Home | Community | Message Board

RVF Garden Supply
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Loc: Arizona
Frustration with Philosophy
    #1133380 - 12/11/02 07:42 PM (14 years, 1 day ago)

Let me say first of all that I [i]love[/i] discussing philosophical ideas with other people and thinking about philosophical things myself. However, it's been a long time since I've done a lot of either of these things, and since I've been back to frequenting the Shroomery (especially the S&P forum); I have realized there is also something that I [i]don't[/i] love about these things:

It can just be so [b]frustrating[/b] sometimes!!

Sometimes I when I think about my opinion on a philosophical idea, I will realize that I don't even know what my opinion is! This bothers me that I can't make a decision/come up with a logical conclusion on some things.

It also bothers me when I [i]do[/i] come up with a logical conclusion to a philosophical question, but other people don't think it is logical at all. It's hard for me to accept sometimes that what I think may not be correct, and I just can't understand why others don't see it the same way that I do.

Don't get me wrong, though. Even though it can be frustrating, I still think that discussing and thinking about philosophical ideas is more positive than negative. I guess I just wanted to bitch about how frustrated I've been feeling lately and see if others out there feel the same as I do.

So, do you?

-RebelSteve

P.S. I'm not sure if I used the words 'philosophy' and 'philosophical' in a technically correct manner in this post, but I am sure you all get my point!

-RS

--------------------
Namaste.

Edited by RebelSteve33 (12/11/02 08:05 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Anonymous

Re: Frustration with Philosophy [Re: RebelSteve33]
    #1133461 - 12/11/02 08:06 PM (14 years, 1 day ago)

Philosophy can be very frustrating but if you stick with it will guide you through life as nothing else can. I am going to create a thread about the importance of it in the near future.

Your UBB code did not work. I will have to check into that.

Cheer,

Anonymous

#1133466 - 12/11/02 08:07 PM (14 years, 1 day ago)

test

InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Loc: Arizona
Re: Frustration with Philosophy [Re: ]
    #1133508 - 12/11/02 08:16 PM (14 years, 1 day ago)

Hmm, I was wondering about that too.  It seems to have worked for you, so I guess the UBB code must just be mad at me for overusing it or something!  :crazy:

--------------------
Namaste.

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
    #1133533 - 12/11/02 08:26 PM (14 years, 1 day ago)

I think what happens is somebody mistakes somebody else's words as their strict, stable, supported beliefs, when all they're doing is throwing some thoughts out on the table.

"This bothers me that I can't make a decision/come up with a logical conclusion on some things."

Don't let it bother you!! That's the fun! Now you need to realize that everybody else is in the same boat!!! Nobody knows for sure whats going on, and oftentimes I think speculation is mistaken for observation or fact, and thats where people start arguing..... hey I do the same thing - its like I said we're all in the same kind of situation.

None of us have the EXACT same angles on the range of subjects we discuss here, which makes discussing these topics frustrating because we're all completely different people trying to discuss philosophy or science, which is the most difficult to discuss because its comparing the way each specific person SEES things to the way every OTHER person sees things and then attempting to compress these views into one, and thats certainly not possible a lot of the time, especially if nobody wants to say "well hey man i really don't know... i was just thinking out loud.."

All that, and having crazy people here non-stop makes for some interesting conversations :smile: Just remember - frustration is good for you, because then you get to relax later - ya can't relax if you weren't stressed out  :tongue:

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

Edited by Strumpling (12/11/02 08:28 PM)

OfflineGrav
 User Gallery

Re: Frustration with Philosophy [Re: Strumpling]
    #1133966 - 12/12/02 03:25 AM (14 years, 1 day ago)

Well said, Strumples

I have the hardest time putting my thoughts into words (that make sense anyways). That's why i hardly ever post. Lots of ideas come to me, but I either can't properly convey it to another human, or I forget it by the time I get to a computer... so yea, it gets kinda frustrating. I guess, like everything else, it just takes practice, and getting used to molding your language skills and thoughts into harmony.

yea, as Strumpling said, I think its important to remember these are all just thoughts from other humans... philosophically speaking, there is no 'right' or 'wrong'... You only start to form honest beliefs after you hear many different perspectives...

conclusions are drawn through experience, not through proving a point

OfflineWildLASER
Infinity In AGrain Of Salt

#1133986 - 12/12/02 03:53 AM (14 years, 1 day ago)

It can all get overwhelming sometimes.

It is good to get multiple prespectives and to try and cure all with laughter.

--------------------
,'~Þ

OfflineDavid_Scape
Anti Genius
Male

Loc: U.S. of muthafuckin A.
    #1134662 - 12/12/02 08:34 AM (14 years, 23 hours ago)

"I think what happens is somebody mistakes somebody else's words as their strict, stable, supported beliefs, when all they're doing is throwing some thoughts out on the table."

I do this alot. However, I am often looking for someone that can destroy my supported beliefs as constructively as possible. The more you make it palatable to my ego the easier it is to fight embarrasment.  If there was any place that it would be easiest for me to take constructve criticism, it would be a message board! Not to mention the good people of the shroomery's S&P&S!!! Nobody grows in the shade! lets not smother each other, okay! :grin: :grin:

--------------------
focusing
Flow
The Enneagram

OfflineMurex
Reality Hacker

Loc: Traped in a shell.
    #1134796 - 12/12/02 09:26 AM (14 years, 22 hours ago)

Just keep listening to the mushroom. Let it guide you.

--------------------
What if everything around you
Isn't quite as it seems?
What if all the world you think you know,
Is an elaborate dream?
And if you look at your reflection,
Is it all you want it to be?

InvisibleFreakQlibrium
Son of Uncle Meat
Male User Gallery

Loc: Toronto Canada
    #1134803 - 12/12/02 09:30 AM (14 years, 22 hours ago)

Nobody knows for sure whats going on, and oftentimes I think speculation is mistaken for observation or fact,

i'd agree with that wholeheartedly :smile: 

--------------------
"Being crazier than a shithouse rat is not sufficient grounds for banishment"

Offline3eyedgod
trippinkid

Loc: Far away and very near
    #1134853 - 12/12/02 09:55 AM (14 years, 22 hours ago)

All that, and having crazy people here non-stop makes for some interesting conversations 

We're all a little crazy :grin: 

--------------------
Without everything wouldn't nothing be everything and without nothing wouldn't everything be nothing.I am the beginning and the end,the source and the void, the light and the darkness,i am but a small drop of the ocean yet i am an ocean unto myself

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology