Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]
Precognition
    #13571551 -

On Skepdic, a reader responds to an entry on precognition:

30 March 2009
I can understand why one would be skeptical concerning these matters, but I know for a fact that the human brain is capable of doing such things.

In 1984, I was living in Denver Colorado, and I began having what they call premonitions (seeing things happen before they actually do). I had three of them, and when they began I thought I was losing my mind.

I don't know how it works, but I know it is something that one cannot control. It just happens on its own.

There was a time when I laughed at people who made these claims, but I don't laugh anymore.

I assure you these things do indeed happen.

Larry


In a follow up letter he writes:

The last was a vision of a cop murdering a women with a flashlight in her home. This one was not verified.

The first one was of a fire during a severe drought.

The second was an aged aunt dying.

And the third was totally unconfirmed, yet this reader was so convinced of his abilities, that he felt it necessary to add it as 'evidence' for his gift.

Reminds me of several members here.

I was a skeptic until Larry assured me they do happen. :tongue:


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Precognition [Re: OrgoneConclusion] * 1
    #13571561 -

im seeing a fire

intense smoke

screaming

barbra streisand charred and dead


:thirdeyeani:







tragedy?


--------------------
Jesus loves you.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Precognition [Re: OrgoneConclusion]
    #13571565 -

well you certainly havent convinced me of anything, one way or the other

good job. excellent thread. Incredibly enlightening



are you trying to present one person's highly subjective view as proof that precognition doesn't exist? :failboat:

A more appropriate title for the thread would have been "Larry"


--------------------
MY HAIR IS A BIRD 
YOUR ARGUMENT IS INVALID


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Precognition [Re: andrewss]
    #13571570 -

Peepholes who need peepholes
Are the luckiest
Peepholes in the world!


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Precognition [Re: the bizzle]
    #13571577 -

Quote:
are you trying to present one person's highly subjective view as proof that precognition doesn't exist



Maybe you will be the first to state what evidence could disprove precognition.

The thread was obviously about self-deception and mystic powers. I have listed thousands here over the years and yet, not one believer has listed a single piece of solid evidence FOR mystical powers.


--------------------

Edited by OrgoneConclusion (12/02/10 02:37 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Larry [Re: OrgoneConclusion]
    #13571584 -

Quote:
The thread was obviously about self




do you know for a fact that precognition is impossible?


--------------------
MY HAIR IS A BIRD 
YOUR ARGUMENT IS INVALID


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Larry [Re: the bizzle] * 1
    #13571604 -

I know for a fact the you have a reading comprehension problem. What did I just write?


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Larry [Re: OrgoneConclusion]
    #13571630 -

But I want to argue about my strawman :hissyfit:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Larry [Re: johnm214]
    #13571639 -

:rofl2:

Well, it is standard reply #6 in the True Believer's handbook...


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Larry [Re: OrgoneConclusion]
    #13571644 -

OrgoneConclusion said:
What did I just write?



your own personal opinion of something, but nothing substantial



so...do you know for a fact that precognition is impossible? if so, please explain


is Larry proof? no


I was a skeptic until Orgone didn't convince me at all that precognition doesn't happen

I don't have proof that it does...to be honest I'm not very concerned... but I don't have proof that it doesn't either, and it seems like neither do you

Quote:
Argument from Incredulity is an informal logical fallacy where a participant draws a positive conclusion from an inability to imagine or believe the converse. The most general structure of this argument runs something like the following:

  1. I can't imagine how P could possibly be false
  2. Therefore, P.

A simple variation on this is

  1. I cannot imagine how P could possibly be true
  2. Therefore, not-P.

This is a fallacy because someone else with more imagination may find a way. This fallacy is therefore a simple variation of argument from ignorance. In areas such as science and technology, where new discoveries and inventions are always being made, new findings may arise at any time.





--------------------
MY HAIR IS A BIRD 
YOUR ARGUMENT IS INVALID


Edited by the bizzle (12/02/10 03:10 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Larry [Re: the bizzle] * 1
    #13571722 -

Quote:
so...do you know for a fact that precognition is impossible?



One last time: please explain how to do the impossible - to prove a negative and you may win the Philosopher of The YEar Award.

If you cannot, why would you posit something so ignorant?


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Larry [Re: OrgoneConclusion]
    #13572394 -

:haha:


--------------------
MY HAIR IS A BIRD 
YOUR ARGUMENT IS INVALID


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Larry [Re: the bizzle]
    #13572705 -

How can something occur if the chain of events wasn't started at an earlier point? Mapping out the probability space of the future by cosmic vision. That's the basis for precognition. :shrug:

When I start eating something tasty I usually receive a vision of myself, bloated, with stomach cramps, and half an hour later it has come true.

Many such cases. Who could refute them? :crazy2:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Larry [Re: the bizzle] * 1
    #13574665 -

OrgoneConclusion said:
I know for a fact that you have a reading comprehension problem.




--------------------
Well I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them. --  Bob Dylan
fireworks_god said:
It's one thing to simply enjoy a style of life that one enjoys, but it's another thing altogether to refer to another person's choice as "wrong" or to rationalize their behavior as being pathological or resulting from some sort of inadequacy or failing so as to create a sense of superiority or separation as yet another projection of a personal fear or control issue.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Larry [Re: Poid]
    #13574694 -

:haha:


--------------------
MY HAIR IS A BIRD 
YOUR ARGUMENT IS INVALID


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Larry [Re: the bizzle]
    #13574705 -



--------------------
Well I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them. --  Bob Dylan
fireworks_god said:
It's one thing to simply enjoy a style of life that one enjoys, but it's another thing altogether to refer to another person's choice as "wrong" or to rationalize their behavior as being pathological or resulting from some sort of inadequacy or failing so as to create a sense of superiority or separation as yet another projection of a personal fear or control issue.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Larry [Re: amuzakat] * 1
    #13574707 -

Not being able to prove that precognition is impossible is a very poor reason for believing in it.

I can't prove that there's NOT an invisible, undetectable teapot in orbit around the Earth, but that's no reason to believe in it.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Larry [Re: amuzakat]
    #13574720 -

amuzakat said:
When I start eating something tasty I usually receive a vision of myself, bloated, with stomach cramps, and half an hour later it has come true.


Some things are easier to predict than others, so what? Precognition is the power to know exactly what actually happens in the future, it isn't the ability to merely predict with astounding accuracy.


--------------------
Well I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them. --  Bob Dylan
fireworks_god said:
It's one thing to simply enjoy a style of life that one enjoys, but it's another thing altogether to refer to another person's choice as "wrong" or to rationalize their behavior as being pathological or resulting from some sort of inadequacy or failing so as to create a sense of superiority or separation as yet another projection of a personal fear or control issue.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Larry [Re: Poid]
    #13574766 -

Samurai Drifter said:
Not being able to prove that precognition is impossible is a very poor reason for believing in it.

I can't prove that there's NOT an invisible, undetectable teapot in orbit around the Earth, but that's no reason to believe in it.



Read what Poid answered.

Poid said:
amuzakat said:
When I start eating something tasty I usually receive a vision of myself, bloated, with stomach cramps, and half an hour later it has come true.


Some things are easier to predict than others, so what? Precognition is the power to know exactly what actually happens in the future, it isn't the ability to merely predict with astounding accuracy.



I'm sorry if I used the concept of precognition in a wrong way. But I had a precognition someone would correct me, that's why I was sloppy. :shrug:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Larry [Re: amuzakat]
    #13574776 -

amuzakat said:
Poid said:
amuzakat said:
When I start eating something tasty I usually receive a vision of myself, bloated, with stomach cramps, and half an hour later it has come true.


Some things are easier to predict than others, so what? Precognition is the power to know exactly what actually happens in the future, it isn't the ability to merely predict with astounding accuracy.



I'm sorry if I used the concept of precognition in a wrong way. But I had a precognidiction someone would correct me, that's why I was sloppy. :shrug:


Fixed. :stoned:


--------------------
Well I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them. --  Bob Dylan
fireworks_god said:
It's one thing to simply enjoy a style of life that one enjoys, but it's another thing altogether to refer to another person's choice as "wrong" or to rationalize their behavior as being pathological or resulting from some sort of inadequacy or failing so as to create a sense of superiority or separation as yet another projection of a personal fear or control issue.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Psychics vs. skeptics on Larry King Live
( 1 2 3 4 all )
Jellric 8,474 72 01/01/06 04:26 PM
by MushmanTheManic
* My 23 yo niece had a precognitive dream of her mom's death
( 1 2 all )
OrgoneConclusion 3,016 30 11/09/07 02:57 PM
by jonathanseagull
* Precognition finally confirmed! OrgoneConclusion 893 16 06/22/09 04:32 PM
by OrgoneConclusion
* Jesus - Christ by Pre-Existence or by Adoption?
( 1 2 all )
MarkostheGnostic 2,470 24 07/27/04 07:26 PM
by shroomydan
* Psychedelic Precognition Howardo 1,533 11 09/25/03 04:44 AM
by fireworks_god
* Are you a slave to a God that doesn't exist?
( 1 2 3 all )
Larrythescaryrex 8,128 42 07/30/02 04:00 PM
by Larrythescaryrex
* UFO Panel on Larry King
( 1 2 all )
OrgoneConclusion 1,992 31 07/14/07 07:24 PM
by Icelander
* Mystery of Death-on Larry King Live tonight gettinjiggywithit 927 12 04/02/05 10:10 AM
by gettinjiggywithit

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Middleman, DividedQuantum
2,029 topic views. 0 members, 2 guests and 4 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.028 seconds spending 0.005 seconds on 16 queries.