Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Air Pump, Aquarium Heater, Perlite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineigore
Shroomist
Loc: AZ
20 Gallon high-budget terrarium set-up
    #1338752 - 02/26/03 08:51 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Someone that I know is in the process of creating a high-quality grow chamber using a 20-gallon terrarium that he found in the garage. First off, if the perlite method is used to humidify the terrarium, can he use a fully submersible aquarium heater imbedded directly in the perlite layer? Would this cause problems if the water level was kept at a constant level to maintain imersion? He already has an under-tank heater pad which claims to be able to manipulate the temperature in the terrarium to 10 degrees higher than the room-temperature, but he thinks that the fully submersible heater will allow for more direct and specific temperature manipulation. Second, in regards to gas exchange, said person has bought a tetratec 150 dual-output air pump. Does he have to run the silicone tubing through an air-stone in the tank, or can he just insert the silicone airlines directly into the terrarium. Third, is there some reason that all teks recommend that there be holes for Carbon Dioxide escape drilled in the lower part of the fruiting chamber as opposed to the upper part, or in my friends case, the lid. Won't the incoming oxygen force out the carbon dioxide independent of where the escape holes are? If he runs this pump constantly, will it eliminate the need for him to open the lid and fan it out periodically? Are coffee filters effective enough to hold out contamination in the air-pump casing and the escape holes, or should I invest in some of that expensive stuff? All replies are greatly appreciated, my friend is distressed, he wants to get this underway. Any recommendation for strains? Thanks.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinesocratesmind
old hand

Loc: in your house :)
Re: 20 Gallon high-budget terrarium set-up [Re: igore]
    #1338765 - 02/26/03 08:58 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

1) No reason for an aquarium heater as optimum fruiting temps for P. Cubensis are around 70F.
2) You could do either or i think bubbling through some h2o2+h2o mix would be a lil more sterile than straight outside air.
3)CO2 is heavier than O2 thus the new O2 introduce via the bubbler will effectively pushout the old CO2.
4)You can run it constantly but check the pump ratings on how much air it moves and do a little math with your grow chamber. Also the bubbler will giveoff a very fine mist as well to keep condensation up.
5) No need to fan manually anymore if one has a bubbler and passive exhaust holes.
6) Tightly packed polyfill will work well or a coffee filter will do or even a lil paper vapor mask.

--------------------
Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded.
- Abraham Lincoln: Speech in the Illinois House of Representatives, Dec 18, 1840.

Offlineigore
Shroomist
Loc: AZ
Re: 20 Gallon high-budget terrarium set-up [Re: socratesmind]
    #1338794 - 02/26/03 09:12 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

First off, thank you so much for your input, that was my first post. The airstone will help condensation, I didn't know that. Is optimum fruiting temperature really 70 degrees, others said that it was 86 degrees. Am I confused? Thanks

Offlinesocratesmind
old hand

Loc: in your house :)
    #1338805 - 02/26/03 09:17 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

i'm usually more of an asshole but i haven't posted in cult in a while so here it goes. READ THE FAQ first. the stages of colonization optimal temps are 84F but after you birth it to fruit then drop the temps to aroudn 70F. it's all covered in the FAQ so don't worry. it'll come to you one day plain as day after your first sucessful grow just don't giveup.

--------------------
Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded.
- Abraham Lincoln: Speech in the Illinois House of Representatives, Dec 18, 1840.

InvisibleMagashM
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
    #1338930 - 02/26/03 10:33 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Offlinemike
iHugTrees

Re: 20 Gallon high-budget terrarium set-up [Re: Magash]
    #1339269 - 02/27/03 04:21 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

being somewhat of a newbe i can see whats up. its cool man, dont worry about all the little details, people make this harder than it needs to be in beginning.

incubation temp 86
fruiting 70-76 (preference/strain)
strain~ creeper is supposed to be real quick to colonise, a friend of mine has some of them on the way. but i would also have to to reccomend the matieas romero strain.
some dont liek it, but it is a good shroom to grow on cakes.

great luck friend

--------------------
Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy.
-Albert Einstein

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Air Pump, Aquarium Heater, Perlite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation