Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineQuis
Stranger
**I am a Newbie with lots of Intelligent Questions**
    #1242250 - 01/23/03 06:59 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Hi everyone, and I welcome myself to the mushroom community. I have never grown mushrooms before but I have taken magic mushrooms before and due to lack of mushrooms in my area of the US, I really want/need to grow some. Unfortunately I do not have the facilities to get a pressure cooker or sterilize jars myself. So I searched on the net and found some pre-sterilized jars with substrate in them from www.mushroom-madness.com, I plan on buying the 1/2 pint set (a dozen a set) on there web page for $38.00 and then I plan on buying a 12 cc Cambodian Spore Syringe for $9.00 plus $17.00 shipping brings me to a total of $65.00. Not too bad from some of the other prices I have seen. I am under the impression that with these 2 products I can inoculate (sp?) the jars with the spore syringe with 1 cc per jar, cover them with tin foil, wait till they turn while, then birth them in a shallow cardboard box or plastic container with some damp paper towels on the bottom, does all this sound good?? A few questions/concerns that I have are: Is the Cambodian strain good for a first timer?? Are there any other strains that I should use?? I probably have enough money in my budget to get another spore syringe and will do so if anyone doesn?t believe that 1 spore syringe will be enough for 12 jars. Due to privacy concerns I plan on birthing 1 cake at a time, and I was wondering if the time span between cakes per cake would affect the sterile conditions of the other jars at all?? Furthermore, if I need to stick the box or plastic container with the colonized cake under a bed for security reasons, can it be done?? Or even a desk drawer that is cracked an inch or 2 open to let a little light in??? And lastly, how many dry grams of mushrooms should I expect per cake?? If the Cambodian strain is a low yielder or an average yielder I would like to chance that, I would like to get the most amounts of mushrooms for my money. Any questions or comments will be promptly responded to and I am open to all advice.

Thanks

Quis

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
Re: **I am a Newbie with lots of Intelligent Questions** [Re: Quis]
    #1242280 - 01/23/03 07:10 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

your a long winded bastard aren't cha!

you can steam jars in a pot of water and save alot of the money your spending on pre-made jars and shipping.

but...yeah you would inoculate the jars with the syringe.

then you want some kind of incubator...or some place that is warm...so the jars colonize.....84 degrees F.

Cambodian strain is a good strain....one of my favorites.
You should be fine with that strain.

Your jars should be fine as far as being sterile for a long time if they were sterilized properly.

Expect anywhere from 0 to 8 grams dry from each flush off the cakes...it all depends on your growing conditions what you will get in the end.

good luck!

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

OfflineWonderlust
WXZ?
    #1242288 - 01/23/03 07:11 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

You're right, these are all really good questions. most of the answers are in the FAQ, tho.

http://www.shroomery.org/faq/faq.php?list=categories&prog=1&lang=en&onlynewfaq=0

Learn it. Know it. Live it.

OfflineQuis
Stranger
    #1242308 - 01/23/03 07:35 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Thank you everyone for their comments, sorry of I asked some questions that were dumb or otherwise already answered Wonderlust. I tried to ask some questions that were specific to my situation and I am sorry if I asked questions that could of be answered by reading, there is lots and lots of information on mushroom cultivation on the internet, and if I missed topics that I should of looked at, I am sorry, I will make sure to visit your link right after typing this =). Thanks for the good suggestions Roadkill, but I am not going to be able to get my hands on a incubator to keep my jars really warm, fortunately the house that I live in is pretty warm most of the time do to it being in the winter in my hemisphere and the heater is running constantly. Do you believe that I could get an old thick blanket and wrap the jars up to keep them warm while they are being colonized to substitute for a warm environment?? And vatoloco I am sorry if I was unclear on my situation with the pressure cooker/sterilizing jars in my previous post, but it is just unfeasible in my current location, I live in a house with multiple room mates and there is a no drug use policy in the house itself, and I really need a place to live. There is no way I could explain why I am taking up the stove to sterilize a bunch of jars full of substrate. It would better if I stayed clear of any suspicion, but I am under the understanding that making my own jars would be alot cheaper, I only wish I could. I thank everyone again for his or her suggestions.

Quis

Offlinecomario2
amateur

Loc: between places
    #1242343 - 01/23/03 07:48 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

why don't you try mycobags?

--------------------
comario

"crusaders against emotional poverty"

OfflineQuis
Stranger
    #1242351 - 01/23/03 07:52 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Hmmm.. I was under the empression that Mycobag's are essentially the same thing I am getting except they are in jars, is that not the case?? However I may be able to make my own substrate and use the microwave instead of a pressure cooker, does anyone have any experience on having sterile plastic jars in the microwave??

Quis

OfflineAngry Mycologist
Spontaneouslycombusting

Loc: Galapagos
    #1243176 - 01/23/03 01:08 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

I would advise against myco-bags.  Go with the steam sterilization method and the PF-Tek.  Good luck dude :smile: 

--------------------
The proper penalty of ignorance, which is of course that those who don't know should learn from those who do... - Plato

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures