Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Herb Grinder, Scales, pH Test Strips

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineesin
cheesefondue
 User Gallery

Loc: Lysergia
On mushroom extraction...
    #1316895 - 02/18/03 02:38 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Finally i finished my first extraction experiences.

Just thought i would post this for the curious b/c most of the info here is theoretical and not many people have actually tried it (at least i didn't find many posts about it).

I decided i was going to try first with a small amount just to see if it would work, and if it was worthwhile to do it with a large amount.

6g of homegrown cracker dry cubes were ground to a fine powder. I decided i was going to wash half of it with acetone prior to the extractions to see the difference.

Both the acetone and the methanol were industrial grade, and i have no idea if they were anhydrous or not. The label didn't state anything and i didn't bother to dry them with epsom salts.

So, 3g were left to stand in acetone for 12h at a temperature of about 35?- 45? C. Acetone was discarded.

Then in separate containers i left both 3g fractions to stand with methanol for 24h at the same temperature. I repeated this step 3 times.

The methanol was evaporated leaving behind a very sticky amber gunk in both fractions. I must say i was dissapointed as i expected some kind of powder or crystal at least in the one than was pre-washed.

I don't have a precise scale so i can't say if there's a difference between the two extractions. In the naked eye they seem equal in size and consistency. So i guess the acetone didn't remove many unwanted stuff...Maybe the chloroform would do a better job at that but i don't have access to it.

I am inclined to say that this extraction method doesn't yield 50% psilocybin. I even doubt that it yields 25% psilo. I would say 10 - 15%...But then again i don't have a precise scale to weigh the extractions so i can't estimate that based on the amount of shrooms i started with.

After this i rolled the extracts into 4 balls and with the help of some flour (so it wouldn't stick to my fingers) i molded them into pill form. The flour made the gunk harden.

Each 'pill' would contain the amount of goodies of 1,5g and is about the same size as a regular aspirin or ecstasy pill. Being that that amount of shrooms should contain 7 - 15 mg psilocybin, and that an ecstasy pill the same size aproximately weighs about 200mg according to erowid, it's easy to realize that that isn't 25% psilo (even if the density of an E pill and the gunk is different). I could be wrong though...

Bioessay: One pill (of the acetone washed fraction) was dropped in almost boiling water for me to find that it wouldn't dissolve the least bit. So i just put it in my mouth and sucked on it till it dissapeared. The taste was awful: 10x worse than that of plain shrooms. 30 minutes later there i was taking a mild walk at psiloland. No potency loss was noticed...Just a regular 1,5g trip.

Next step is giving one of the pills to a friend for him to swallow to see if the stomach can dissolve and digest the 'psilo pill'. I'm almost sure it will.

Conclusion: My objective with this experiment was to have a relatively pure powder i could dissolve in a small amount of ethanol (prolly vodka) for easiness of dosage. My original intention was to put the solution in a visine bottle and measure a dose by drops.

I found that it would take a very large amount of alcohol to dissolve that and it would probably have an effect on the trip. Not to mention having to carry the shroom liquor and a syringe for measuring whenever i wanted to trip.

However, if the pills can be swallowed with no loss of potency, the purpose of easiness of dosage was accomplished. Sucking on the pills is out of the question.

Don't know about the shelf life of the extract, but i don't think it will be a problem for me and my friends  :wink: 

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineBrugman
antisobrietarian
Male

Loc: the land up over
Re: On mushroom extraction... [Re: esin]
    #1317087 - 02/18/03 03:43 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Very interesting..
thanks for posting this.

Invisiblewhiterasta
Day careobserver
 User Gallery
Loc: Oregon
    #1317368 - 02/18/03 05:48 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Try this grind 14g w/1/2 tsp pure ascorbic acid in a coffee grinder.
place in a flask and add double the amount of powder in 95%EtOH and place in freezer.
Decant clear liquid on top and filter thru coffee filter
Add more EtOH and repeat except hold at 80F for 3hrs befor cooling and decanting.
Evaporate the liquid.You should get a white crystaline solid of good potency
I have just completed this and will wait 30 days in order to check storage.
the white solid should be a combination of Ascorbate salts of the active alkaloids and a slight excess of ascorbic acid as preservative of the more fragile Psilocin.Will post after bioassay in 30 days.
PS effect has been established for this strain at 3g dosage an equivalant will be ingested to determine efficiency of extraction. :wink:WR 

--------------------
To old for this place

Edited by whiterasta (02/18/03 05:49 PM)

InvisibleTeragon
Noddy

Loc: Lost in the Patterns
Re: On mushroom extraction... [Re: whiterasta]
    #1317481 - 02/18/03 06:40 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Esin and WhiteRasta-
          Both those methods sound very interesting. Would love to hear the test results of both of your experiments...looking forward to it! :grin:

Peace and Love
Andrew 

--------------------
need that cash to feed them jones.

Invisibledurban_poison
myco contractor
    #1317527 - 02/18/03 07:13 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

So the ascobic acid converted it to a salt but you didnt have to do an acid/base extraction? Also does the end product need to be cut? If so how do you make sure it is cut evenly.

Offlinemohican
Stranger
Re: On mushroom extraction... [Re: durban_poison]
    #1317761 - 02/18/03 09:19 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Acid/base extraction does not work with psilocybin due to its somewhat unique properties. It is what is called a zwitterion or self-salt as noted by Albert Hoffman and Sasha Shulgin and others.

On top of that you don't want to expose psilocybin to basic phs (or extremely acid phs). Mildy acidic solutions are friendly,however.

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London
    #1317766 - 02/18/03 09:20 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

3g were left to stand in acetone for 12h at a temperature of about 35?- 45? C. Acetone was discarded.

:confused:i don't understand. i thought the solvent absorbs the good stuff - it does in other extraction techniques. 

--------------------
buh

Offlinemohican
Stranger
    #1317774 - 02/18/03 09:25 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Exciting news to hear about your experiment.

Do definitely keep us posted. Why not perform one bioassay soon and then one in 30 days--so that you can compare the extract. Otherwise, if the extract is weak in 30 days, we won't know if it is due to instability of the extract over time or if somehow the extract wasn't potent to start with.

Question: how did you determine the amount of vitamin c to add?

Offlinefelix
this and that
 User Gallery

#1317826 - 02/18/03 10:02 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

im guessing your methanol contained alot of water, but i really wouldn't know. you should try again without using the acetone wash and heavily dessicate the final product after removing all of the methanol. then wait a couple of days for those crystals to rain down to the bottom of the container.

--------------------
Real botanists laugh at HPS systems, we do however use high pressure sodium in the parking lot. - artthug

Offlineesin
cheesefondue
 User Gallery

#1318058 - 02/19/03 02:22 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

This method sounds more appealing.
Do you have any idea why the final product in this method is cleaner? Is it because of the cold temps or b/c EtOH is more selective than MeOH?

My problem with EtOH, is that i can only find parcially denatured 96%. It's denatured with cetrimide (sp?). I guess i'll have to try evaporating a portion to see if this cetrimide stuff leaves a residue or if it evaporates along with the ethanol...

I'll definitely try your method next time! Thanks  :smile:

Offlineesin
cheesefondue
 User Gallery

Re: On mushroom extraction... [Re: shirley knott]
    #1318070 - 02/19/03 02:38 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

i don't understand. i thought the solvent absorbs the good stuff - it does in other extraction techniques. 

Psilocybin is unsoluble in acetone, as well as in other non-polar solvents. This is because it's a salt by itself and cannot be converted to freebase, like mohican said.
But it's soluble in alcohols and very soluble in water...

Quote:

im guessing your methanol contained alot of water, but i really wouldn't know. you should try again without using the acetone wash and heavily dessicate the final product after removing all of the methanol. then wait a couple of days for those crystals to rain down to the bottom of the container. 

As i said i tried half of it w/o the acetone wash. Results were equal.

Maybe the MeOH was not anhydrous, but i don't atribute the fact that the final product was a gunk to the water in the alcohol...I had seen a post by Anno where he had made a hot water extraction and the yield was brown powder.
I think alcohols dissolve fats and waxes along with the goodies, that being the cause of the gunky stuff.

After complete evaporation of the MeOH i set both evaporating containers with the gunk for 3 hours in the oven at 40? C just to make sure all of the toxic alcohol had evaporated before the bioassay. It was still a gunk... :frown:

Offlinefelix
this and that
 User Gallery

#1320101 - 02/19/03 05:48 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

almost like a tar right?

try putting it in a large shallow pan (glass is best) as to make a real thin layer of this tar. put it in a heavily dessicated chamber and all the water from the tar should evaporate. then, scrape it and you should get brownish/amber 'dust'.

--------------------
Real botanists laugh at HPS systems, we do however use high pressure sodium in the parking lot. - artthug

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Herb Grinder, Scales, pH Test Strips

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience