Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblepoke smot!
floccinocci floofinator
Male

Problems with casing (first flush)
    #1364617 - 03/11/03 02:43 AM (21 years, 23 days ago)

Hello... A distant aquaintance had some casings going last week. His casings had a few abnormalities. He's looking for what to improve in order to obtain a better casing.

1) Some of the mushrooms reach full maturity while others are small. The smaller ones are not abhorts, they just pinned later I suppose. I got the impression that this is due to parts of the mycelium growing up before others.

In this picture my distantly-known-friend's PF classics grow. In the foreground, some half-grown mushrooms appear that will not reach full maturity for another day or so.

In the background, some more appear, although with these the veil has already broken. Note that those ones in the back relate to #2 in my inquiry.

Although he patches the shit during the first week or so, my theory is that when there is exposed mycelium, the small amount of light in a short period of time is enough to trigger the next stage. So patching it will just cover it up, although it will still develop into a fruitbody.

2) Around the edges. This aquaintance of mine used duct tape to line the bottom edge of the casing bin, to keep out light. While preparing the casing he quickly went over each cake, picking off anything that looked like a pin or primordia, or hyphal knots.

But still, many of the casings grow mushrooms up the sides of the casing, and these become odd-shaped and warped.

On the left, a very rewarding casing. My friend reports that the odd-shaped mushrooms were ones that grew up the sides. He also tells me that after picking all of them, he could still see many small pins and abhorts around the sides of the casing.

So how should one go about preventing the casing from fruiting up the sides? Plus, how do you clean up the casing and get rid of all the abhorts thoroughly enough to prevent contamination?

Thanks in advance. I hope that the forum search is working again soon.

Edited by poke smot! (09/07/20 01:21 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibledog
straw dog

Loc: Route 66
Re: Problems with casing (first flush) [Re: poke smot!]
    #1364665 - 03/11/03 03:02 AM (21 years, 23 days ago)

1- Achieving an even pinset takes practice. Try to keep your casing layer depth as consistant as possible across the substrate.

2- Use a non-transluscent casing container. IME taping the bottom and sides is not enough to stop pinning in these areas.

Nice looking fruits!  :laugh: 

--------------------

Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

OfflineBigJohnson
Whoa! You guysneed to lightenup!

Loc: The Yard
    #1364678 - 03/11/03 03:05 AM (21 years, 23 days ago)

A friend had the same problems. His next go he was thinking of using coffee cans, or some other light proof container.

He's also considered lining the sides of the container with casing mix, but the mycelia would still reach the walls after a while and pin if light gets through.

Those pins in the first pic look like they are going to be big fruits! :smile:

--------------------
Should the US relegalize drugs?

http://www.lp.org/issues/relegalize.html

Invisiblepoke smot!
floccinocci floofinator
Male

Re: Problems with casing (first flush) *DELETED* [Re: dog]
    #1364680 - 03/11/03 03:05 AM (21 years, 23 days ago)

Post deleted by poke smot!

Reason for deletion: x

OfflineBigJohnson
Whoa! You guysneed to lightenup!

Loc: The Yard
    #1364683 - 03/11/03 03:07 AM (21 years, 23 days ago)

What is the casing mix, btw?

--------------------
Should the US relegalize drugs?

http://www.lp.org/issues/relegalize.html

Offlinemike
iHugTrees

Re: Problems with casing (first flush) [Re: BigJohnson]
    #1364858 - 03/11/03 04:31 AM (21 years, 23 days ago)

the thing that struck me the most, was the strain.

matias romero(PF classic) is not(to my knowledge) a good casing strain.
again this is just my two cents and would be glad to be proven wrong, but that is what i have heard.

--------------------
Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy.
-Albert Einstein

Anonymous

Re: Problems with casing (first flush) [Re: mike]
    #1365017 - 03/11/03 05:30 AM (21 years, 23 days ago)

Light can get through one layer of duct tape. My friend uses aluminum foil and then adds duct tape to hold it on. No light gets through the aluminum foil.

OfflinePhychotron
Crazy Mofo
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: In A Forest Of Colossal F...
Re: Problems with casing (first flush) [Re: fee]
    #1365079 - 03/11/03 05:59 AM (21 years, 22 days ago)

judging by the tray size, it looks like your casing is a tad bit thin. Looks to me like the whole thing is about 2" or so. those casing tub?s your buddy is using (5 pack from walmart?) hold about 6 1/2 pint jars.

here?s a good experiement to show what happens when you get a weak/small casing.

take 1 cake, and case it in a drinkig cup like normal (plastic) use the whole cake, broken up. Then when it starts to pin, you should notice 100?s of pins all over. they grow to about 1/2". Or, you might even see only a few pins, where the mushroom will grow to only about an inch or so. .... This is a waste of a perfectly good cake, but sometime your friend might find that he has one he can spare.

--------------------
On a mission to prove that the truth gets you no where.
They tried the truth, It didn't work. Then they wrote the bible. 

Only the foolish fear the inevitable.

Edited by Phychotron (03/11/03 06:08 AM)

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Problems with casing (first flush) [Re: Phychotron]
    #1365677 - 03/11/03 09:13 AM (21 years, 22 days ago)

5 shrooms for you, psychotron! and 5 also to poke smot - these casings don't look to me like failures, but great successes!

:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

--------------------
buh

OfflinePhychotron
Crazy Mofo
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Problems with casing (first flush) [Re: shirley knott]
    #1365771 - 03/11/03 09:37 AM (21 years, 22 days ago)

the big one's actualy turned into abhorts, and no more flushes after that.

as for the small one's... those were all picked and dried, they were like little toothpicks. They did pack a pretty powerfull punch, but only the 1 flush. They sure were cute.

--------------------

Invisiblepsilosinner
Sinner
Male

Loc: Follow the yellow brick r...
    #1365872 - 03/11/03 10:09 AM (21 years, 22 days ago)

Try using aluminum bread baking pans from any grocery store or any "Mart" store instead of the rubbermaid/sterlite containers.

--------------------
"I don't like people who take drugs... Customs men for example."
- Mick Miller -

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
Re: Problems with casing (first flush) [Re: psilosinner]
    #1365904 - 03/11/03 10:19 AM (21 years, 22 days ago)

don't use damn aluminum pans. how wasteful can you be? use opaque plastic bins. there are many sources: kitty litter pans, dishpans, concrete mixing pans, paint mixing bins, bins of various art uses, etc.

Invisiblepoke smot!
floccinocci floofinator
Male

Re: Problems with casing (first flush) *DELETED* [Re: debianlinux]
    #1367079 - 03/11/03 05:54 PM (21 years, 22 days ago)

Post deleted by poke smot!

Reason for deletion: x

Edited by poke smot! (03/11/03 06:05 PM)

OfflinePhychotron
Crazy Mofo
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #1367374 - 03/11/03 07:42 PM (21 years, 22 days ago)

prevention is key. with the first tray you showed, just get some of that really wide foil, and line it with that first. You will have to have the length about 2x longer. when it goes in, it'll look like your going to waste a bunch of foil, but you'll find you may need more. it sucks more to not have enough. Try lining the tray at first befor you rip it off the roll.

foil works better than tape/plastic for keeping light out... imagine putting foil over a window to keep the light out... none will get thru, whereas if you put tape, thier is still some light that will come in. although you may find you will save in the long run if you use a few rolls of tape.

I have also found that foil on the outside of the tray let's light get down into the sides.
Examples
http://shroomz.forplanetearth.com/Images/BPlus/BPlus_04.jpg
http://shroomz.forplanetearth.com/BPlus.htm

I forgot to add, they were 'fished out' gently, but contam hit. one even went down the bottom.

--------------------

Edited by Phychotron (03/11/03 07:43 PM)

Offlinefelix
 User Gallery

#1367467 - 03/11/03 09:45 PM (21 years, 22 days ago)

the reason the fruits mainly pop around the sides is only partly because of light. the light is not exactly what is causing it though.

as your casing colonizes and uses up the substrate, it squeezes the whole casing inward. this causes the casing sides to pull away from the walls of the container. inside these crevices, the humidity and moisture is high. coupled with light being able to seep into the crevice is why you get pins there. these crevices become micro climates perfect for producing pins.

just fill these gaps with extra casing, or sprinkle some vermiculite along the sides and slightly press it down.

--------------------
Real botanists laugh at HPS systems, we do however use high pressure sodium in the parking lot. - artthug

OfflineSemperUbiSubUbi
some dude

Loc: Colorado
Re: Problems with casing (first flush) [Re: felix]
    #1367488 - 03/11/03 10:20 PM (21 years, 22 days ago)

1)PF is a real mutant, your mushrooms shape/size is typical, IMHO really nice.
2)Not much you can do for those casings right now. And I agree with the general consensus, next time, line the inside of your FOAF's tray with aluminium foil.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom