Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
I am a newbie with a question.
    #527840 -

I am a newbie with a question. A stupid one at that. Why is it totally necessary to use a pressure cooker to cook the 'cake' (?) rather than a regular ole pot? Pressure?! Why?! I will get NO beneficial results from boiling in my favorite pot?!?!
Don't be too harsh = )


--------------------
Free thinkers are dangerous.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I am a newbie with a question. [Re: MrNobody]
    #527843 -

Not a stupid question.
Pressure cookers are better cause they kill off germs better....and its a faster process.
You can boil your jars if you are so inclined.
Your going to have to boil them longer.....though.
:smile: 


--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!


Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I am a newbie with a question. [Re: MrNobody]
    #527855 -

By increasing the pressure of water it is possible for the water to reach a higher temperature, that is why pressure cooking works. Higher temp. means more dead contams. I previously boiled/steamed all of my jars and had decent results. If you have no pressure cooker available just boil with water 1/3-1/2 way up your jar. Place a towel in the bottom to buffer the heat transfer. Make sure to cover the pot as this will hold the steam in which carries more thermal energy. Boil/steam for at least an hour.

Joshua


--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

Great books for inquiring minds!

"Life After Death is Saprophytic!"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I am a newbie with a question. [Re: MrNobody]
    #528000 -

Silly boy you can also use a microwave i always just put my jars in the micro for like 8 mins (this is over kill) the major draw back to this is that you cant put metal in the micro so you have to come up with some kinda lid to keep the water in i just use wax paper. hope i helped.


--------------------
"THE FOOT KNOMES ARE EVERYWHERE!"
BY mE.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I am a newbie with a question. [Re: Mushroom69]
    #528168 -

i know many newbie growers who boil for an hour. they report only an occasional contam. a more pressing concern would be the cake drying out, but havenet heard alot of these either.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I am a newbie with a question. [Re: MrNobody]
    #528268 -

Another method that I find works is using a steamer. Just steam them for about an hour.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I am a newbie with a question. [Re: MrNobody]
    #528283 -

You will get alot of different opinions about this, but ShroomWizard suggests boiling for thirty minutes. I have made many, many jars this way and I have an extremely low contam rate. Maybe 1 in 45 jars get the green. I have an All-American pc, but the pot I use fits more jars at once and makes things a whole lot easier. Btw, it's a large crab pot with a metal steamer rack on the bottom so the jars never touch the bottom. Peace.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Newbie Question awakeningosiris 2,291 13 09/20/11 09:55 PM
by Big Pappa
* newbie question erotomania 1,298 3 05/16/02 08:28 PM
by Roadkill
* A few newbie questions? CornBall 1,113 3 06/25/01 09:40 PM
by Anonymous
* Newbies Dumb Questions. OLD_NEWBIE 1,874 3 01/19/02 01:12 AM
by Mklangelo
* New here. Newbie questions.
( 1 2 all )
Ninja_Mushroom 7,976 27 09/09/08 11:05 AM
by FaeFire
* Complete Newbie with Complete Newbie Questions...: Awake240 1,581 9 10/28/01 03:28 PM
by Awake240
* Newbie Questions - Help Me Out! :)
( 1 2 all )
The_Gnome_King 5,470 23 06/04/01 06:51 PM
by Beatnik
* Newbie Questions from a newbie! BulletoothTony 1,878 16 09/29/02 03:46 PM
by mickey_rourke

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
1,208 topic views. 8 members, 68 guests and 123 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.024 seconds spending 0.007 seconds on 16 queries.