  The real 'cleaning' occurs at 10/15 PSI :wink:
On the other hand, after a jar has been used, you will want to scrub it fairly well.  Any sort of 'nutrient film' that connects the inside of the jar to the outside can mean trouble, even if it's 'sterilized'.

OfflineLostChord
Stranger
    #3159524 - 09/21/04 01:49 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Yeah the Bacillus did make the substrate look much wetter. Both times I added the vermiculite, then the water, then the flour. I'm glad I went with the new jars instead of reusing the failed ones. They're sitting in a bath of bleach at the moment and will be scrubbed back down to sand soon. Temps are between 78-80F and no light is entering the box. I'm REALLY excited and hope these go well--I have a good feeling *crosses fingers*.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum