Home | Community | Message Board


Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Registered: 06/06/03
Posts: 23,364
Loc: In the jungle
What causes the contam Bacillus besides endospores?
    #2680726 - 05/15/04 02:05 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Is it only endospores on the substrate that survives sterilization that causes Bacillus (wet spot), or could there be another cause? (too much water in substate, bad syringe, etc.)


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblepsyphon
mneumatic device

Folding@home Statistics
Registered: 11/27/01
Posts: 565
Re: What causes the contam Bacillus besides endospores? [Re: MOTH]
    #2681047 - 05/15/04 03:39 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Too much water can definitely be a contributing factor. Also the endospores are very small so they can get through most filters. I think it can be better to favor slightly too dry rather than too wet.


--------------------
"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes."
- Marcel Proust

I wish you all ceaselessly flowing moments of happiness.


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleATWAR
Connoisseur

Registered: 01/26/03
Posts: 1,640
Loc: #108768 in line...
Re: What causes the contam Bacillus besides endospores? [Re: psyphon]
    #2681299 - 05/15/04 05:47 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

psyphon said:
Too much water can definitely be a contributing factor. Also the endospores are very small so they can get through most filters. I think it can be better to favor slightly too dry rather than too wet.




Most definetly it is better to be a bit on the dry side than too wet. Standing pools of water (or droplets) are prime breeding grounds for bacteria. They thrive in the enclosed environment of a jar, extra water compounds the problem and makes the habitat even more suitable.

When a jar is properly sterilized, 99.9% of all contamination is introduced by the cultivator (the other 0.1% perhaps sneaks by the filter). Bacteria can also "ride the spores" right into your jar. Not only can they be introduced from contaminated spores, but the longer you wait to use that syringe, the more time they have to multiply in the solution...


--------------------
To give is to live...



Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum

Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* WBS endospores Gumby79 1,681 7 03/01/04 11:36 PM
by Gumby79
* A word about Contams
( 1 2 3 4 all )
WildCardsRevenge 83,450 75 11/04/14 06:06 PM
by TeeRoy87
* I Spy: Contams SerratedFrond 1,555 12 10/25/06 02:50 AM
by SerratedFrond
* contam problems Yossarian22 1,018 7 02/01/08 03:01 PM
by Yossarian22
* Rusty colored liquidy goo = contam? *PICS ADDED* merlink 1,903 8 08/05/03 10:02 AM
by Seuss
* Contam on WBS ( pics ) ragadinks 1,482 12 02/21/04 03:15 PM
by Suntzu
* Bacterial contam, or just a bit over hydrated?(rye) Primate 2,443 4 07/04/07 09:58 AM
by Primate
* Possible contam on WBS? tekramrepus 671 2 07/07/03 01:41 PM
by MAIA

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: RogerRabbit, cronicr, Tmethyl, Pastywhyte
1,309 topic views. 0 members, 3 guests and 0 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Toggle Favorite | Print Topic | Stats ]
Search this thread:
Original Seeds Store - Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Copyright 1997-2017 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.021 seconds spending 0.002 seconds on 14 queries.