Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineAngry Mycologist
Spontaneouslycombusting

Loc: Galapagos
Bush is a big spender....
    #1406271 - 03/24/03 03:03 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Bush expected to propose $75 billion for war, anti-terror efforts

By ALAN FRAM
The Associated Press
3/24/03 5:09 PM

WASHINGTON (AP) -- President Bush is expected to ask Congress for about $75 billion to pay for the war with Iraq, assuming the war will last about 30 days, and to strengthen counterterrorism efforts at home, lawmakers and congressional aides said Monday.

The money measure, which the president planned to describe to congressional leaders he invited to the White House, is dominated by $62.6 billion for the Department of Defense. It is based on an assumption that the U.S.-led effort to oust Iraqi President Saddam Hussein takes 30 days of combat, said aides.

The request was also expected to include up to $3 billion for domestic security, chiefly for police and other so-called first responders. And it will contain about $8 billion for aid to Israel, Afghanistan and other U.S. allies, a down payment on humanitarian aid for Iraq and for rebuilding the country, and money to increase security for American diplomats.

At Monday's meeting, Bush was expected to ask congressional leaders to send him a completed version of the bill by April 11, when lawmakers are scheduled to begin their Easter recess.

Though lawmakers are eager to demonstrate their support for U.S. troops, Democrats and many Republicans are expected to have problems with parts of the proposal.

Of the $62.6 billion for the Defense Department, the administration is proposing setting aside $59.9 billion in an emergency reserve fund that the Pentagon could largely spend at its own discretion with limited input from Congress, said Democrats who said they were familiar with a preliminary version of the proposal.

"We need to provide every single dime the troops need, but I do think we need to know where it's going and for what purpose," said Rep. David Obey of Wisconsin, top Democrat on the House Appropriations Committee.

Obey said that Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld "wasn't appointed to be the U.S. Congress with the power of the purse. .... We're supposed to know what we're doing before we open the purse strings."

Democrats were also expected to complain that Bush's request had only $500 million in humanitarian aid for Iraq and $1.7 billion to rebuild the country. Prior congressional and private estimates suggested the long-range expenses for both those efforts would be many times those amounts, though administration officials are hoping allied nations will help with the financing.

Democrats said they were also unhappy that the measure lacks additional money for other domestic programs such as tightening security at U.S. ports, borders, dams and facilities that generate radioactive materials.

Bush was preparing to send the Republican-controlled Congress his request just as lawmakers write a $2.2 trillion budget for 2004, which so far has excluded any funds for a war.

Democrats have complained repeatedly that the fiscal framework -- which controls new tax cuts proposed by Bush -- cannot be written without knowing what the war will cost. Some Democrats believe the information might undercut support for Bush's proposed tax reductions.

The administration had refused to provide its war estimate until now, arguing that there were too many uncertainties on the battlefield.

The requested defense funds will include $10.4 billion for the call-up of Reserves and National Guard troops and extra salary paid to troops in combat, said one congressional aide speaking on condition of anonymity.

Also included for the Pentagon will be $44.6 billion for operations and maintenance, and $6.5 billion for purchasing new munitions and for research and development.

Foreign aid will include $1 billion in grants plus federal backing for up to $9 billion in guaranteed loans for Israel; $1.1 billion for Jordan; less than $1 billion for Egypt and other funds for countries including Oman and Bahrain.

Afghanistan would get $400 million for humanitarian aid.

The measure might contain $1 billion for Turkey, though those funds might be omitted from a final version of the bill. That country has balked at letting the United States base troops there for an invasion of Iraq from the north, but has allowed some U.S. use of its air space.

The request will also include $500 million for the FBI, plus funds for the Coast Guard.

So far, the administration has decided to exclude aid for U.S. airlines, which have been lobbying Congress for assistance to help make up for business lost because of terrorism and the war with Iraq.

Among the chief proponents of such assistance has been House Speaker Dennis Hastert, R-Ill., whose state is home to financially troubled United Airlines.

--------------------
The proper penalty of ignorance, which is of course that those who don't know should learn from those who do... - Plato

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
Loc: ATL
Re: Bush is a big spender.... [Re: Angry Mycologist]
    #1406300 - 03/24/03 03:14 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Bush's spending is one of my biggest complaints about him.

--------------------
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

OfflineAngry Mycologist
Spontaneouslycombusting

Re: Bush is a big spender.... [Re: z@z.com]
    #1406378 - 03/24/03 03:44 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Definitely. I think this is where both the right and left side stand on common ground.

--------------------
The proper penalty of ignorance, which is of course that those who don't know should learn from those who do... - Plato

OfflineEllis Dee
Archangel
Male User Gallery Arcade Champion: Duck Hunt, Enemy Enforcer

Loc: Fire in the sky
    #1406435 - 03/24/03 04:05 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I really hate to see the FBI get any funding increase. They already have way too much money when they're busting head shops and harassing internet forums. Every one of us here could be targeted by he FBI in some way, growing drugs, unpopular political opinions, or whatever else we're in to...

--------------------
"If the foundations be destroyed, what can the righteous do."-King Solomon

And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels,

OfflineAngry Mycologist
Spontaneouslycombusting

Re: Bush is a big spender.... [Re: Ellis Dee]
    #1406463 - 03/24/03 04:15 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Let's not forget about the "TIA" or "Total Information Awareness" act. This scares me a lot more than the increased FBI budget. Bush is also putting quite a lot of money into it also....

--------------------

Offlinemntlfngrs
The Art of Casterbation
Male User Gallery

#1406474 - 03/24/03 04:18 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Every one of us here could be targeted by he FBI in some way, growing drugs, unpopular political opinions, or whatever else we're in to...

To my knowledge no one here is, has or is planning on growing any illegal drugs.

--------------------
Be all and you'll be to end all

OfflineEllis Dee
Archangel
Male User Gallery Arcade Champion: Duck Hunt, Enemy Enforcer

Loc: Fire in the sky
Re: Bush is a big spender.... [Re: mntlfngrs]
    #1406491 - 03/24/03 04:25 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Looks like you skipped the cultivation forums and went right to OTD, lol.

--------------------
"If the foundations be destroyed, what can the righteous do."-King Solomon

And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels,

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
    #1406538 - 03/24/03 04:49 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Bankrupting our country, spying on our citizens, dismantling the Constitution, overturning State's rights and imprisoning people for cultivating plants are atrocious acts of terror.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Offlinemntlfngrs
The Art of Casterbation
Male User Gallery

#1406636 - 03/24/03 05:44 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I just listen in cult. by the way, this is P.A.L.

--------------------
Be all and you'll be to end all

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion