Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflinePhanTomCat
Teh Cat....
Male User Gallery

Loc: My Youniverse....
Medical Marijuana Vending Machines in LA........
    #7957587 - 01/30/08 08:07 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

First thing I thought, "HELL YEAH"....!
It sounds pretty simple, I need my medication....!

So, would it also be "right" to do away with pharmacies all together, and just set up medication vending machines.....?  :shrug:
Do you think these ideas practiced would cause general good or general harm to society....?

I don't think this will fly, at least not today....
Soon, perhaps....  Hopeful, yes....    :grin:
California always seems to get the "new" stuff first....  :mad:

>^;;^<

MSNBC Actual Article Link

Full article:

Pot vending machines take root in Los Angeles
Machines distribute the drug to people with cards authorizing use

LOS ANGELES - The city that popularized the fast food drive-thru has a new innovation: 24-hour medical marijuana vending machines.

Patients suffering from chronic pain, loss of appetite and other ailments that marijuana is said to alleviate can get their pot with a dose of convenience at the Herbal Nutrition Center, where a large machine will dole out the drug around the clock.

"Convenient access, lower prices, safety, anonymity," inventor and owner Vincent Mehdizadeh said, extolling the benefits of the machine.

But federal drug agents say the invention may need unplugging.

"Somebody owns (it), it's on a property and somebody fills it," said DEA Special Agent Jose Martinez. "Once we find out where it's at, we'll look into it and see if they're violating laws."

At least three dispensaries in the city, including two belonging to Mehdizadeh, have installed vending machines to distribute the drug to people who carry cards authorizing marijuana use.

Mehdizadeh said he spent seven months to develop and patent the black, armored box, which he calls the "PVM," or prescription vending machine.

Convenience and privacy
A sliding fence protects the tinted windows of his dispensary, barely distinguishing it from a busy thoroughfare of strip malls, automobile dealers and furniture shops. A box resembling a large refrigerator stands inside the nearly empty shop, near a few shelves stocked with vitamins and herbs.

A guard in a black T-shirt emblazoned with the word "Security" on the front stands at the door. A poster of Bob Marley decorates a back room.

The computerized machine requires fingerprint identification and a prepaid card with a magnetic stripe. Once the card and fingerprint are verified, a bright green envelope with the pot drops down a slot.

Mehdizadeh says any user approved for medical marijuana and registered in a computer database at his dispensaries can pre-purchase the drug and then use the machine to pick up.

The process provides convenience and privacy for users who may otherwise feel uncomfortable about buying marijuana, Mehdizadeh said.

At the Timothy Leary Medical Dispensary in the San Fernando Valley, the vending machine is accessible only during business hours. An employee there said the machine was introduced about five months ago, and provides speedy service.

"It helps a lot of patients who are in a lot of pain and don't want to wait around to get help," Robert Schwartz said. "It's been working out great."

Mehdizadeh said he sought the advice of doctors, and decided to limit the amount of marijuana per user to an ounce per week. Each purchase from the machine yields 1/8th or 2/8th of an ounce. By eliminating a vendor behind the counter, he said, the machine offers users lower drug prices. The 1/8th ounce packet would cost about $40 — $20 lower than the average price at other dispensaries.

'It's to medicate'
A spokesman for a marijuana advocacy group said the machine also benefits dispensary owners.

"It limits the number of workers in the store in the event of a raid, and it'll make it harder for theft," said Nathan Sands, of The Compassionate Coalition.

Marijuana use is illegal under federal law, which does not recognize the medical marijuana laws in California and 11 other states.

The Drug Enforcement Agency and other federal agencies have been actively shutting down major medical marijuana dispensaries throughout the state over the last two years and charging their operators with felony distribution charges.

Mehdizadeh said the Herbal Nutrition Center was the target of a federal raid in December. He said no arrests were made and no charges have been filed against him.

Kris Hermes, a spokesman for advocacy group Americans for Safe Access, said the machine might benefit those who already know how much and what strain of marijuana they're looking for. But he said others will want to see and smell the drug before they buy it.

A man who said he has been authorized to use medical marijuana as part of his anger management therapy said the vending machine's security measures would at least protect against illicit use of the drug.

"You have kids that want to get high and that's not what marijuana is for," Robert Miko said. "It's to medicate."

--------------------
I'll be your midnight French Fry....  :naughty:

"The most important things in life that are often ignored, are the things that one cannot see...."

>^;;^<

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineNiamhNyx
I'm NOT a 'he'
Female User Gallery

Re: Medical Marijuana Vending Machines in LA........ [Re: PhanTomCat]
    #7957947 - 01/30/08 09:25 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

I find it kind of depressing.

Offlinesmily
lookin 4 my ass wit both handz
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Lee HO FooKs
Re: Medical Marijuana Vending Machines in LA........ [Re: NiamhNyx]
    #7957986 - 01/30/08 09:33 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

here are the first attempt in the 70's at it a tampon vending mach. found it on craigs list.

--------------------

CrAnKy PiLlOwS YeAh PiLlOwS

Offlinesmily
lookin 4 my ass wit both handz
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Lee HO FooKs
Re: Medical Marijuana Vending Machines in LA........ [Re: smily]
    #7958004 - 01/30/08 09:37 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

No I was living on Stanyon in the City from 1963 through 1972. California was going to legalized the weed during 1969 through 1971. Not exactly sure of the year. 100 machines were produced and 3 to 5 were already installed. All the machines in storage were destroyed. One was in a local bar. The morning the law was not approved I went to the bar and purchased the machine. After that I tried to go to the cigarette manufacture to purchase all the empty packages and documentation. Adverting signs etc. It had already been removed along with all the prepackaged weed. The machine is a condom machine and was going to be modified in the inside to dispense the packages.
If you want to see it in person give me a call at

Thanks

Bob

just found the story that goes with it here ya go and oops i said tampon condom sorry

--------------------

CrAnKy PiLlOwS YeAh PiLlOwS

InvisibleMiddlemanM

Re: Medical Marijuana Vending Machines in LA........ [Re: smily]
    #7958557 - 01/30/08 11:32 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Wow awesome collectable. :thumbup:

Quote:

PhanTomCat said:

The computerized machine requires fingerprint identification...

Fuck that. Not cause I'm paranoid, just on principle.

I worked at a cannabis club in CA for kicks and, like Niamh, I found the whole thing depressing.

They have names like "Helping Hands" and "Compassionate Caregivers" while they mark up the price for a 50% profit.
The owners of the clubs drive around in Lexus SUVs while the Cancer patients spend $60 for a short eighth.

Even the F-ed shuts them down every once in a while, confiscates a few hundred grand, and then lets them open right back up.

The whole thing stinks of corruption and $$$.

I quit toking 6 months ago... Shrooms win. :mushroom2:

Invisiblemushbaby
woodswalker
Female User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: in my own lil world
Re: Medical Marijuana Vending Machines in LA........ [Re: Middleman]
    #7959216 - 01/31/08 06:00 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

You know, when you think about mj being legalized you would hope it would bring down the cost.  Doesn't it make sense that  something on the black market would cost more than what you can purchase legally? 

Next thing you know they'll be introducing additives to enhance and they'll be more like cigs than pot.  :frown:

--------------------

OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Loc: I re·side [primarily] in...
    #7959344 - 01/31/08 07:50 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Nice!

I wonder how long it will take before someone steals one. :p

OfflineBoots
Disenchanted
Male

Loc: Northwood, Ohio, U.S.A.
Re: Medical Marijuana Vending Machines in LA........ [Re: Gomp]
    #7959752 - 01/31/08 10:49 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

I don't think it's a good idea to do this. I like marijuana being illegal. As much as I like to smoke weed, I think there's more pros than cons then there would be if it was made legal.

OfflineLion
Decadent Flower Magnate
Male User Gallery

Re: Medical Marijuana Vending Machines in LA........ [Re: NiamhNyx]
    #7959989 - 01/31/08 12:20 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

NiamhNyx said:
I find it kind of depressing.

Why??

--------------------
“Strengthened by contemplation and study,
I will not fear my passions like a coward.
My body I will give to pleasures,
to diversions that I’ve dreamed of,
to the most daring erotic desires,
to the lustful impulses of my blood, without
any fear at all, for whenever I will—
and I will have the will, strengthened
as I’ll be with contemplation and study—
at the crucial moments I’ll recover
my spirit as was before: ascetic.”

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Rabbit Hole
    #7961220 - 01/31/08 05:38 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Do you think these ideas practiced would cause general good or general harm to society....?

As long as they provide a pizza dispensing machine next to the marijuana dispensing machine to take care of the munchies, it's all good. :bigweed:

--------------------
Republican Values:

1) You can't get married to your spouse who is the same sex as you.
2) You can't have an abortion no matter how much you don't want a child.
3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

4) We need a smaller, less-intrusive government.

OfflinePhanTomCat
Teh Cat....
Male User Gallery

Loc: My Youniverse....
Re: Medical Marijuana Vending Machines in LA........ [Re: Diploid]
    #7962291 - 01/31/08 09:40 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

:rofl2:

That is a damn good idea, but it is still funny....!    :lol:

>^;;^<

--------------------
I'll be your midnight French Fry....  :naughty:

"The most important things in life that are often ignored, are the things that one cannot see...."

>^;;^<

Invisiblemanyc
♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫

Loc: Axis Mundi
    #7968017 - 02/02/08 09:53 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

There's no point in BUYING weed from anyone if it's legal.

Order some amazing seeds online from overseas, and grow that shit on your own. It makes it so much more personal... and gratifying.

Why would you still buy weed if it's legal?

God damn man I would set up a crazy little hydroponic system to grow me a few amazing plants every few months.

--------------------

Hemp could Save the World.

"There is no flag that is large enough, to hide the shame of a man in cuffs." -Serj Tankian

:mushroomgrow:Know Thyself.:mushroomgrow:

"If the words 'life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness' don't include the right to experiment with your own consciousness, then the Declaration of Independence isn't worth the hemp it was written on."
-Terence Mckenna

InvisibleMiddlemanM

Re: Medical Marijuana Vending Machines in LA........ [Re: manyc]
    #7968022 - 02/02/08 09:56 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

It's a lot of work to grow grade A cannabis.

The legitimate patients with aids and cancer certainly can't grow their own.

But it really should never cost more than $10 a gram...

Invisiblemanyc
♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫

Loc: Axis Mundi
    #7968030 - 02/02/08 09:57 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

It ain't rocket science, that's for damn sure. It's just gardening.

Either way, if it was legalized, a new capitalistic cannabis industry would certainly arise... whether we liked it or not.

I'd fuckin' get into it, too :laugh:

Open up a "coffe shop" in downtown Memphis, the business would be unbelievable!!

..Then a few years later the big conglomerate pot shop would run me out of town... like the Starbucks of pot shops.. Hahahahaahaha..

--------------------

Hemp could Save the World.

"There is no flag that is large enough, to hide the shame of a man in cuffs." -Serj Tankian

:mushroomgrow:Know Thyself.:mushroomgrow:

"If the words 'life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness' don't include the right to experiment with your own consciousness, then the Declaration of Independence isn't worth the hemp it was written on."
-Terence Mckenna

InvisibleTODAY
Battletoad
Male

Loc: Metropolis City, USA
    #7968930 - 02/02/08 02:14 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Middleman said:
It's a lot of work to grow grade A cannabis.

i disagree

--------------------

ca'rouse (k-rouz)
intr.v.
To engage in boisterous, drunken merrymaking.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds