Home | Community | Message Board

Myco Supply
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineEchoVortex
(hard) member
Saudis Offer to Buy Bush the Election
    #2577719 - 04/19/04 02:19 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

We'll be waiting a long time, though, for the photos of Bandar's dick in Bush's mouth.

Isn't it comforting to know that the leaders of the country that produced most of the 9/11 hijackers will be selecting our President for us?

WASHINGTON (AFP) - Saudi Arabia's ambassador to Washington, Prince Bandar bin Sultan, promised George W. Bush that his country would lower oil prices before the November 2 presidential election, according to the author of a new book on the war in Iraq (news - web sites).

A drop in the oil prices would strengthen the US economy ahead of the election in which Bush will face Democratic Senator John Kerry (news - web sites), journalist and author Bob Woodward told CBS television.

"Bandar wanted Bush to know that the Saudis hope to fine-tune oil prices to prime the economy in 2004. What was key, Bandar understood, were the economic conditions before a presidential election," according to an excerpt of Woodward's book "Plan of Attack" cited by CBS Sunday.

The Washington Post, where Woodward works as an assistant managing editor, began running five days of excerpts from the book Sunday.

The journalist is known for his work in the Watergate scandal that led to president Richard Nixon's resignation in 1974.

Earlier this month, after meeting with Bush, Bandar said Saudi Arabia "will not allow any shortage on the world oil market."

"Oil prices should be between 22 and 28 dollars (a barrel). My government's target is 25 dollars," he added.

A barrel currently costs about 35 dollars.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinegermin8tionn8ion
enthusiast
Re: Saudis Offer to Buy Bush the Election [Re: EchoVortex]
    #2578051 - 04/19/04 03:34 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

It should be noted that this isn't the elusive "proof" either. This is one mans personal belief of what is going to happen. We'll see. Since the gas prices are usually abit higher in the summer, they might drop back naturally.

InvisibleXochitl
synchronicitycircuit
Loc: the brainforest
    #2578109 - 04/19/04 03:49 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

...and there's more.

Quote:

Book: Saudis Informed About Iraq War Decision Before Powell
VOA News
19 Apr 2004, 16:39 UTC

A new book says Vice President Dick Cheney informed the Saudi ambassador to the United States of the president's decision to go to war in Iraq before Secretary of State Colin Powell was told of the decision.

The book, entitled Plan of Attack, was written by Washington Post assistant managing editor Bob Woodward. It says President Bush ordered military plans to be drawn up to invade Iraq just months after the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks, but the plans were kept secret, even from some of his own top cabinet members.

In an interview Sunday with CBS, Mr. Woodward laid out details of a meeting in January, 2003, when he says Mr. Bush told Mr. Powell he had decided to go to war, and Mr. Powell asked if the president understood the consequences. Mr. Woodward says the president had given Mr. Cheney and Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld permission to inform Saudi ambassador Prince Bandar bin Sultan about his decision to invade Iraq two days earlier, and that they even showed the prince a top-secret map of the war plan.

The New York Times reports today that the book, based on interviews with 75 people, including President Bush, has given a new jolt to the White House and may aggravate long-standing tensions within Mr. Bush's cabinet.

The book describes Vice President Cheney as being fixated on a war with Iraq. It says Mr. Cheney and Mr. Powell are now barely on speaking terms because Mr. Powell believes the vice president was trying to portray ambiguous information on Iraq as fact.

On Sunday, National Security Adviser Condoleezza Rice denied that Mr. Powell learned of the decision to go to war after the Saudi ambassador, saying the secretary of state was privy to all the conversations and briefings with the president. She also said that the president did not make his final decision to invade Iraq until March 2003.

The likely Democratic nominee to challenge President Bush, Senator John Kerry, has seized on the book, saying it is written by a reputable writer, and that it reveals that the president even misled members of his own administration about what he was planning to do in Iraq.

The author of the book, Bob Woodward, helped to break the Watergate scandal in the 1970s that led to the resignation of President Richard Nixon.

--------------------
As we know, there are known knowns. There are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns. That is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns, the ones we don't know we don't know.

-Donald Rumsfeld 2/2/02 Pentagon

InvisibleXochitl
synchronicitycircuit
Re: Saudis Offer to Buy Bush the Election [Re: germin8tionn8ion]
    #2578120 - 04/19/04 03:54 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

It should be noted that this isn't the elusive "proof" either. This is one mans personal belief of what is going to happen.

Actually, the book is based upon interviews with nearly 80 officials and insiders including George Bush himself. Hardly the "personal belief" of just the author-journalist.

--------------------
As we know, there are known knowns. There are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns. That is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns, the ones we don't know we don't know.

Offlinegermin8tionn8ion
enthusiast
Re: Saudis Offer to Buy Bush the Election [Re: Xochitl]
    #2578178 - 04/19/04 04:13 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

When it's a source that you want to belive, it's "insiders", when it's not, it's "dissidents".

Note, I don't mean you personally, I mean the collective "you", as "us".

InvisibleXochitl
synchronicitycircuit
    #2578230 - 04/19/04 04:29 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

If information can be confirmed, and it contains the kind of specifics that can be cross-checked, it's important, in my view, to give the public the unvarnished version of reality rather than the "spun" version that too often comes from public spokespeople. - Bob Woodward

And what if the sources and their information is cross-checked as Woodward has done throughout his career? Would not this negate mere political bias to the point of irrelevence? Also, how exactly are White House officials themselves not insiders? They are the inside and they were interviewed by Woodward.

--------------------

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
Re: Saudis Offer to Buy Bush the Election [Re: Xochitl]
    #2578549 - 04/19/04 05:47 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

funny...the first book that woodward wrote based
on the bush whitehouse was somewhat of a rave
review, was it not?

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

Offlinegermin8tionn8ion
enthusiast
    #2578726 - 04/19/04 06:27 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

So, whats the point?

If the Saudis are anti-Israel, why are they supporting a president who enjoys attacking arab nations, and supporting israel?

All of these conspiracy theories never really tie together.... The saudi's hate the US/Israel, yet they support one of the biggest supporters of Israel around, and a man who has taken down two Arab strongholds.

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
    #2578734 - 04/19/04 06:29 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

The saudi's hate the US/Israel, yet they support one of the biggest supporters of Israel around, and a man who has taken down two Arab strongholds.

The Saudi population hates the US, but the royal family has had strong ties to the US for a long time now.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Offlinegermin8tionn8ion
enthusiast
Re: Saudis Offer to Buy Bush the Election [Re: silversoul7]
    #2578742 - 04/19/04 06:31 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

So what comes first, their blind hatred of the jews that they push on the masses through the single channel they allow their people to get, or their love for the country (us) that gives them all the money?

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
    #2578760 - 04/19/04 06:34 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

They don't need push hatred of Israel on the people. The hatred is already there. They probably just portray Israel in a negative light to keep the people's support.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

InvisibleXochitl
synchronicitycircuit
    #2580015 - 04/19/04 11:18 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

So, whats the point?

If the Saudis are anti-Israel, why are they supporting a president who enjoys attacking arab nations, and supporting israel?

All of these conspiracy theories never really tie together.... The saudi's hate the US/Israel, yet they support one of the biggest supporters of Israel around, and a man who has taken down two Arab strongholds.

What does Israel have to do with the Prince Bandar bin Sultan offering to meddle with oil prices to help Bush be re-elected?

They both share three agendas: money and power and the continuace of American military might in the Middle East. The opinion of the general populace is hardly on their minds.

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?

Loc: Lost In Space
    #2583549 - 04/20/04 05:12 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Prince Bandar: Clinton Sought Secret Oil-Election Deal

Saudi ambassador to the U.S. Prince Bandar bin Sultan said Monday that ex-President Clinton sought a secret deal to keep oil prices low before the 2000 election, explaining that the request was nothing unusual.

"President Clinton asked us to keep the prices down in the year 2000," Bin Sultan told CNN's "Larry King Live," responding to a claim by Washington Post reporter Bob Woodward that the Bush administration made a similar request this year.

Bin Sultan said President Carter also made a request for lower oil prices to save his reelection bid in 1979, explaining that he did so "to avoid the [US's economic] malaise."

"We always want any president who is in office to be reelected," Bin Sultan explained, while stressing that his hope for lower oil prices was not a direct effort to influence the outcome of the U.S. election.

"This not our call. This is the American people's call," he insisted.

"We hoped that the oil prices will stay low, because that's good for America's economy, but more important, it's good for our economy and the international economy," Prince Bandar told CNN. "And this is nothing unusual."

On Monday, Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry decried Bush's "secret deal" with the Saudis for low oil prices, based on a claim in Bob Woodward's new book, "Plan of Attack."

"If, as Bob Woodward reports, it is true that gas supplies and prices in America are tied to the American election, tied to a secret White House deal, that is outrageous and unacceptable," Kerry complained in Florida.

Sen. Kerry has yet to issue a similar denunciation of the secret oil price deals sought from the Saudis by Presidents Clinton and Carter.

Huh.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

OfflineDivided_Sky
Ten ThousandThings

Loc: The Shining Void
Re: Saudis Offer to Buy Bush the Election [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #2583750 - 04/20/04 06:18 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Here is interesting analysis of the story:

David Frum's Diary

APR. 19, 2004: CONSPIRACY THEORY

After 24 hours, it?s agreed that the biggest news to emerge from Bob Woodward?s book is the allegation that the Saudis promised to manipulate the price of oil to help President Bush?s re-election. John Kerry had this to say yesterday in Florida:

?If what Bob Woodward reports is true ? that gas supplies and prices in America are tied to the American election, then tied to a secret White House deal ? that is outrageous and unacceptable.?

But is it true?

Ask yourself this: Who could have been Woodward?s source for this claim? Only one person: the canny Prince Bandar, Saudi Arabia?s ambassador to the United States and a frequent purveyor of titillating items to selected journalists.

Next question: If such a deal existed, what motive could Prince Bandar have for revealing it? The revelation could only hurt Bush, the candidate Bandar was allegedly trying to help.

Logical next thought: If, however, Bandar wanted to hurt Bush, then the revelation makes a great deal of sense.

But why would Bandar want to hurt Bush? Don?t a hundred conspiracy books tell us that the Bush family are thralls of Saudi oil money? Perhaps the Saudis don?t think so. Perhaps they see President Bush?s Middle East policy as a threat to their dominance and even survival. What could after all be a worse nightmare for Saudi Arabia than a Western-oriented, pluralistic Iraq pumping all the oil it can sell?

In other words, if what Bob Woodward reports is true, then the Saudis are meddling to defeat Bush, not elect him.

--------------------
1. "After an hour I wasn't feeling anything so I decided to take another..."
2. "We were feeling pretty good so we decided to smoke a few bowls..."
3. "I had to be real quiet because my parents were asleep upstairs..."

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion