Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineNewpala21
1st time farmer
 User Gallery

agar+dextrose-more ingredients needed?
    #11029520 - 09/09/09 07:16 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

So i got agar agar and dextrose(corn sugar). My first question, is this dextrose fine to use, ive been reading for 3hrs and i dont see anything that is helpful pertaining to this kind...  My second question, do i need to add any other ingredients to this or could i just use the agar and dextrose its self, if so what ratio should i use with my p-tree dishes. I got 20 of them but probally only do like 2 or 3 at a time. also i saw different colors of agar( red,green,yellow and clear. i got clear) and was curious if a certain color is better...  My last question, which would u guys say is better to use, an LC or the culture?

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Colorado Flag
Re: agar+dextrose-more ingredients needed? [Re: Newpala21]
    #11029544 - 09/09/09 07:19 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Dextrose will do better if you add a bit of malt or yeast. A teaspoon to 500 mL is good.
Color doesn't matter, plain is fine.

I don't think your last question makes any sense?

--------------------
You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

Offlinenastos
secret secretions
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: agar+dextrose-more ingredients needed? [Re: Doc_T]
    #11029565 - 09/09/09 07:22 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

maybe he means to inoc jars.. a wedge from the plate or an lc from a wedge?:shrug:

--------------------
:shrug:

InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: agar+dextrose-more ingredients needed? [Re: nastos]
    #11029598 - 09/09/09 07:27 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Well, that's what I thought- but how is one 'better' than the other, they are completely different.

OP, agar is use to isolate a culture, to grow a pure substrain.
Liquid Culture is a way to handle growing cultures that may be pure isolates, or tissue clones, or multispore with hundreds or thousands of individual genetic organisms.

Generally, LC will colonize a jar faster than an agar wedge, simply because of the way mycelium grows. But whether that's 'better' or not depends on the culture that is growing and what you want to do with it.

Best of all worlds, IMO: use agar to isolate, grow out on grain, then perform Grain LC. (Or g2g)
Also note: with LC, you can't tell if you are growing a contaminant. Agar makes it obvious.

--------------------

OfflineNewpala21
1st time farmer
 User Gallery

Re: agar+dextrose-more ingredients needed? [Re: nastos]
    #11029801 - 09/09/09 07:53 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

nastos said:
maybe he means to inoc jars.. a wedge from the plate or an lc from a wedge?:shrug:

Thats basically what i meant. So then it would be better to grow on a culture and then isolate a really rizo part and then start a LC from it or should I grow from MS and take a piece from the membrane and put it on a culture or an LC.

Forgive me if im not makin sense, this is my first attempt at this and ive read so much im not sure how or what to go by, all i know is that im trying to do this the right way instead of doing guess work and failing miserably.

--------------------

InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #11029867 - 09/09/09 08:01 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Ok, you are on the right track.
Tissue sample to agar is a pretty good way to get started with agar work. It gives you a good chance to get a viable fruiting substrain without too much risk of contamination.

Use that to isolate a pure substrain, grow it out on dishes until you have it clean and strong, then drop wedges into grain.

Once the grain colonizes, g2g or GLC.

Does that make sense?

--------------------

OfflineNewpala21
1st time farmer
 User Gallery

#11029900 - 09/09/09 08:04 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Doc_T said:
Well, that's what I thought- but how is one 'better' than the other, they are completely different.

OP, agar is use to isolate a culture, to grow a pure substrain.
Liquid Culture is a way to handle growing cultures that may be pure isolates, or tissue clones, or multispore with hundreds or thousands of individual genetic organisms.

Generally, LC will colonize a jar faster than an agar wedge, simply because of the way mycelium grows. But whether that's 'better' or not depends on the culture that is growing and what you want to do with it.

Best of all worlds, IMO: use agar to isolate, grow out on grain, then perform Grain LC. (Or g2g)
Also note: with LC, you can't tell if you are growing a contaminant. Agar makes it obvious.

OK this is new to me so im still learning so please bare with me..  I got the first part about use agar to isolate then grow on to grain but the last part when u say "then perform Grain LC" that part ive never heard of, r u sayin to take some mycelium from the grain once it reaches full colonization and start an LC or am i more lost than i thought i was.

--------------------

InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #11029945 - 09/09/09 08:09 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Oh, I thought everybody knew about Grain Lc, sorry.
Basically, shoot water into a jar with a syringe, shake it around, and suck it back out. Then yo can use it like the kinds of LC you already know about, to start jars quickly and consistently.
Like grain to grain but without opening the jars.

Linkety link.

--------------------

Invisibleanonjon
Partially Right

#11030007 - 09/09/09 08:17 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

The grocery store agar tek recommends potato flakes. I was thinking this was to help solidify the mix a little. But that tek calls for honey, which is a liquid. The dextrose might firm up the agar enuff on its own.

However, if it doesn't solidify good enuff, you might consider adding some kind of starch.

Found pure potato starch at a oriental grocery. Just recently experimented with it and used to much. Agar came out hard as rubber. Next batch should be better.

--------------------
The above post is fictional, hypothetical, or downright nonsensical.

:moon:  :moon:  :moon:  :moon:    :moon:

OfflineNewpala21
1st time farmer
 User Gallery

#11030010 - 09/09/09 08:18 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Doc_T said:
Basically, shoot water into a jar with a syringe, shake it around, and suck it back out. Then yo can use it like the kinds of LC you already know about, to start jars quickly and consistently.

Linkety link.

yup its offical cause im still lost on that Grain LC. Im sorry but could u please explain that to me again like i was 5yrs old, soooo lost on that.

Are u meaning to shoot water into a jar that has culture growing in it already? :confused: and then inoc with that..

--------------------

Invisibleanonjon
Partially Right

#11030111 - 09/09/09 08:32 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Newpala21 said:
Quote:

Doc_T said:

Linkety link.

yup its offical cause im still lost on that Grain LC. Im sorry but could u please explain that to me again like i was 5yrs old, soooo lost on that.

Are u meaning to shoot water into a jar that has culture growing in it already? :confused: and then inoc with that..

yup, click the link

--------------------

OfflineNewpala21
1st time farmer
 User Gallery

Re: agar+dextrose-more ingredients needed? [Re: anonjon]
    #11030148 - 09/09/09 08:36 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

HOLY SHIT :holy shit: I DIDNT C THAT, my bad but thanx for the recommendation there.lol. 

WTF my flying holy shit didnt show up :frown:

--------------------

Edited by Newpala21 (09/09/09 08:38 PM)

OfflineNewpala21
1st time farmer
 User Gallery

#11034296 - 09/10/09 01:31 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Heres a thought, would the hot creamy wheat based cereal "FARINA" be possible to use instead of yeast with making a agar culture or an LC. Its mainly all wheat products, heres its ingredients:FARINA (WHEAT), DICALCIUM PHOSPHATE,FERRIC ORTHOPHOSPHATE (A SOURCE OF IRON), NIACINAMIDE,FOLIC ACID,THIAMIN MONONITRATE,RIBOFLAVIN...

% daily value:
                      TOTAL FAT- 0g--0%
                      saturated fat- 0g--0%
                      trans fat- 0g
                      CHOLESTEROL- 0mg--0%
                      SODIUM- Omg--0%
                TOTAL CARBOYHDRATE- 22g--8%
                      dietary fiber less than 1g--4%
                      sugars- 0g
                      PROTEIN- 3g

AND NUTRITION INFO BASED ON 2000 CALORIE IN TAKE:                 

TOTAL FAT- LESS THAN 65G
                      SAT FAT- LESS THAN 20G
                      CHOLESTEROL- LESS THAN 300MG
                      SODIUM- LESS THAN 2,400MG
                TOTAL CARBOHYDRATE- 300G
                      DIETARY FIBER- 25G

AND VITAMINS: VITAMIN A-0%, VITAMIN C-0%, CALCIUM-10%, IRON-50%, THIAMIN-10%, RIBOFLAVIN-6%, NIACIN-6%, FOLIC ACID 15%....

So does anyone think this stuff would work at all in makin LC/Culture, Its all wheat based from what it looks like so i figured it would but i thought id post this and see what some of the wonderful all knowing ppl on here thought.. If so, what ratio would b suitable for mixing and using to experiment with

--------------------

Invisibleanonjon
Partially Right

#11034900 - 09/10/09 03:14 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

every lc recipe ive seen is some kind of simple sugar. i dont see the point of what you're doing. why not just get some karo, honey, dextrose, maltose, etc?

--------------------

OfflineNewpala21
1st time farmer
 User Gallery

#11035163 - 09/10/09 04:14 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

I got dextrose( corn sugar) and agar and potato flakes and honey. I wasnt doing anything with it , if u read the question u would see that it was just "A question" on what ppl thought and if this stuff would work aswell. its just sitting around in my cabinet so i looked at its ingredients and saw it was mainly wheat and fat/sodium free. So again, just a question

--------------------

InvisibleCH HELL
Brain Sturgeon
Male User Gallery

Loc: mars Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #11035224 - 09/10/09 04:24 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

If you are making agar or LC.  If its agar and you're growing cube the dextrose isn't necessary use instant potato flakes or malt and if you want you can add a little dextrose.
LC then the dextrose is fine use it on its own at 4% or add a little malt.
TC,
CH

Invisibleanonjon
Partially Right

#11035258 - 09/10/09 04:31 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Newpala21 said:
I got dextrose( corn sugar) and agar and potato flakes and honey. I wasnt doing anything with it , if u read the question u would see that it was just "A question" on what ppl thought and if this stuff would work aswell. its just sitting around in my cabinet so i looked at its ingredients and saw it was mainly wheat and fat/sodium free. So again, just a question

What's the consistency like? If you can get it to gel up clear, it might work. I would think a simple sugar, rather than carb would be easier for a tissue sample to use. I could be wrong.

--------------------

OfflineNewpala21
1st time farmer
 User Gallery

#11035442 - 09/10/09 05:06 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Newpala21 said:
Heres a thought, would the hot creamy wheat based cereal "FARINA" be possible to use instead of yeast with making a agar culture or an LC. Its mainly all wheat products, heres its ingredients:FARINA (WHEAT), DICALCIUM PHOSPHATE,FERRIC ORTHOPHOSPHATE (A SOURCE OF IRON), NIACINAMIDE,FOLIC ACID,THIAMIN MONONITRATE,RIBOFLAVIN...

% daily value:
                      TOTAL FAT- 0g--0%
                      saturated fat- 0g--0%
                      trans fat- 0g
                      CHOLESTEROL- 0mg--0%
                      SODIUM- Omg--0%
                TOTAL CARBOYHDRATE- 22g--8%
                      dietary fiber less than 1g--4%
                      sugars- 0g
                      PROTEIN- 3g

AND NUTRITION INFO BASED ON 2000 CALORIE IN TAKE:                 

TOTAL FAT- LESS THAN 65G
                      SAT FAT- LESS THAN 20G
                      CHOLESTEROL- LESS THAN 300MG
                      SODIUM- LESS THAN 2,400MG
                TOTAL CARBOHYDRATE- 300G
                      DIETARY FIBER- 25G

AND VITAMINS: VITAMIN A-0%, VITAMIN C-0%, CALCIUM-10%, IRON-50%, THIAMIN-10%, RIBOFLAVIN-6%, NIACIN-6%, FOLIC ACID 15%....

So does anyone think this stuff would work at all in makin LC/Culture, Its all wheat based from what it looks like so i figured it would but i thought id post this and see what some of the wonderful all knowing ppl on here thought.. If so, what ratio would b suitable for mixing and using to experiment with

yes yes everyone i know the recipes for LC and cultures its all over this site. i just want to know if anyone here know or thinks if this stuff would work or have any benefit at all
Quote:

anonjon said:
Quote:

Newpala21 said:

What's the consistency like? If you can get it to gel up clear, it might work. I would think a simple sugar, rather than carb would be easier for a tissue sample to use. I could be wrong.

Quote:

anonjon said:
Quote:

Newpala21 said:

Well its kinda like salt just a tad bigger and its solid white, no it wont gel up or dissolve clear, kinda turns into a pasty white and it hold its form but swells up a little when its heated up in water. Again just a thought so i figured i ask around and see what people thought.

SORRY DIDNT MEAN TO DOUBLE QUOTE

--------------------

InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #11037285 - 09/10/09 10:15 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Corn sugar? Or corn starch?

--------------------

OfflineNewpala21
1st time farmer
 User Gallery

#11037830 - 09/10/09 11:46 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Doc_T said:
Corn sugar? Or corn starch?[/quote
were that come from, i was describing the farina i was talkin about earlier

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck