Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Join The Army As a 68W Medic(Haters Welcome)
    #12031298 -

Good evening shroomerites. It is on this day after Valentines day that I seek opinion and/or validation for what I am about to do.

I am a 23 year old Kansan who has been going to college his whole adult life, and recently as such been attending Nursing school to complete my BSN(bachelor of science in Nursing). I tend to think that outside of my schooling/proffessional career, that I am a pretty fun dude that likes to get down on a bleezy several times a week, who also happens to be a "mycologist", hehe(my first batch of babies are coming along nicely!) Here is where things get muddy for myself.

At midway through my junior year, I encountered a class we called "Med Surg" or Medical surgical nursing. It is a 6 credit hour course, that is taken concurrently with 20 hours of clinicals a week, in addition to other classes I am taking. Long story short, I missed the C by obtaining a 69% in the class. If things couldn't get any worse, my girlfriend and I(who also is a graduate nurse) of 2 years broke up.

As you can see, things haven't been going well for me lately, and I have spiralled down into a mild depression as of late. With being held back a year from graduation, and taking BS classes on campus I have no desire in, I have felt like my life has lacked direction.

Incomming revelation: I recently watched "The Hurt Locker". Scratch that, I watched it 5 consecutive nights to fantastic bong ripped, and I began to feel a tug at my heart. My first and foremost goal in life has always been to help sick and injured people. I began to question my recreational drug use, my carefree life style, my 42 inch TV, XBOX, chuckie cheese(ok not really). Basically I could sum up my entire life and realize I have never done anything great, and probably won't on the pace I am going. So I decided to visit my local recruiter.

After our session,and taking the pre-ASVAB(I got an 85!) I told him I need to sit on this. So I have been for 3 weeks, and my meeting with him is this Tuesday to get the process in motion. I don't particularly see this as an opportunity to "go shoot people, and get killed in the process" type of thing. Aiding my fellow soldiers, other civilians, and possibly even the enemy, are things many would consider doing god's work. I expect all angles to come at me, but I would never post a subject like this if I did not respect everyone's opinion on this board. If things work out, I really enjoyed my extemely short time of being registered on here, and wish the best for everyone!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Join The Army As a 68W Medic(Haters Welcome) [Re: sonavapreacha]
    #12031320 -

do it

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Join The Army As a 68W Medic(Haters Welcome) [Re: sonavapreacha]
    #12031326 -

Personally I believe the United States military can help you achieve allot of goals and help you get to where you personally want to be in life, but then again, anyone can do anything if you put your mind to it.


--------------------
Race/Strain Varieties

Want/Trade List

Vendor List

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind"    -Gandhi

“I, as a responsible adult human being, will never concede the power to anyone to regulate my choice of what I put into my body, or where I go with my mind. From the skin inwards is my jurisdiction, is it not? I choose what may or may not cross that border. Here I am the customs agent. I am the coastguard. I am the sole legal and spiritual government of this territory, and only the laws I choose to enact within myself are applicable” - Alexander Shulgin

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Join The Army As a 68W Medic(Haters Welcome) [Re: LivioDoubleFang]
    #12031439 -

I find it strangely comforting to know that people I have never met are all giving me good vibes with this decision. I am very appreciative, but will also gladly take into consideration an constructive criticism, since I believe this is what has helped to make any formal decision. Besides, what a boring ass world this would be if we all agreed.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Join The Army As a 68W Medic(Haters Welcome) [Re: sonavapreacha]
    #12031549 -

Just know that when you sign that contract, you better give your soul to Jesus, cuz your ass belongs to the Core.


--------------------
Race/Strain Varieties

Want/Trade List

Vendor List

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind"    -Gandhi

“I, as a responsible adult human being, will never concede the power to anyone to regulate my choice of what I put into my body, or where I go with my mind. From the skin inwards is my jurisdiction, is it not? I choose what may or may not cross that border. Here I am the customs agent. I am the coastguard. I am the sole legal and spiritual government of this territory, and only the laws I choose to enact within myself are applicable” - Alexander Shulgin

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Join The Army As a 68W Medic(Haters Welcome) [Re: sonavapreacha]
    #12032351 -

If you join the military you support their policies by that action. If you agree with what the military does and how they do it then why not join? Don't pretend you're being a humanitarian however.:monkeydance: Everybody's got to serve some master. But don't bitch later if they screw you cause I'll just laugh.:satansmoking:


--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Join The Army As a 68W Medic(Haters Welcome) [Re: sonavapreacha]
    #12033019 -

If you really want to help civilians, you could finish your schooling and try to get work with the Red Cross or a similar humanitarian group.

I won't judge you for your decision, but just be aware of what you're getting yourself into and don't kid yourself about what you will actually be doing.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Join The Army As a 68W Medic(Haters Welcome) [Re: Redstorm]
    #12033201 -

If you're looking to help people there are a few other things you could do that would give you a better shot at it.

Peace Corps? That way at least you'd have the incentive to finish school. The service will fill the gap in your life and make sure that you're never at a loss for things to do, but you should finish school first. When you come back you'll want that degree.


--------------------
I don't use jelly.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Join The Army As a 68W Medic(Haters Welcome) [Re: sonavapreacha]
    #12033253 -

I can understand your frustration at not passing Med Surg, but you will be able to pass it the 2nd time.  If your girlfriend broke up with you because you are not going to graduate on track, it never would have worked out in the long term.

I do think think it is a good idea to join the military because of a setback in college.  You might not have done anything "great" because you are still young.  When you get to be in your forties, that is when you realize that the simple things you do to help others is what life is about.  Not medals, honors, awards, degrees, etc. that come from institutions.  The people employed in the institutions and corporations want people to believe that greatness can only be achieved through them.  And sadly most people are brainwashed to believe that as well.

I woulde advise against joining the military becuase that does not seem to be what you really want to do.  My nephew joined the army, now he's in Iraq and he wishes he never would have joined even though it's been his goal since high school.  Finish college.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Religon haters: evolving or devolving?
( 1 2 all )
whiterastahippie 4,320 29 07/23/02 05:02 PM
by whiterastahippie
* the army
( 1 2 3 all )
stefan 2,525 45 01/10/05 09:10 AM
by redgreenvines
* FOR THE HATERS AND ALL WHO ARE TRUE MANNALORD 2,507 14 08/16/01 07:26 PM
by MANNALORD
* Medical Marijuana Vending Machines in LA........ PhanTomCat 1,237 14 02/02/08 02:14 PM
by TODAY
* discipline from the army question_for_joo 882 5 07/22/04 07:47 AM
by Scarfmeister
* medical conspiracy???
( 1 2 all )
spudamore 2,386 24 08/12/04 05:53 PM
by Strumpling
* Agnostic Medical Center Swami 554 3 08/05/03 02:23 PM
by Sclorch
* who will join me?
( 1 2 3 all )
OldWoodSpecter 2,508 43 03/31/05 09:36 PM
by Swami

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Middleman, DividedQuantum
1,787 topic views. 0 members, 2 guests and 40 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.028 seconds spending 0.008 seconds on 16 queries.