Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineTeknion
Interloper

Rh Problems for a casing.....
    #2294072 - 02/02/04 11:46 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

AFOAF Wanted Me To Post This For Shits n' Giggles:

So I have a casing in a small greenhouse terranium. The temperature is at a perfect 75, to initiate pinning. Now over the last few days, I've had problems with maintaining a constant Rh level....

Here's my setup:
----------------

1)Small Greenhouse With Two Racks. A foot and a half high between the two racks.

2)Two trays of perlite and water in the bottom tray, which takes up the whole space. Each tray has two long bubblers in them.

3) Casing on top rack, in one tray, the same size as the bottom trays used for perlite and water. So half the rack space taken up top.

4) Digital Hygrometer, and Analog Hygrometer on top rack.

Now Here's What's Happening:
----------------------------

1) Before I removed the foil on my casing, The Rh was between 77% and 88%. It seemed to go up and down. When I'd swish the bubblers around, it seemed to help out the Rh go up for a while. At this point each perlite tray only had one bubbler. At this stage I was only using my digital hygrometer

2) I removed the foil on the casing, Rh shot to 100% since the casing soil was moist.

3) After a while, the Rh went back to 78-80%. I kept swishing the bubblers, and the Rh would shoot to 89%

4) At that point I took out my hygro to reset the LOW/MAX Rh and gave it a little Lysol spray before I put it back in (mistake). Since then it's been reading 100% all the time (even when I took it out of the greenhouse). I knew this was wrong so I added my analog hygro, and it was at 70-75% for a while....

5) *swished* bubblers, etc etc...

6) This morning, I checked again, and now the analog was reading 80%, and the digital one I *think* is back to normal cuz it was reading 90%. So if I average out the two, my Rh should be perfect.

7) Now I know Rh at my bottom rack is 100% because there is condensation on the walls. But on the top rack there is no condensation on the walls.

Now Here Are My Questions:
--------------------------

1) Is it normal for Perlite Humidification to fluctuate like that?

2) What would be a good way to ensure it stays at the right Rh?

a) Constant bubbler swishing every few hours?

b) Adding a heat pad underneath the perlite trays (tho the trays are plastic)?

c) Adding water to the trays everyday (though there's still loads of water in there still)?

d) Maybe switching the casing to the bottom tray, and the perlite up top, and letting the humidity "fall", since the bottom walls are condensed?

e) My air pump has a +/- dials, would adding more/less air help

3) Can fluctuations cause a casing failure? Even if the average Rh is at the right levels? Though I'm not sure the digital hygro is accurate anymore, now that it and the analog one are close, I assume it's back to normal.

Sorry for the lengthy post, I just wanted to make sure all the factors I've experienced were there. It's also my first casing, so I want to make sure my first attempt is not foiled by a silly Rh problem.. hehe

I will be checking the Rh later today, so I will post back and let you know what the Rh was after 10 hours away from it... As I said, this morning read 80% on the analog, and 90% on the digital.

--------------------
"A drug person can deal with things like seeing they're dead grandmother crawling up they're leg with a knife in her teeth but no one should be asked to handle this trip"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleOJK
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Rh Problems for a casing..... [Re: Teknion]
    #2294345 - 02/02/04 02:00 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Sorry I don't have the time to answer all you're questions more fully, but I would suggest a few things;

Submergable fish tank heater's in your perlite tray's; probably the best heating method - rh will fluctuate with temperature (temperature is whar humidity is relative to - warm air can hold more moisture, so if the temp goes up, the rh drops, even though there's the same amount of water vapour in the air)

Make sure that there is a thick enough layer of perlite above the water level in the perlite trays (to allow evaporation)

Try tightening up the greenhouse covering (minimise loss of humid air)

Increasing the airflow from you're pumps should up the rh, but only if the greenhouse is reasonably well sealed

It shouldn't be necessary to shake the bubble wands. I think you're casings should be fine... perhaps the rh is changing because you're checking them so much :grin: By the way, one last thing - if you really are worried about the reliability of your digital hygrometer, check its accuracy with a salt calibration test - if you seal your hygrometer in a jar or summit with a tub of damp (not wet) salt, then after a few hours it should read (around) 75%.

Hope some of this helped;

-Odium

OfflineTeknion
Interloper

Re: Rh Problems for a casing..... [Re: OJK]
    #2294353 - 02/02/04 02:06 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

AFOAF Replies:

Don't worry about not answering all the questions, I just wanted one fix for my Rh problem, so I posted all the questions I had, and figured one of them would help someone come up with a solution... hehe

I wasn't actually "checking" it that much... And when I was I wasn't opening the greenhouse.

I will try to seal up the bottom of the greenhouse, and put my fish tank heater in one of the perlite trays.

I'll keep you guys posted on the progress of my humidity....

--------------------
"A drug person can deal with things like seeing they're dead grandmother crawling up they're leg with a knife in her teeth but no one should be asked to handle this trip"

OfflineTeknion
Interloper

Re: Rh Problems for a casing..... [Re: Teknion]
    #2294731 - 02/02/04 04:24 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

AFOAF Replies:

Well, after I got home I re-calibrated my digital hygro, so now I know it's working fine....

I added the fish tank heater, and now I read my Rh at 94%....

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix