Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Paul Stamets, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineblackout
Microwaver
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Using over cooked rice in layers with normal grain as a reservoir.
    #11271025 - 10/18/09 02:17 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

I will be growing sclerotia soon and remember when I grew on rice before the grains were all bone dry at harvest time. Sclerotia is said to form well on rye grass seed, and one disadvantage of RGS (besides price!) is that it easily dries out. One advantage is that it does not explode in a PC. I had considered filling a PC with RGS & water and sterilizing it, not in jars. I figure this should sterilize pretty quick since the grain is right in the water with excess water, no time is needed to penetrate deep into jars. I would also PC whole grain rice in the PC, perhaps just steaming it, again it should be sterilie pretty quick.

Now you can squeeze out the excess water in the RGS by hand. I was then thinking of putting layers in large jars, a layer of rice, then RGS, in many layers. This would then be steamed or microwaved to resterilize it. Since the endospores were knocked out in the PC you could get away with just steaming or possibly microwaving. I theorize that the RGS will stay at a good moisture level. I could microwave it to drive off more moisture and then add an excess of LC so the jars do not need shaking at all. I have done this drying of grains in the past with great success.

I am also thinking it could be useful for regular cubensis grows, sterilize the grain in normal jars, overcook the rice and put it in a layer on the base of a container, then put the loose grain on top and resterilize the tray. I expect the rice will stay in a big clump and the grains will still be shakeable. But again if they are dried out you can add lots of LC so there is no need for shaking.

I had the plan to colonise in the fruiting container years ago but had contamination issues. I plan on trying again with spores/myc I know will be clean. By adding lots of LC it colonised very quickly, and by being in the fruiting tray there is no need to EVER shake the grains. I think this could result in a stronger myc colony. The lid can be taken off and it can be cased straight away. I expect the top to be colonised and the wet rice underneath will not be colonised but should be protected by the grains above. As growth continues the grains will absorb water from the rice and it should reach a moisture level where the rice will colonise and at least give nutrients to the myc above it. Verm just takes up space with no nutritional benefit, but some verm might be needed to keep the rice a bit airy to allow myc grow through it. RGS is quite airy and could be mixed with rice on the lower layer.

These are the containers I am thinking of

--------------------
support the free spore ring http://fsre.nl/

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleSlimz
.-~*´`*·~-experience-~*´`*·~-.
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Maryland
Re: Using over cooked rice in layers with normal grain as a reservoir. [Re: blackout]
    #11271033 - 10/18/09 02:18 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

test it, if it works, write a tek..

why not just mix it instead of layer?

--------------------
Lazy Drywall Tek (no powdery mess)

This series will blow your mind and confirm what you already know to be true.
The Pharmacratic Inquisition
Best Thread Ever ! ! !

:pm: me if you have questions about lasers

Although i may advise others in a general way regarding all types of mushroom grows, and may even post question from other forums about growing "active" mushrooms, i only grow non-"active" mushrooms and edibles.

FeelFamily resident tech guru

Offlineblackout
Microwaver
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Using over cooked rice in layers with normal grain as a reservoir. [Re: Slimz]
    #11271110 - 10/18/09 02:34 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Slimz said:
why not just mix it instead of layer?

Yes, the mix might be better for the sclerotia. I do not expect the rice to colonise at first being so wet, so for the regular cube grow I wanted the rice at the bottom to be protected by the covering of colonised grains above it. The RGS should stay nice and airy and I pictured the myc growing through it easily, getting moisture from layers of rice above & below.

--------------------

Invisiblewygram
Myconaut

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Using over cooked rice in layers with normal grain as a reservoir. [Re: blackout]
    #11271249 - 10/18/09 03:06 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Overly wet grains are prone to wet spot bacteria and a large clump of wet rice sounds like a terrible substrate. I've also read that wet grains produce sclerotia poorly.

If your grains are drying out too fast, make smaller or fewer holes in the lids. Though I imagine after 3-6 months most grains will be pretty dry.

--------------------
Changing your mind is one of the best ways of finding out whether or not you still have one.

Offlineblackout
Microwaver
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Using over cooked rice in layers with normal grain as a reservoir. [Re: wygram]
    #11271731 - 10/18/09 04:44 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

wygram said:
Overly wet grains are prone to wet spot bacteria and a large clump of wet rice sounds like a terrible substrate. I've also read that wet grains produce sclerotia poorly

If you had 200ml water to 100g grain it would be very wet, but rice holds moisture very well, so I do not think it would be as prone to wet spot as rye might. It is not intended as a substrate at the start, just a reservoir, but as the moisture is drawn out it should eventually be at an optimum moisture level and then colonise. So sclerotia would be developing on the RGS at first and then spread.

Quote:

wygram said:If your grains are drying out too fast, make smaller or fewer holes in the lids. Though I imagine after 3-6 months most grains will be pretty dry.

I grew them in filterpatch bags and the filter was not very permeable. I think the myc just uses up the moisture, you could always inject sterile water but I do not like doing that (I have in the past though).

--------------------

InvisibleSlimz
.-~*´`*·~-experience-~*´`*·~-.
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Maryland
    #11271753 - 10/18/09 04:48 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

you WANT the MYC to use up the water.. thats when they start forming stones..

--------------------
Lazy Drywall Tek (no powdery mess)

This series will blow your mind and confirm what you already know to be true.
The Pharmacratic Inquisition
Best Thread Ever ! ! !

:pm: me if you have questions about lasers

Although i may advise others in a general way regarding all types of mushroom grows, and may even post question from other forums about growing "active" mushrooms, i only grow non-"active" mushrooms and edibles.

FeelFamily resident tech guru

Offlineblackout
Microwaver
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Using over cooked rice in layers with normal grain as a reservoir. [Re: Slimz]
    #11277517 - 10/19/09 03:42 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Slimz said:
you WANT the MYC to use up the water.. thats when they start forming stones..

Thing is when I harvested from rice before the grains were shrivelled and I think if they were remoistened the myc might have grown on them again. Sort of similar to dunking grains growing cubensis, you can rehydrate grains and get another good flush, but I do not like the idea of dunking a sclerotia grow. I would prefer all the water to somehow be there from the start.

The 9er tek calls for 2lb of rice and 6.5cups of water, this is 1.7ml of water to 1g of rice. This is not even overcooked, yet is far more water than I have ever seen called for in any grain. On sporeworks they call for 0.8ml water to 1g millet and 1.1ml water to 1g rye grain, and 1ml water to 1g RGS. In TMC I calculated that Stamets recommended an average of 0.8ml per 1g of rye. The thread is here http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/7236041#7236041
RogerRabbit posted in that thread and reckoned his grain ended up 40% moisture which is even lower again.

--------------------

Edited by blackout (10/19/09 05:53 PM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Paul Stamets, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation