Home | Community | Message Board

PlanetSpores.ca
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Change in appetite and taste
    #10736018 -

I have noticed a drastic change in my eating habits and the types of food I want.

Before about 4-6 weeks ago I would get up and eat breakfast not long after waking. Generally just a bowl of cereal, or a pop-tart. Just something to have on my stomach. (I have a history of gut issues and generally have to keep something on my stomach) Then I would eat a small meal every ~4-5 hours.

I ate a fairly average diet. Very little fried foods and lots of home cooked meals. Lots of pasta. Having a bowl of ramen noodles for lunch was standard.

Now I have no desire to eat for several hours (3-4) after I get up. And I crave fruits and veggies. Not that I didn't like them before. It's just that now when I see food in the fridge nothing looks appetizing. I'd rather eat a salad or some fruit. Pasta really doesn't appeal to me like it used to either.

I have also been having night sweats. These are generally caused by medication. I haven't started any new meds and the meds I'm on don't cause them.

I did some research and found out that men of my age (42) may go through a male menopause. Where hormone levels begin to decrease.

Could a hormone change affect my appetite?

If so then why has my gut issues virtually disappeared?

Could the hormone imbalance affect that too?

:confused:


--------------------
Live for the moment you are in now
Don't be bogged down by your past
Don't be afraid of what lies in your future

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Change in appetite and taste [Re: niteowl]
    #10736214 -

Hormones can affect appetite, so can medications, so can mood, so can stress, so can many other things. Sorry I can't be much help with that..

Regarding hormone changes..  As well as age, increasing body mass index can decrease testosterone too. How's your weight?

I think you can get tested to see how high your testosterone is, but when the doctor says it is low, medium or high, it's just a comparison to men in general and doesn't necessarily indicate that your hormones have changed. For that, you'd need to do a longitudinal test, i.e. one blood test now and a couple more in the future, to identify a trend.

Here are a couple of articles I found on the topic of decreasing testosterone...
http://jcem.endojournals.org/cgi/content/full/86/2/724
http://jcem.endojournals.org/cgi/content/full/87/2/589


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Change in appetite and taste [Re: Mufungo]
    #10736510 -

Actually I have been loosing weight. Was around 226 now I'm around 218.


--------------------
Live for the moment you are in now
Don't be bogged down by your past
Don't be afraid of what lies in your future

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Change in appetite and taste [Re: niteowl]
    #10736589 -

Losing weight can change hormone levels and influence systems associated with water retention, salt processes, blood pressure, glucose/insulin balance, and more. Not saying that your loss of weight necessarily has anything to do with what you've been experiencing. But it seems like you have a few things happening in your life simultaneously, it might be a bit difficult to pin it all on one thing.

But is there any problem with craving fruits and veg? Is there a problem with not having gut issues anymore? Or were you just curious about what might be going on? (Just clarifying where you're coming from)


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Change in appetite and taste [Re: Mufungo]
    #10736598 -

Oh there is nothing wrong with it.
I'm not complaning
Just curious really.


--------------------
Live for the moment you are in now
Don't be bogged down by your past
Don't be afraid of what lies in your future

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Change in appetite and taste [Re: niteowl]
    #10736716 -

Fair enough. :cool::thumbup:


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Change in appetite and taste [Re: niteowl]
    #10736846 -

could be way off but have you been checked for diabetes? usually the body craves things that it needs.... :/ i have no idea if a diabetic would crave sugar like that


--------------------
notapillow said: "you are going about this endeavor all wrong. clear your mind of useless fear and concern. buy the ticket, take the ride, and all that.... "

ChrisWho said: "It's all about the journey, not the destination."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Change in appetite and taste [Re: Mickalopagus]
    #10737171 -

Sounds to me like your body is craving vitamins and minerals, its makes the most sense to me. Your body might also be acidic and it wants to balance itself out, my suggestion is to give into the urges and eat as much fruits and vegetables as you can

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Change in appetite and taste [Re: Andre Nickatina]
    #10737290 -

Quote:
my suggestion is to give into the urges and eat as much fruits and vegetables as you can



Oh I have been.
The sudden change is just kinda weird.


--------------------
Live for the moment you are in now
Don't be bogged down by your past
Don't be afraid of what lies in your future

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Change in appetite and taste [Re: Andre Nickatina]
    #10738925 -

Andre Nickatina said:
Sounds to me like your body is craving vitamins and minerals, its makes the most sense to me. Your body might also be acidic and it wants to balance itself out, my suggestion is to give into the urges and eat as much fruits and vegetables as you can



I concur. For the most part, I eat like a typical "bodybuilder". There's nothing wrong with that type of diet if you're looking to put on lean muscle tissue or shift focus solely for fat loss, but one thing I was neglecting was my pH balance.

Good to hear that you're imbibing in fruit and veg. There are a lot of environmental, social and physiological factors that could be contributing to your shift. I get tons of different cravings but there are too many variables for me to try putting my finger on any one thing in particular. I don't know if it's "andropause", but maybe.

Maybe next time you get checked up, get some blood work done to see where your hormones stand. Check out your test (free, bound, total), DHT, estrogens, prolactin, progesterone, cortisol, IGF-1 levels (if they'll include it) and whatever else. And if you're getting blood work it's also imperative that you check out your lipid profile and see what your cholesterol is looking at. Now is about the time when you want a good bench mark for contrast and comparison. If your hormones are in check that's a great thing, when they're out of whack it's no fun. And if you haven't already, it's recommended that you get your prostate scoped out too.


--------------------
When the stress burns my brain it's like acid raindrops
maryjane is the only thing that makes the pain stop

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Change in appetite and taste [Re: browndustin]
    #10739106 -

I don't have any insurance at the moment. So any testing will have to wait until my government insurance kicks in.

The change in appetite and the night sweats showed up at about the same time.
Making me think that these changes may be caused by 'andropause'

:justdontknow:


--------------------
Live for the moment you are in now
Don't be bogged down by your past
Don't be afraid of what lies in your future

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Testosterone boost? eligal 3,794 19 06/09/06 07:17 PM
by browndustin
* Craving cigs idiocean 925 10 06/24/05 03:01 PM
by BloodNOil
* GHB and growth hormone production. Good for you? HagbardCeline 1,990 13 06/15/05 03:37 PM
by Arp
* Scared of commitment? Or raging hormones? browndustin 803 7 01/26/06 05:58 PM
by Jaimie
* Anatomy of a cocaine craving..... Schwip 1,236 8 06/10/06 08:59 PM
by Kerbouchard
* increasing appetite Liquid_Dimension 1,099 7 01/06/07 03:21 PM
by browndustin
* Appetite Stimulants
( 1 2 all )
Robo 2,076 20 11/13/07 12:45 AM
by browndustin
* Rulers are power craving peices of shit.
( 1 2 all )
Ego Death 3,636 28 02/14/05 08:06 PM
by UnenlightenedOne

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: CherryBom, Asante, Rose, mndfreeze, yogabunny, feevers, CookieCrumbs, Northerner
953 topic views. 0 members, 3 guests and 3 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.032 seconds spending 0.007 seconds on 15 queries.