Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleHerbal_Elixer
Strangerest
 User Gallery

Loc: Reykjavik
Re: Is condensation an indicator of high rh? Is my face a hygrometer? [Re: anonjon]
    #11206812 - 10/08/09 10:18 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

anonjon said:
Quote:

Doc_T said: Humidity a few millimeters from the surface can be much less, and it says nothing about the tub as a whole.

The greater the temperature differential, the more this is true. With very small differentials, I would expect this gap to be much much larger than a few millimeters.

Well, again to that point, and applying it to our situations (using tubs).. that effect can be seen in many grows where the center of the substrate is producing much less than the outer edges.. also shown in side pinning and bottom pinning of cakes on perlite.. where humidity is more favorable.. then you can see the reverse where humidity is right on throughout the FC's and huge bulks are found throughout. I am not saying these effects can be negated by use of a hygrometer either.. it would depend where you are taking the measurement, but it does show how the difference can occur in our situation (which is all that matters here).. and if you agree to that, then you must agree that the sides can condensate, but there is a different story within the bulk of the tub.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleanonjon
Partially Right

Re: Is condensation an indicator of high rh? Is my face a hygrometer? [Re: Infea]
    #11206854 - 10/08/09 10:26 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Infea said: Sometimes even I feel in my gut that condensation = high humidity,

straw target

--------------------
The above post is fictional, hypothetical, or downright nonsensical.

:moon:  :moon:  :moon:  :moon:    :moon:

Invisiblecyb3rtr0n
searching for truth
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Is condensation an indicator of high rh? Is my face a hygrometer? [Re: anonjon]
    #11206872 - 10/08/09 10:28 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

:facepalm:

--------------------
LAGM v.2.024 Grow log

InvisibleHerbal_Elixer
Strangerest
 User Gallery

Re: Is condensation an indicator of high rh? Is my face a hygrometer? [Re: Herbal_Elixer]
    #11206900 - 10/08/09 10:33 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

There is also a paper I saw yesterday that shows condensation in itself, while being the result of 100-105% humidity, has significantly removed moisture from the surrounding air... which is another thing to consider.

If you add the effect of even what you state "very small differentials" away from the condensing surface (which is also shown in morning fog, it only goes so high), then you add this new effect, you are beginning to involve a lot of factors that can conclude various results.. again depending on environment size, temperature, and temperature fluctuation throughout the environments atmosphere... I think you are arguing that there are differentials.. but they are minimal and that a condensing surface is at 100-105% rh, and since we are talking about a limited size environment that the amount of change cannot be that great into the FC itself.. correct? I see that point/idea.. but again, multiple grows on here have shown even in these micro environments that their are differentials occurring, and I think that by using the outer condensing surface as a sole indicator is just too far out from the concentration of that environment.

--------------------

Invisiblecyb3rtr0n
searching for truth
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #11206937 - 10/08/09 10:40 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

alot of these theories would probably be plausible IF we all grew in climate controlled labs.

--------------------
LAGM v.2.024 Grow log

InvisibleHerbal_Elixer
Strangerest
 User Gallery

Re: Is condensation an indicator of high rh? Is my face a hygrometer? [Re: cyb3rtr0n]
    #11206952 - 10/08/09 10:43 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

true

--------------------

Invisible13shroomsM
Lightning Shaman
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: IN ETHERS TORSION FIELD
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Is condensation an indicator of high rh? Is my face a hygrometer? [Re: Herbal_Elixer]
    #11207593 - 10/08/09 12:31 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I think condensation (besides the actual definition) in a tub means  it hit dew point and hasnt evaporated the water off the walls yet.:shrug:

--------------------
:takingnotes:A M U:helpdesk:
Click here ^ for the AMU forum
VVV AMUs Free Active/Edible/Exotic Spore Print or Syringe or Edible Culture Trade Thread VVV
"Man is the sex organ of the machine world" ~  Marshall McLuhan

Edited by 13shrooms (10/08/09 12:58 PM)

Offlineeisenhower
Stranger
Re: Is condensation an indicator of high rh? Is my face a hygrometer? [Re: 13shrooms]
    #11207636 - 10/08/09 12:40 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

read a science book

Invisible13shroomsM
Lightning Shaman
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: IN ETHERS TORSION FIELD
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Is condensation an indicator of high rh? Is my face a hygrometer? [Re: eisenhower]
    #11207741 - 10/08/09 12:57 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Im currently reading a quantum physics book right now called "Spontaneous Evolution".  great book!:stoned:

link is in my sig if you want to read a good book.:thumbup:

--------------------
:takingnotes:A M U:helpdesk:
Click here ^ for the AMU forum
VVV AMUs Free Active/Edible/Exotic Spore Print or Syringe or Edible Culture Trade Thread VVV
"Man is the sex organ of the machine world" ~  Marshall McLuhan

Offlinecne9999
Stranger Danger
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The Sol system
Re: Is condensation an indicator of high rh? Is my face a hygrometer? [Re: 13shrooms]
    #11236500 - 10/12/09 10:09 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Have you ever seen a good chef use a measuring spoon or cup? 

Geese!  What is so difficult to understand!  You don't need perfect RH, only ball-park RH, give or take 10%.  If you can nail that you are fine.

If you know your environment (Temp, humidity, and pressure ((offset from sea-level)) you can feel and SEE RH close enough to grow a damn shroom.  I’ve been doing it for nearly two years.  I only use a gauge when experimenting.  Sure, it’s not as perfect as a hygrometer but close enough to grow mushrooms.  This is not brain surgery.  It's pretty damn easy actually.

So yes, for the sake of mushrooms, if you are half way attentive to your environment it is a no brainer.  Your face can be a hygrometer; a pretty damn good one.  It's that easy!

:foreheadslap:

--------------------
  Say hello to my little friend.    and...      From Sonny

AFOAF's Coffee Experiment  //  Rye Berry Cakes  //  My FOAF  //  I killed my baby Cubes!
Get a freaking camera!  //  Roscoe 'Fatty' Arbuckle  //  I love P.c.Burma!

Invisibletruskool
WTF?? FTW!!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Over the rainbow
Re: Is condensation an indicator of high rh? Is my face a hygrometer? [Re: cloudsaregathering]
    #11236700 - 10/12/09 10:41 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

cloudsaregathering said:
you know what who gives a fuck I have never used a thing-a-maggiger and my shit does mighty fine so bleh...

:thumbup:
My thoughts exactly

--------------------
Ask  AMU    for    the  best    mycology    advice  out  there

Roll it :burnone:While I troll it.  :maximumtrolling:

I don't mean to boast, but dam if I don't brag.

OfflineIngrimus
Wakka Wakka Dune

Re: Is condensation an indicator of high rh? Is my face a hygrometer? [Re: cne9999]
    #11242170 - 10/13/09 08:12 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

cne9999 said:
Have you ever seen a good chef use a measuring spoon or cup? 

Geese!  What is so difficult to understand!  You don't need perfect RH, only ball-park RH, give or take 10%.  If you can nail that you are fine.

If you know your environment (Temp, humidity, and pressure ((offset from sea-level)) you can feel and SEE RH close enough to grow a damn shroom.  I�ve been doing it for nearly two years.  I only use a gauge when experimenting.  Sure, it�s not as perfect as a hygrometer but close enough to grow mushrooms.  This is not brain surgery.  It's pretty damn easy actually.

So yes, for the sake of mushrooms, if you are half way attentive to your environment it is a no brainer.  Your face can be a hygrometer; a pretty damn good one.  It's that easy!

:foreheadslap:

I'm a red seal chef, and one who's worked in alot of good restraunts; and I use measuring devices for weight, volume, temp, starch content, water content, etc.
It's what makes me a PROFESSIONAL, versus a line cook thinking he can cook a Kobe beef wellington with nothing more then the power of his awesomeness and his farts alight. (Oh of course I can whip one together just fine, but if I want it the exact same every time for every service then you measure)

Yea, it GENERALLY doesn't matter, but in this case it does, as that's what we're trying to determine.
Mushrooms can be grown in a mason jar with no reading of temp, humidity, or anything else.
You can fuck up the BRF/verm ratio, and they'll still grow.
Hell, you can keep a contam cake, and still get a shroom off it.
Doesn't make it more professional just cause you're managing to mickey mouse your way around the problem.
But you over lime, or add WAY too much/little water, and you're boned.

Try making a meringue with some oil in the bowl, see how that works for you. (for those who don't know, less then a single drop of oil collapses a whole meringue)

Or cooking sugar till the sides start to crackle, you think you hit the right ball stage and then pour it out, but alas it's just a TOUCH too cool, unless you've been growing for some time you won't know.

RR and Agar are some of the only faces I would trust to be my hygrometer, and you know why? cause they'd probably have calibrated analog hygrometers in their pockets just in case =P (well...maybe not agar, he may wing it cause he's awesome, but RR would <3)

Some things DO matter enough to be precise about it.

--------------------
"Don't attempt to stifle his experimentation because you have a hardon for me." -RogerRabbit

LEARN TENACITY - HAVE PATIENCE.
WITHOUT IT - YOU WILL NOT SUCCEED AT THIS HOBBY.
-Agar

THIS SHIT IS MAGICAL TRIPSTALMETH STOP JUDGEMENTING ON MY HABITS

Edited by Ingrimus (10/13/09 08:18 PM)

OfflineIngrimus
Wakka Wakka Dune

Re: Is condensation an indicator of high rh? Is my face a hygrometer? [Re: Ingrimus]
    #11242211 - 10/13/09 08:17 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

even if they only matter because we're making them matter in this exact thread (personally I just wing it 90% of the time) cause I'm not worried about having the perfect shrooms every single time.

--------------------
"Don't attempt to stifle his experimentation because you have a hardon for me." -RogerRabbit

-Agar

Invisibleratdog
wild capture trader
Male User Gallery

Loc: Colorado mount. top
Re: Is condensation an indicator of high rh? Is my face a hygrometer? [Re: Ingrimus]
    #11242213 - 10/13/09 08:17 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

i agree and i have come up with a way

check it out
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/11241796

--------------------
some people just don't get it:spank:
so here is a video or two or three for you guys:rolleyes:

OfflineIngrimus
Wakka Wakka Dune

Re: Is condensation an indicator of high rh? Is my face a hygrometer? [Re: ratdog]
    #11242251 - 10/13/09 08:22 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

ratdog said:
i agree and i have come up with a way

check it out

Lotta work, still pretty freakin cool man, props.

--------------------

-Agar

Offlinebill1102inf
WW
Male

Loc: Southern Mexico
    #12065992 - 02/20/10 03:12 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

bump bump

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dark side of the moon
Re: Is condensation an indicator of high rh? Is my face a hygrometer? [Re: bill1102inf]
    #12066530 - 02/20/10 04:42 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

You guys need to quit arguing this point.  It's already been beat to death way too many times.

Condensation is in fact an excellent indicator of humidity if you know the temperature variables or control them in some manner.

Condensation happens at the "dew point".  This is used both in science and meteorology and is the absolute gold standard in humidity measurement.

The most expensive $10,000 humidity and moisture content meters use a chilled mirror to measure the dew point, which is then used to calculate the RH.  This is in fact the most accurate method known to measure humidity.

Nice measurement method BTW ratdog.  +5 :mushroom2:

-FF

OfflineProjekt
Male

Loc: Colorado
Re: Is condensation an indicator of high rh? Is my face a hygrometer? [Re: fastfred]
    #12066809 - 02/20/10 05:41 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

:omg:  :plzdie:  :epenis:

Invisibleanonjon
Partially Right

Re: Is condensation an indicator of high rh? Is my face a hygrometer? [Re: Projekt]
    #12067569 - 02/20/10 07:59 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Yes pls. Lock it up. Fastfred put a nice cap on it.

--------------------
The above post is fictional, hypothetical, or downright nonsensical.

:moon:  :moon:  :moon:  :moon:    :moon:

Invisibleratdog
wild capture trader
Male User Gallery

Loc: Colorado mount. top
    #12069574 - 02/21/10 05:38 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

thanks for the comp fred

--------------------
some people just don't get it:spank:
so here is a video or two or three for you guys:rolleyes:

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate