Home | Community | Message Board

FreeSpores.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinejustthiz
prozac über alles
Conciousness... ego ... physical body
    #581372 - 03/17/02 03:04 PM (15 years, 10 days ago)

Where do you believe or what theory do you believe does the consciousness of a person come from...?

Can consciousness exist without a psysical body ... ?
Does an ego exist without a physical body ?
What do you consider the differences between ego and conciousness ? (is an ego a way of expressing the consciousness one has ?)

If someone once was "normal" but due to an accident got "retarded" or something does this mean he still has the same consciousness as before but is his ability to use it or expres itself severly reduces let's say is his conciousness still the same but the ability to expres himself... the ego harmed? ... or do pysical accidents have an impact on consiousness itself and not only the way of expressing the consciousness, the ego... when the latter would be true i suppose the consiousness of someone stands in direct contact with someone's physical body ?

What do you people think about this ? am i wrong in my thinking
any thoughts appreciated!

cya

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
Re: Conciousness... ego ... physical body [Re: justthiz]
    #581395 - 03/17/02 03:43 PM (15 years, 10 days ago)

Well, Rick Strassman suggested in his book "DMT: The Spirit Molecule" that consciousness comes from the pineal gland. Others say there is some ethereal soul that *mysteriously* enters our bodies at birth (or if you're a pro-lifer, after ejaculation) and then leaves our bodies when we die.

But I have the inside scoop kids... that's right.
Consciousness comes from Zeez. I found all this out when I was hit by a bus and was in a coma for some time...

The last thing I remember of "reality" is flipping through the air, stopping (hit the pavement), and a white light oozes its way into my field of view... quickly becoming all I see and then POW.
Suddenly, I?m in a capsule of some sort and blue goop is draining out of it. A pasty gray skinned insect-like being opens the shell to the capsule and looks at me with its glowing red eyes and states, ?Welcome Back.?
?What is going on? Where am I??
?Zeez, sector eight.? It replied.
I sit up and as I?m doing so, I see that I look exactly like it. Pasty gray skin, six appendages, and so forth. I can?t see my eyes, but I suppose they are red as are my new friend?s.
?I?m Pozzulpeesh, your guide,? as he helps me onto my feet.
?I?m? well I?m Seth Gr? wait, WHAT am I?? Further examining my body I notice that unlike an exoskeleton of an insect, I seem to have bones.
?This is your true form, you are a Zeeyan. Was your journey, thus far, enjoyable??
?Journey??
?Yeah, your life? did you enjoy it so far??
?Um, yes? was I abducted??
?What?? {long pause} ?You?re back. With Zeez.?
?I don?t understand.?
?Partial memory lag. You?ll remember soon enough. If your shell pulls through, which it looks like it will, you get the opportunity to go back?
?My shell??
As I say this, Pozzulpeesh is walking me down a corridor lined with hundreds of capsules.

"Shell is the term we Zeeyans use for our bodies we inhabit on the Earths.?
?I thought I wasn?t abducted.?
?You haven?t been? your shell is comatose, unless it dies, you can?t join back up with the collective. You?re lucky? these situations aren?t too common. You now have a choice, you can decide, right now, whether or not you want to go back and finish your life trip or you can quit now and join back up with the collective and wait your turn for another trip.?
?Can you just slow down a second, I need to think this out.?
?Sure, time isn?t a factor here anyway so I have all the time in the world? but you don?t.?
?What do you mean??
?Well, existence in Zeez is based on thought, but existence on the Earths is based on time. Since you are still partially linked to your shell, the more you think about this choice, the longer your shell?s brain is not working. So think quickly, before your shell?s brain atrophies.?
A wave of dizzy, disorientation overcomes me and I can?t speak.
Pozzulpeesh turns to me and says, ?I don?t know if you?ve noticed, but we have no mouths. Telepathy is how we?ve been communicating. Also, have you noticed the smears of color that trail moving objects??
?Yes?why is that??
?Well, when your shell perceives these trails produced by reflected light, it is due to receptors in your brain turning off too slowly. This receptor lag happens when you are tired or half-awake, in a trance, or??
?Ah, but time is not a factor here, so why does it happen here??
?Well, since what you are experiencing right now is only an arbitrary perception we force on you and nothing you see actually exists in a physical sense of the word, these trails can only be??
?Trails of thought!?
?Yes, you see, thoughts persist, even small ones.?

This is all bullshit, consciousness comes from the magical Toozu crystal in the nether regions of the Gimzee Volcano.

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

OfflinecHeMiCaLoRaNgE
journeyman

Loc: Saskatoon, SK., Canada
    #581420 - 03/17/02 04:09 PM (15 years, 10 days ago)

consciouness can exsist without your physical body, your ego can not, your ego is an evil spirit.

--------------------
<+> wOrLd PhIlOsOpHy CaN OnLy bE UnDeRsToOd ThRoUgH aStRaL aWaKeNiNg<+>

Offlinejustthiz
prozac über alles
Re: Conciousness... ego ... physical body [Re: cHeMiCaLoRaNgE]
    #581529 - 03/17/02 06:22 PM (15 years, 10 days ago)

Why do you consider the ego to be evil... (example) :smile:

cya 

InvisibleRevelation

User Gallery

Loc: heart cave
    #581537 - 03/17/02 06:42 PM (15 years, 10 days ago)

I think I can see where you're coming from by saying that the ego is evil, do you mean that the ego stops us from seeing the good (the love, the all, etc)? If so I agree, but I think that the ego is *required*, in this realm of the relative, for us to see it at all.

--------------------

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
Re: Conciousness... ego ... physical body [Re: Revelation]
    #581564 - 03/17/02 07:17 PM (15 years, 10 days ago)

There are two often confused connotations/definitions for ego. The first is that the ego is that 1st person perspective that we all have blah blah. The other use for ego is "that guy has a big ego- what a cock!". Having an ego is not being egotistical. Being conceited is being egotistical.

The first is necessary. The second is not.
Now, which were you referring to as evil?

And BTW, what in the hell does this have to do with the first two posts? We're nitpicking here, missing the rest of the movie...

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

InvisibleRevelation

User Gallery

Loc: heart cave
Re: Conciousness... ego ... physical body [Re: Sclorch]
    #581609 - 03/17/02 08:24 PM (15 years, 10 days ago)

I don't think that the ego is evil, but I think I see why chemicalorange might see that....i don't think that evil actually exists.

"And BTW, what in the hell does this have to do with the first two posts? We're nitpicking here, missing the rest of the movie..."

I dunno...i can't even remember what the original point was, and i'm too lazy to press *back*...

--------------------

OfflineskaMariaPastora
Utopiate
Loc: MA
    #581771 - 03/17/02 11:52 PM (15 years, 10 days ago)

The ego is necessarily in this physical world. Without it people would never survive. However, once you leave this world your ego will dissolve and you will see everything as it is, connected as a whole. So it is important to not hold onto your ego too tightly, but abandoning it altogether in this life is not strictly desirable (or even possible) in my opinion.

Offlinedamilio
Stranger
Loc: Amsterdam
Re: Conciousness... ego ... physical body [Re: skaMariaPastora]
    #583095 - 03/19/02 08:28 AM (15 years, 8 days ago)

The Ego is only needed to learn in a world of all kinds of different things that everything is 1.
All the differences form 1 thing... > life.

--------------------
Something without hart in it, cannot touch a hart.

Offlinekyuss
Re: Conciousness... ego ... physical body [Re: damilio]
    #583363 - 03/19/02 02:40 PM (15 years, 8 days ago)

ego is our rational mind, it has to juggle the needs of our primal urges (kill fuck die) against the needs of our morality and social existence.

I hear a lot of stuff about ego death and loss of ego, in other words - loosing your mind. If i lost my ego i would either be a compleate animal (not far from the truth) pissing on the floor raping every good looking female ect. or I would lead a monk like existence of no sex or pleasure and doing daytime tv programs educating kids against the evils of secular life. Christ, neither option seems very appealing, i like my ego because i would be fucked(or not) without it.

Consciousness survives death, sort of, it would be like falling into a black whole, your awareness would be locked in the fraction of a second before your physical body died and you would be in essence lost in time.

I belive concsiosness comes from the brain, it is a self-referencing perceptual feedback loop. The mind is like a pond, you chuck in a perpetual pebble and the ripples spread out changing the surface of the water, when another perceptual pebble is thrown in, the ripples from the previos one interfere with the second pebbles ripples. hence thought patterns are created. Now pretend that you can freeze the water in your mental pond, all the waves and ripples form a unique pattern, these ripples represent our knowledge about the world we percieve. We need to refer back to these thought patterns in order to deal with situations, these new experiences change the thought pattern improving our reality model. Consiousness is the continual feedback loop, our presaved thought patterns come out of memory, process our sense data, integrate the new experience into the overall pattern and then is saved back into our memory and so on and so on.

Somebody said that the universe is the memory space in gods head. Likewise our concsious awareness is our memory space.

OfflinecHeMiCaLoRaNgE
journeyman

Loc: Saskatoon, SK., Canada
    #584289 - 03/20/02 03:42 PM (15 years, 7 days ago)

the ego was not meant to be, material posessions developed this ego in humans, ya know what i mean if you see those chauches in their rice rockets cruzin by. what i said about the ego being an evil spirit, i musta been on crack or something, i just mean that for me at least my ego is what gives me false ideas about myself, those things that you just hate to hear. i'm in no way condemning material posessions, just that they can take over your life and then it aint worth livin no more. anyway hope ya catch my drift>>>>>>

--------------------
<+> wOrLd PhIlOsOpHy CaN OnLy bE UnDeRsToOd ThRoUgH aStRaL aWaKeNiNg<+>

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology