Home | Community | Message Board

Phytoextractum
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Pressure Cooker

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinepillsbury420
psychedelicscientist

Acceptable substarte jar characteristics.. need help plz!
    #1257504 - 01/29/03 06:18 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Ok folks, it's almost time. I checked the fedex website and it is very possible that i'll recieve my pressure cooker today! I bought brown rice, a coffee grinde, vercumilite, a fish tank heater and 2 rubbermade tubs(incubator) yesterday. All im mssing now are the jars  . If my pressure cooker does arrive today, then i'm probably gonna try to use a substitute for 1/2 pints. So a question to all experinced growers. Could you guys outline the ideal characteristics of what i can hold my substarte in as it colonizes? I mean.. as long as it is close to 1/2 pint in size (not much bigger so it doesnt take as long and give more chance of contams)... it's glass ( can be pressure cooked)... has a mouth the same size or wider than the rest of it(for ease of birthing cakes).. and has a lid... shouldn't this work just as good? I found some things that look almost the size of 1/2 pints at big lots. they have screw on plastic lids and they are glass. $0.99 each. the only problem i have with them is that they have little colorful line designs on them but they are clear..so there arent very many designs and i believe i can see everything i need to since they are clear.... so what do you guys think? i've been patient enough. if i get my pressure cooker tonight then i'm ready to get started! Thanks everyone 

The shroomery ROCKS  :cool: 

--------------------
The day you were born, you were born free. That is your privilege.

I forgot to remember.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
Re: Acceptable substarte jar characteristics.. need help plz! [Re: pillsbury420]
    #1257524 - 01/29/03 06:27 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

well, I've never used anything besides jars. I have seen plenty of working examples of people using drinking glasses here (searchy searchy). i CAN tell you that all glass is not created equal. lower quality glass tends to crack in the PC. I have seen these little jars that look real similar to a half pint that have this design kinda painted on it, has a plastic lid too. I got one of these to do honey water in with a modified plastic lid for injections. that piece of shit cracked in the pc on the 1st use ( id this nowadays with regular half-pints and quarter-pints repeatedly with no breakage). just a word of warning. your most likely best off making the investment into some jars. they are your friend.

Offlinepillsbury420
psychedelicscientist

Re: Acceptable substarte jar characteristics.. need help plz! [Re: debianlinux]
    #1257641 - 01/29/03 07:37 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Damn... that really sucks.  What you described sound's exactly what i've found.  But like i said.. i can't find 1/2 pint jars.  I've found pint jars but they don't have wide mouths.  And it cost 2 X the price of the jars to ship them from online.  I have everything i need now except for those damn jars.  I suppose i'll go buy one of the jars and PC it and see if it cracks.  Wish me luck. :frown: 

--------------------

I forgot to remember.

InvisibleATWAR
Connoisseur

Loc: #108768 in line...
Re: Acceptable substarte jar characteristics.. need help plz! [Re: pillsbury420]
    #1257703 - 01/29/03 08:01 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Just go look around at the dollar store or at big lots (love that place for cheap stuff) for some small tapered drinking glasses if you cant find jars. Personally I have never used glasses but im sure they will work fine if you are careful with your "homegrown" tin foil lid.

You might want to pick up just one and test it first in the PC beforehand, it would really suck to have a few jars or glasses with substrate in them bust inside the PC. What have you got to lose besides $0.99?

--------------------
To give is to live...

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London
Trusted Cultivator
    #1257871 - 01/29/03 08:52 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Here in the UK we can't get canning jars, or 1/2 pint jars anywhere. What we can do is browse the supermarket shelves for what they've got. Nice jam comes in nice tapered jars. Olives and pickles come in nice pint mason jars.

Search away. :laugh:

--------------------
buh

Offlinegobecky
her, no not her!

Loc: San Francisco
    #1257980 - 01/29/03 09:28 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

This is were I found mine. Can't find canning jars in SF either. I know expensive, but totally worth it. Make sure you get the wide mouth ones.

http://doitbest.com/shop/product.asp?mscssid=3PFVW4BKJBUM9HRAMJ2QB8B4JTLCCEN3&mbrid=4724&dept%5Fid=3112&sku=620162

--------------------
-There he goes one of god's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never intended for mass production. Too weird to live, too rare to die.
---Hunter Thompson

Edited by gobecky (01/29/03 09:38 AM)

OfflineKrasHnBurnZ
enthusiast

Loc: USA
Re: Acceptable substarte jar characteristics.. need help plz! [Re: gobecky]
    #1257998 - 01/29/03 09:37 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

FRed Meyers, & QFC for sure sells 4 different kinds of canning jars. If you have these in your area, check em out. They are like$8 for 12 wide mouth 1/2 pint.

Offlinepillsbury420
psychedelicscientist

Re: Acceptable substarte jar characteristics.. need help plz! [Re: KrasHnBurnZ]
    #1260718 - 01/30/03 06:42 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

To whom it may concern, i FINALLY found my jars.  I found them at a grocery store called Krogers.  So to any newbs out there.  Don't give up.  Even though the things are out of season you can still find them! :grin: 

--------------------

I forgot to remember.

OfflineProdijal_Son
slowmaster

Loc: derby city
    #1260728 - 01/30/03 06:46 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Wide Mouth are lame becky ... Bigger hole means more susceptible to contams ... and i assume that chose wide for cake method ... if i'm correct ... shaking up them kernels is k3y ... so there isn't a cake anyway ...

wide mouth = t3h suxx
narrow = k3y

--------------------
The times are good. The living is easy. The vibes are zingy.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Pressure Cooker

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation