Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineScarfmeister
Thrill Seeker
Loc: The will to power
Is your ego stopping you from appreciating art?
    #1337571 - 02/26/03 10:13 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

I have noticed that i have some problems really appreciating art and literature. For example. When i read a book i can get totally engrossed in it and then when i put it down my mind starts analyzing what i have just read. and within minutes i have turned a great reading experience in to crap.

I think things like. Where is this author trying to take me? And isn't it a little obvious. How presumptuous o him to think i would fall for such an easy grip. Nah I'm smarter than that. I can picture the author sitting there writing his book thinking about what kind of emotions he is trying to convey and how he can sucker the gullible reader to absorb those emotions.
I start to analyze really clever passages and think to myself that in reality it wasn't very clever only banal and pretentious.

Art can also have the same effect on me. I think "you tought that was pretty brilliant huh?" " well it's NOT. Its insulting. Your only using the same tired bullshit that you know the masses will like." Its been done before, by real masters, not posers duplicating a genius visions."

I need to stop giving myself so much credit.

--------------------
--------------------
We're the lowest of the low, the scum of the fucking earth!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblechodamunky
Cheers!

Loc: sailing the seas of chees...
Re: Is your ego stopping you from appreciating art? [Re: Scarfmeister]
    #1338312 - 02/26/03 03:23 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

constructive criticism is always good, and if you got some then I don't see why you should deny it. But on the other hand if your analysis and critique are taking away from the joy and experience of art, then maybe that is a sign you should just let yourself be absorbed by the work.

P.S. all art is intentional if the creator knows what he's doing.

Offlinexxxkitty23
Stranger
Re: Is your ego stopping you from appreciating art? [Re: chodamunky]
    #1338325 - 02/26/03 03:30 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Maybe you could consider actually really looking at art not crap. I find that a lot of stuff goes under the guise of art in order to sell and forces people to say ohh ahh i like this when really they don't. It's kind of like propaganda. I mean have you ever seen a bunch of "sophisticated" people standing around gapping at the stupidest piece of tripe?
Real art is transcendental. So maybe next time if you have that experience you could feel like you got ripped off rather than the self-mutalation and catholic guilt... Maybe they are relying on typical measures and recipes... Hey, make your own!

OfflineMurex
Reality Hacker

Loc: Traped in a shell.
    #1338597 - 02/26/03 05:30 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

The ego might have something to do with it- it is shaped into appreachating what 'good' art is. Art is and should be subjective. A Picaso might look like crap to you and good to someone else, but maybe he has been shaped into a great artist by people who make it out to be something more than it really is. Picaso might be a great artist in his own way, but many other artists that are great never get recognized and never will. It all deals with hype.

I'm in a lot of art classes and I notice the instructors overanalizing art to where they make any piece of crap look like genious. Me personally. I'm pretty picky when it comes to art- I can go thru tons of artist's art with just a glance and think to myself 'What a bunch of crap' while others stare at it forever and overanalize it. I like only a few artists, and most of them are never heard of and never will be. So howcome all theze oldschool artists that all paint the same are so great? They are all conforming to the same frickin style!

Sorry 'bout the rant.  :blush: 

--------------------
What if everything around you
Isn't quite as it seems?
What if all the world you think you know,
Is an elaborate dream?
And if you look at your reflection,
Is it all you want it to be?

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
    #1338754 - 02/26/03 06:52 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

SUSPEND YOUR DISBELIEF.

LET THE ARTIST STROKE YOUR BRAIN.

DON'T RESIST :smile:

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order