Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds   Amazon Agar, Laminar Flow Hood, Petri Dish, Pressure Cooker

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineStatic
Can you hear menow?

syringes vs agar
    #1634821 - 06/15/03 12:03 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Hello,
I am wondering if it is better to learn to make your own syringes first or to work with agar and petri dishes? or skip that for now and try to study something from a ready made syringe?

--------------------
Astronauts get all the tang they want.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineJazzMatazz
addict

Loc: Vienna, Austria
Re: syringes vs agar [Re: Static]
    #1634919 - 06/15/03 01:14 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

make your own syringes first.
if it works , you?ve got the right feeling for the sterile-factor which is required for shrooming.
i think for agar plates you need a flow-hood to keep it sterile.
agar has the advantage to let you isolate specific rhizos and transfer them onto another plate. that way you can inocculate your substrate with only the best growing mycelium. Ive never done this, but in my experience multi-spore inocculation (syringe) is fine. Its probably just like tweaking your pc. Its just for the experienced, giving you an extra 10% performance, but it works fine without.
good luck,
jazz

--------------------
Perception is limited to consciousness.Expand it and unfold other realities.

OfflineHafrican
Mega-ultrachicken

Loc: SW Azerbaijan
Re: syringes vs agar [Re: JazzMatazz]
    #1636028 - 06/15/03 11:44 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Jim concurs -- make your own syringes first!
That being said -- agar pretty much owns! You are cloning a known (sub)strain that thrives in your set environmental conditions. You know those couple huge fruits you got during your last flush? Imagine if those genetics dominated the entire flush!
While very sterile conditions are a required, a flow hood is not a neceissity, especially if you use peroxide agar.

OfflineStatic
Can you hear menow?

Re: syringes vs agar [Re: Hafrican]
    #1639206 - 06/17/03 10:19 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

sorry to have put this in the wrong form.

--------------------

Invisiblekoraks
    #1639241 - 06/17/03 10:45 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

If you're a first-time grower, buy ready-made spore syringes or make your own syringes from sporeprints (this introduces extra contamination risks though, especially if you're not very experienced). When you get the hang of growing shrooms, you can consider isolating some succesfull pieces of mycelium and grow them on agar in order to inoculate substrate with it further down the road. But if you're a newbie, stick with (ready-made or homebrew) syringes first.

Offlineblackout
Microwaver
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: syringes vs agar [Re: koraks]
    #1639267 - 06/17/03 11:02 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

if i had grown my first shroom i reckon it is far easier (for me) to make a clean cloned honey water mixture than making a print and syringe from that print. i.e. i would trust my honey water to be more free of contaminants. i have no hood etc

--------------------
support the free spore ring http://fsre.nl/

Invisiblekoraks
Re: syringes vs agar [Re: blackout]
    #1639274 - 06/17/03 11:06 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Honey mixture seems pretty safe too, but I haven't tried it yet. As for making your own spore syringes: I don't have a glove box or hood either, but if you clean your working space thoroughly before you begin and if you use your common sense, you can make clean/sterile syringes anyway.

OfflineStatic
Can you hear menow?

Re: syringes vs agar [Re: koraks]
    #1639321 - 06/17/03 11:31 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

I was thinking about using a microwave to boil/sterilize the water and making the syringe inside the microwave. Being it is a closed space and hopefully has been sterilized by it own use. Do you think a microwave would also sterilize the air inside it when it was running? Or am I totally of track?

--------------------

OfflineJazzMatazz
addict

Loc: Vienna, Austria
    #1639419 - 06/17/03 12:39 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

id boil the water classically, and then pull the boiling water into the syringe. Works perfect. Do this several times, always squerting the boiling water back in with the rest and pulling back up again.Now put it into the freezer for ten minutes, and it ready to be inocculated.
I always use destilled water from the pharmacy. Dunno why, but it was in a syringe-tek, and Ive never tried tap-water.

Jazz

On a quieter note: I wouldnt be too afraid of contams. If you work quickly, and with a clean knife and clean syringe , I dont see the need in Hydrogen-Peroxide being sprayed everywhere. (As stated in several TEKs) But this is just my own experience! I recommend you still do it , just to be sure. (...a nd I dont want it to be my fault if you fai! :smile:  )

--------------------
Perception is limited to consciousness.Expand it and unfold other realities.

OfflineStatic
Can you hear menow?

Re: syringes vs agar [Re: JazzMatazz]
    #1639512 - 06/17/03 01:39 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Don't need to sterilize syringes ... yet anyway. Distilled water eh? interesting I am going to try it.

I am stil courious about the microwave sterilizing the air inside itself while it is running.

--------------------

Invisiblekoraks
    #1641649 - 06/18/03 08:54 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Do you think a microwave would also sterilize the air inside it when it was running?

No, I defenitely don't think so. The air isn't heated in a microwave oven the way it is in a conventional oven. Moreover, food in microwave ovens tends to explode quite often, resulting in morcels of food sticking to the microwave's walls. If you want to use your microwave as a glove box, clean it thouroughly before use (use bleach).
Personally, I wouldn't go through all the hassle. I just cook tap water in a water cooker, and clean my working place before I make spore syringes.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds   Amazon Agar, Laminar Flow Hood, Petri Dish, Pressure Cooker

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation