Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Meditation - Heavy Body Load
    #14688321 -

I'm starting to practice meditation, only done it a handful of times.  Anyway, I was about 10 minutes in earlier when I started to get a VERY heavy body load.  It was a familiar feeling, though; I distinctly remember having the exact same feeling when I had a really high fever when I was younger.  It starts in my fingers and moves to my hands.  They felt incredibly large more so than heavy, until it moved up to my shoulders, neck, and eventually my face.  At that point it felt like I was under extreme G loading, like everything was being pulled back/down.  Anyone else ever experience this?


--------------------
Did he dream about dragons? Did he dream about deer? Did he whisper  he names of friends who were near?
What songs did they play, and how far away? Why did he whisper, why did she scream?
What does the sound of a screen door mean?
Who talks on the hill? Who goes to the cellar, can you feel the chill? Where does the river, when will the wind?
How far are the mountains? Where do they end? Why would the church?
Did the service begin? Tell me who died, and tell me who cried.
Help me hide in the skin of a deer, my zippered-up bag in the mouth of a stag so swiftly I go through rows of does,
it flows, it flows, it flows, it flows all over the hill where the green grass grows.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Meditation - Heavy Body Load [Re: SS32]
    #14688386 -

was there tingling or vibrations? or just the heaviness?


--------------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.”- Dr. Seuss

"Too much of a good thing, can be wonderful!" - Mae West

"If you have nothing nice to say about anyone, come sit next to me."
- Alice Roosevelt Longworth




Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Meditation - Heavy Body Load [Re: Rewindicus]
    #14688425 -

Just the heavieness


--------------------
Did he dream about dragons? Did he dream about deer? Did he whisper  he names of friends who were near?
What songs did they play, and how far away? Why did he whisper, why did she scream?
What does the sound of a screen door mean?
Who talks on the hill? Who goes to the cellar, can you feel the chill? Where does the river, when will the wind?
How far are the mountains? Where do they end? Why would the church?
Did the service begin? Tell me who died, and tell me who cried.
Help me hide in the skin of a deer, my zippered-up bag in the mouth of a stag so swiftly I go through rows of does,
it flows, it flows, it flows, it flows all over the hill where the green grass grows.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Meditation - Heavy Body Load [Re: SS32]
    #14688451 -

yah thats totally normal for me. If there was vibrations i would point you in the OBE direction but the heaviness is really common for me once i get into a deep mindset.


--------------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.”- Dr. Seuss

"Too much of a good thing, can be wonderful!" - Mae West

"If you have nothing nice to say about anyone, come sit next to me."
- Alice Roosevelt Longworth




Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Meditation - Heavy Body Load [Re: Rewindicus]
    #14688463 -

:owl:

Right on, check out what I posted in this forum 5 years, 2 months ago:

WScott said:
I've recently started to practice meditation and already I am feeling better (nothing major thus far, but noticeable). My question isn't so much to do with the way it is done, but what I feel when I am involved. I would say about 10 minutes in my hands (which are clasped in my lap) begin to feel heavy, and slowly the feeling of this weight starts to travel up my arms. It has thus far traveled up to almost my elbows before I lose concentration and get out.

It might also be useful to note that I have felt this weighted feeling during dreams I used to have periodically several years ago.

I'm not sure what my question is.. but does anyone have any comments on this? Thanks. :laugh:



original thread

It did not receive many responses but there are a few that you may find relevant. Thanks for bringing it up again. :sherlock:


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Meditation - Heavy Body Load [Re: WScott]
    #14688510 -

oh sure ive been meditating since i was 15! OBE's lucid dreaming all that stuff. I dont really do the OBE/Lucid dreaming much nowadays but i still meditate alot its kind of an always in my back pocket thing if i need to calm all the background chatter in my mind and FOCUS.
Its a very good skill to have.

If you ARE interested in OBE/Lucid dreaming and integrating meditation with the astral stuff check out Astral Dynamics its the best book i read. Its a big book on amazon for like 15$ but really has some great exercises and stuff to try out. All of this shit - Drugs/OBE's/PseudoScience are all really things well never FULLY understand but I say if you can take something positive and constructive who gives a fuck all roads lead to the same destination.


--------------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.”- Dr. Seuss

"Too much of a good thing, can be wonderful!" - Mae West

"If you have nothing nice to say about anyone, come sit next to me."
- Alice Roosevelt Longworth




Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Meditation - Heavy Body Load [Re: SS32]
    #14690516 -

yeah, i think of that as just energy circulating in the body.  If you remain still and chill it'll bring you into a trance state.  Personally I like to be physically comfortable while i meditate (although that's not always possible and certainly not the point imo).  But if you did some yoga, stretches, deep breathing before even sitting down to meditate it would probably reduce that feeling some.  Meditation is like anything else, you gain a tolerance to its effects in a sense, after time your body will be used to sitting motionless and that heaviness probably won't seem quite so heavy.


--------------------
check out my music!
drowse in prison and your waking will be but loss

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Meditation - Heavy Body Load [Re: SS32]
    #14691039 -

yes
this is jhana
absorption

the sense of weight is natural from persisting sensations of body contact with clothing, the floor/mat, and itself (digestion).
impressions will layer on top of themselves thickening your experience.
impressions linger - suspended in the fluidity of consciousness.
that is jhana...

many of the directions for meditation deal with setting up the body so that when jhana sets in it is productive rather than counter productive.

these include relaxed good posture, loose clothing, waiting 3 hours after eating, etc. not all that strict, but all conducive to less uncomfortable 'feedback' when jhana begins.

being productive means that you can continue concentrating with less effort at re-starting the process, being productive you can return to the original point of concentration with less care about the secondary effects (sensations) you treat them as distractions and resume the core meditation.

the heaviness will pass if you pay attention to it (transforming into something else more relaxed and refined) or if you try to latch onto it (which will actually interfere with jhana) it also will go away, even if you spend time thinking, "oh I am really doing it" it will be dirupted and will go away.

I think you want to go through it or let it go through you, keep letting go and breathing easy.

many people meditate for years without adequate concentration to get this degree of absorption.


--------------------
:brainfart: _ :finger:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Meditation - Heavy Body Load [Re: redgreenvines]
    #14693218 -

redgreenvines said:
many people meditate for years without adequate concentration to get this degree of absorption.



Last night was only the 3rd time I actually tried


--------------------
Did he dream about dragons? Did he dream about deer? Did he whisper  he names of friends who were near?
What songs did they play, and how far away? Why did he whisper, why did she scream?
What does the sound of a screen door mean?
Who talks on the hill? Who goes to the cellar, can you feel the chill? Where does the river, when will the wind?
How far are the mountains? Where do they end? Why would the church?
Did the service begin? Tell me who died, and tell me who cried.
Help me hide in the skin of a deer, my zippered-up bag in the mouth of a stag so swiftly I go through rows of does,
it flows, it flows, it flows, it flows all over the hill where the green grass grows.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Meditation - Heavy Body Load [Re: SS32]
    #14693660 -

It was a familiar feeling, though; I distinctly remember having the exact same feeling when I had a really high fever when I was younger.  It starts in my fingers and moves to my hands.  They felt incredibly large more so than heavy,

This is common in childhood. Especially in stressful households and Carl Jung called them anxiety dreams and feelings.  I used to get it.  My thumbs would feel like they were as big as a house.  In one of Pink Floyds songs they talk about this if you remember.


--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Meditation - Heavy Body Load [Re: Icelander]
    #14693875 -

i feel that pretty frequently actually...sometimes the whole perspective of it all seems to come crashing down, it gets loud and huge...


--------------------
check out my music!
drowse in prison and your waking will be but loss

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Meditation - Heavy Body Load [Re: redgreenvines]
    #14693964 -

from the first jhana onwards there's bliss, no? if there's just heaviness this might be a symptom of concentration (and relaxation) but it doesn't sound like a jhana to me?


--------------------


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Meditation - Heavy Body Load [Re: Icelander]
    #14694012 -

Quote:
Icelander said:
In one of Pink Floyds songs they talk about this if you remember.



Holy shit, I never made that connection.


--------------------
Did he dream about dragons? Did he dream about deer? Did he whisper  he names of friends who were near?
What songs did they play, and how far away? Why did he whisper, why did she scream?
What does the sound of a screen door mean?
Who talks on the hill? Who goes to the cellar, can you feel the chill? Where does the river, when will the wind?
How far are the mountains? Where do they end? Why would the church?
Did the service begin? Tell me who died, and tell me who cried.
Help me hide in the skin of a deer, my zippered-up bag in the mouth of a stag so swiftly I go through rows of does,
it flows, it flows, it flows, it flows all over the hill where the green grass grows.

Edited by SS32 (06/29/11 08:48 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Meditation - Heavy Body Load [Re: SS32]
    #14694038 -

When I was a child I had a fever.
My hands felt just like two balloons.
Now I got that feeling once again.
I can’t explain, you would not understand.
This is not how I am.
I have become comfortably numb.


--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Meditation - Heavy Body Load [Re: Icelander]
    #14694067 -

:lol: sounds like it's describing his problem to a tee


--------------------


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Meditation - Heavy Body Load [Re: Icelander]
    #14694417 -

Icelander said:
When I was a child I had a fever.
My hands felt just like two balloons.
Now I got that feeling once again.
I can’t explain, you would not understand.
This is not how I am.
I have become comfortably numb.



Gilmour has some deep thoughts. :thumbup:

But at the Roger Waters concert I went to it was his song- The Trial that really stuck out.

Quote:
Since, my friend, you have revealed your deepest fear,
I sentence you to be exposed before
Your peers.
Tear down the wall!





--------------------
What's up everybody?!

Edited by Cups (06/29/11 10:21 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Meditation - Heavy Body Load [Re: SS32]
    #14694464 -

SS32 said:
Last night was only the 3rd time I actually tried.




Some things you might not actually want to be good at.  When things come too easy they lead to over confidence...which can lead to quite the reality check if you are as good at this as you hope you are.


--------------------
What's up everybody?!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Meditation - Heavy Body Load [Re: Cups]
    #14694656 -

@cups....there's also a such thing as beginners luck! He's gotten an inkling of what's to come so now he's gotta put in the time to really open the doors! Or not.


--------------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.”- Dr. Seuss

"Too much of a good thing, can be wonderful!" - Mae West

"If you have nothing nice to say about anyone, come sit next to me."
- Alice Roosevelt Longworth




Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Meditation - Heavy Body Load [Re: deff]
    #14697257 -

deff said:
from the first jhana onwards there's bliss, no? if there's just heaviness this might be a symptom of concentration (and relaxation) but it doesn't sound like a jhana to me?



it definitely is jhana
bliss is the element that needs re-assignment.
joy comes into the earlier jhanas, along with the layering but if you get into the literature or have a live teacher, joy is how they summarize shaking, vibrations, and a bunch of neurological stimulations that seem to have no root cause. then as equanimity dawns with detatchment some bliss comes in with joy going away...
all of this is phenomena to be observed.


--------------------
:brainfart: _ :finger:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* *~Meditation & Mind, Body & Spirit~* SoDak_Stranger 748 4 06/30/04 03:56 AM
by redgreenvines
* meditation Damn 774 7 11/29/02 12:23 PM
by Murex
* Beginning signs of meditation progress Irradiated_Feces 1,254 7 10/16/03 09:15 AM
by Anonymous
* Meditation question
( 1 2 3 all )
superpimp 6,860 57 12/23/11 09:00 AM
by Icelander
* Santo Daime ayahuasca ritual paddo 1,250 8 08/13/02 11:28 AM
by RebelSteve33
* Meditation Techniques KeepAskingTime 2,561 13 12/23/11 08:25 AM
by redgreenvines
* Meditation? Moxemerald 592 13 09/20/04 05:02 PM
by Moxemerald
* Meditation and the "third eye" SoulSurfer 1,112 7 02/06/04 11:16 PM
by SoulSurfer

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Middleman, DividedQuantum
4,315 topic views. 0 members, 1 guests and 11 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.028 seconds spending 0.008 seconds on 16 queries.