Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinelares
Re: Newbies: use the SEARCH function [Re: PanTrop]
    #73267 - 02/06/00 07:40 PM (24 years, 1 month ago)

I have no problem with newbies posting whatsoever. I was once a newbie too.

But when I came to this board over two years ago, there was a lot less of the repetitive newbie posts. I understand there will be a certain increase in that as more people join the Shroomery community, and I like the idea that we all have a place to convene, young and old, experienced and inexperienced, grower and non-grower.

But, as Ryche put so well, there are a lot of really good, innovative, descriptive, helpful, and generally informative posts on the boards that get lost in the flotsam and jetsam of truly unnecessary newbie and/or off-topic posts. Sometimes I have to load several pages to get to the good stuff, which is pushed to the bottom as people reply to threads that need a single one-line answer or url pointing to a previous thread.

Once again, don't get me wrong. I try to help where I can. But when I know for a verified fact that there are literally dozens of previous posts that address an issue, it bugs me to see someone firing off a poorly-thought-out new thread and simply clogging up space and adding entropy to the boards.

Pretty soon I hope to have a pretty *comprehensive newbie FAQ* ready to contribute, with links to particularly helpful threads and some pretty detailed info on specific topics, as well as a good overview of different substrates and hardware teks. So I'm definitely aware that there are a lot of new growers out there that need some help finding the right information, and I'm more than willing to help in that effort. And if it saves some redundant posts, then I'll have accomplished at least part of the purpose I want that document to serve.

Amen to the idea to add a bigger search engine link and to make sure the search engine is up and running well. And amen to the new 'Pearls of Growing Wisdom' section. I think it would be a great boon to add a disclaimer that stands out a bit at the top of each forum, with a prominent link to the search engine, and some basic guidelines/ideas on what sorts of questions could be most easily answered by using it.

I am relatively experienced, and have spent untold hours perusing all aspects of the Shroomery, particularly the boards, and they are invaluable tools for every stripe of cultivator, from the guy that just realizeed that you could conceivably grow psychedelics yourself to someone like Workman who is an old hand at this arcane art and science.

I can tell you that the search engine, when used with some patience and foresight, can yield incredibly helpful information if you are willing to dredge up the pearls from the dross.

--------------------
"The universe does a math equation that never even ever really is anywhere in it, and if it spouts out creation, we're on the tip of its tongue, and it asks us where we stand." -- Modest Mouse

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleRyche HawkV
A Messenger
Male User Gallery

#73268 - 02/12/00 02:45 AM (24 years, 1 month ago)

:wink:

--------------------
-Peace-

High Quality MUSHROOM SPORES and CULTURES  for microscopy at www.muShrooms.com

muShrooms.com is the new web site of
www.thehawkseye.com

InvisibleRyche HawkV
A Messenger
Male User Gallery

#73269 - 02/16/00 10:14 AM (24 years, 1 month ago)

The search function has been working fast and good all week, guess Aphex must have fixed it.

-peace-

--------------------
-Peace-

High Quality MUSHROOM SPORES and CULTURES  for microscopy at www.muShrooms.com

muShrooms.com is the new web site of
www.thehawkseye.com

Offlinelares
    #73270 - 04/25/00 05:38 PM (23 years, 10 months ago)

Just thought I'd bump this page back up to the top.

--------------------
"The universe does a math equation that never even ever really is anywhere in it, and if it spouts out creation, we're on the tip of its tongue, and it asks us where we stand." -- Modest Mouse

Offlinevts1134
    #73271 - 04/25/00 06:01 PM (23 years, 10 months ago)

I grew a few flushes off of brfvrm cakes before I posted anything in this forum. But I must be using the wrong seach engine because the one that I am using on the right hand side below all of the liks never, I repeat never answered a single question of mine. I realy like psyconaught's idea about a mushroom faq I would certainly use this page before posting a question.

Anonymous

#73272 - 04/25/00 07:01 PM (23 years, 10 months ago)

it hardly does work.. i am a newbie I have maid about 17 posts.. They really do ask the same questions a lot AND SO DO I BUT HEY MAN WE JUST WANNA KNOW GOTTA LEARN SOMEWHERE, AND AS FOR ME YOU GUYS HAVE BEEN A GOOD HELP, AND PRATICALLY WALKED ME THROUGHEVERYTHING BUT I HAFTA KEEP POSTIN BECAUSE SOMTHINGS (THE THINGS i ASK) ARE IMPORTANT TO ASK. bECAUSE I NEED TO KNOW THESE THINGS. THANKS

Anonymous

#73273 - 04/25/00 07:31 PM (23 years, 10 months ago)

i must say that the search feature is nice, but doesn't always take you where you want to go, even if the same question has been asked a million times. also, things are always being improved and rethought, and the old info isn't always the best. thanks for the tip though lares. i'll be sure to do a search before posting from now on.

------------------
"I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints."

Offlinelares
    #73274 - 04/25/00 11:15 PM (23 years, 10 months ago)

I don't think it's anyone's job here to teach someone how to use a search engine to actually find the information you need. I also might point people to the find or grow them section, as well as many other places newbie questions can be asked.

Lemme just point out that I have nothing against newbie posts per se. Sometimes it's the new grower that comes up with the interesting questions. But, like I said before, it's tiresome to wade through literally page after page of questions that have been answered before, or are answered in a tek.

The point is, think before you post. Otherwise you waste *everyone's* bandwidth when they spend time downloading and then trying to find the few good, informative posts in the mass of same-old same-old.

--------------------

Anonymous

#73275 - 04/26/00 04:23 PM (23 years, 10 months ago)

This anger in here is stupid.

The best solution is to just look to see if someone has posted the same topic you want to ask. Most of the time its right there. If not post.

What ever happened to the student teacher mutual respect?

I'm guilty as charged of asking the same question that was on a page, but hey fuck it man.

As for lares, you should be more sympathetic and chill out.

Anonymous

#73276 - 04/26/00 11:41 PM (23 years, 10 months ago)

SHIT!!!
sO THAT'S HOW THE OLD ONES feel about us!!!!
Damn!!!
First I'd like to say as a newbie to the computer age where at a click I can comunicate with someone in seconds and new to the shroom growing thing!!!
I must say this ... I don't know where any of you are from (i know if i wanted to find out I finally know how to use the search engine to learn how to do that and I've been posting for about a month now.) I live in a major city and the only people I know who shroom are no longer in my life as a matter of fact its been over 2 years since my last trip. I've been wanting to trip but don't know where to cop so I decided a year ago that I would do what I had to do to grow my own stash. It took me 7 months to mentally say the hell with it (many of my friends are in jail)over the last 6 months I've been reading what I could get my hands on (high times mag., shroom cultivator, and magic mushrooms growers guide (the old one from the 70's) I was even stupid enough to buy a kit from mushroom magic. ONe day about 2 months ago I came to this site and it truly is a god-send. Its great to know that after a day of hard work I can come to a site with people who have an intrest in what you are doing lets face it how often to you see something as special as this site and when i think about it i came upon it on accident
ONE thing that I have noticed through out this site and the books that I've read is that just like life very one has an opinon on what you should do.
I do agree about using the search engine first but if you see some one with a repeat ? then what is so bad about telling someone about how good the search engine is I've tried it and felt ashamed of myself for some of the foolish ? I've asked when I first logged on. I hope to have over a thousand post someday but until then I hope you don't mind if I ask a foolish question from time to time I'm counting on you guys to help me grow this wonderful fungus so that I can pass it on as well.
But most importantly FELLOW NEWBIE FRIENDS PLEASE USE THE SEARCH FIRST BEFORE POSTING.
AND "HEY SENIORS...DON'T JUST SLAM US KEEP IN MIND WHEN EVEN THOUGH YOU WERE READING AND LEARNING ABOUT GROWING KEEP IN MIND ALL THE QUESTIONS YOU HAD...REMEMBERED HOW MUCH IT SUCKED WHEN NO ONE REPLIED TO YOUR FIRST POSTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
ALL-IN-ALL THIS SITE RULES!!!!!

------------------
"You can lead a horticulture...but you can't make her think"

Dorothy Parker

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

Loc: mycotopia.net
    #73277 - 04/27/00 08:33 AM (23 years, 10 months ago)

as some may know, i'm a big fan of using the search engine to research past topics
but from experience i know that can be very time consuming,
wading through 200 posts on casing birdseed, etc. to find the desired info.
sometimes people need a quick answer
or simply lack the online time to research the topic, what with having a life and all.
so i think it is ok if a newbie asks a question i've seen before. hell, after posting reading ADM for the last couple years i've lost count of how many times i've explained perlite or pinning, etc.
but to all you newbies, if you can't get your question answered here, come over to drooldonkey.org and we'll be glad to help out.
peace
hip

------------------
Visit http://www.drooldonkey.org Global Psychedelic Community, Forums & Chat, Teks & Tips.

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

Anonymous

#73278 - 04/27/00 11:56 AM (23 years, 10 months ago)

I for one appreciated this post. As a newbie
to at least the message boards if not The Shroomery, I have found lares' post helpful, although a little rude :smile: I can imagine the frustration that the more experienced shroomerites feel when they keep seeing the same questions asked over and over again. Heck, I might even be guilty of asking one of those myself on occasion.

InvisibleLuciferX
ape

#73279 - 04/27/00 12:53 PM (23 years, 10 months ago)

Hmmm. I am glad to see this topic come back. I grew shrooms for almost 1.5 years and i consider myself experienced. i grew 6 strains out in one year and only failed on one batch, and that was a new species.

The Search function helped me immensely when i first started out.I only had to ask a few questions that i couldnt find aswers to in the teks. Then again, I read every tek twice before I even attempted growing. When I finally had my tek down and i wasnt getting contamination any more, i began answering "newbie" questions.
In fact, I would say that 90% of my posts have been here in the cult board. answering questions. Within 3 months of doing this i had 4-6 people a week e-mailing me questions. This i do not mind at all. i can get back to a person via e-mail rather quckly. and i feel like im realy helping.

Over the last 3 months i have almost given up on the BB. the same questions over and over have made me a bit tired of it all.

All i ask is, if you are new at growing, and you have a question. THINK. Is it likey that this question has come up before? Then search for it. If you then cant find the answer in the search results or the growing teks... then post. This will save valuable bandwith and I will get back on here and answer some well thought out questions.

Don't get me wrong. i love this place and i would really like to answer all the questions, but its hard when you answer one and the same question pops up the next day or week, with a differnt subject line.

Thank you

------------------
-LuciferX-

"What if this world is another worlds hell?"
-Aldous Huxley

--------------------
----------------------------------------------------------
Once in awhile you can get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals