Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineQuitDrinking
Stranger
Loc: SC
Cloning on a low budget, how's this sound...
    #1065774 - 11/19/02 09:40 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I picked one of my last shrooms left standing, cap just opened. Turned an aquarium on it's side , covered opening with plastic, cut slits for hand holes and sprayed inside with lysol and windex anti-bac spray (lots of ammonia). Boiled jar and blender blade, razor blade and syringes, half filled jar with boiled water and boiled some more(with blade now on top). Let cool , put jar in aquarium (quickly), sprayed some more lysol. Reached in with alcohol washed hands , held mushroom and peeled and cut out center of stem (as much as a bean or so) put in jar, retightened lid, removed and blended for a few seconds, then back in the aquarium. Removed lid and quickly drew two syringes off the bottom of the jar, threw away the rest. I noc'd up 12 jars with one and saved the other may try to do more tommorow. I left a lot of the larger "pieces" in the jar but the liquid in syringes was a little milky looking.
Does this sound close enough to the real tek to work? Sterile enough? I was in an old barn, so I know the air wasn't perfectly sterile, though it was cold, so maybe that will help. Jars are now in a heated environment, 70-75 degrees. :tongue:

--------------------
Free the Rapist and Muderers!!!
We need more prison space for the Pot heads.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineribbit
up till dawn

Re: Cloning on a low budget, how's this sound... [Re: QuitDrinking]
    #1065966 - 11/19/02 10:42 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

sounds to me like you are in a better situation to answer the question than most of us... sounds viable, i would raise the temp to about 82-84 degrees tho.... with what you done, you should see signes of growth within just 2 days. so please fill us in on your progress or nonprogress

also, what are you spawning on?

thanks,
ribbit

OfflineQuitDrinking
Stranger
Re: Cloning on a low budget, how's this sound... [Re: ribbit]
    #1066040 - 11/19/02 11:13 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Sorry,
I'm using BRF per PF Tek.

--------------------

OfflineQuitDrinking
Stranger
Re: Cloning on a low budget, how's this sound... [Re: ribbit]
    #1088990 - 11/26/02 09:24 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

It's been about a week now and i have growth in all jars. 4 injection sites per jar and most are bigger than a quarter. No sign of contams so far. Temp is raised to close to 80 degrees but not quite there so that may have slowed growth.Also remember I used one of the last shrooms, not a big one (2") ,not a fast grower, I was just worried about losing the line and having to buy syringes. Not that that's a big deal. (They were PF's)
Let you know more later.

--------------------

OfflineQuitDrinking
Stranger
    #1094753 - 11/28/02 09:14 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Still progressing without visable contams. Jars are 30-40% done, I'm guessing. I am using an old chest freezer with a light bulb for heat (outdoors) and changing the wattage as the temp changes. Works OK so FAr. 4 flushes off first cakes,with dunking between,

--------------------

OfflineJovialLeprechaun
reasonableperson
    #1095190 - 11/29/02 12:36 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Good work bro

--------------------
I am a reasonable person.

OfflineSkikid16
fungus fan

Loc: In the middle of the nort...
    #1095200 - 11/29/02 12:40 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

In reply to:

I am using an old chest freezer with a light bulb for heat (outdoors) and changing the wattage as the temp changes.

You're using a light in your incubator for heat?

--------------------
Re-Defeat Bush in '04

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
    #1095454 - 11/29/02 02:48 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

sound's ok, unsubtle, but ok. dunno about the light in your incubator though, you could probably fanagle something else with a heating element of some kind, or mabey electric blankets or something. however you do it, you don't likely want them pinning invitro, unless you do...
[edit: edited for drunkeness]

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Edited by concretefeet (11/29/02 02:49 AM)

OfflineQuitDrinking
Stranger
Re: Cloning on a low budget, how's this sound... [Re: Skikid16]
    #1095599 - 11/29/02 07:47 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

yes,their is a light bulb for heat but the colonizing jars are in the top section inside a cardboard box, the fruiting ones are in the bottom in a glass aquarium. The top stays warmer than the bottom by a few degrees. If it gets colder I add more wattage, If it's a warm spell I switch to a low wattage bulb and a timer to cut it off when I need to. Otherwise it's on 24/7. With 20 degree temps at night I need a 60 watt bulb to keep the temp in the lower 80's range.
Ten days now and noc spots are the size of an old fashioned silver dollar if anyone remembers what that means (around 2"). Still no signs of contams.

--------------------

Edited by QuitDrinking (11/29/02 07:52 AM)

OfflineQuitDrinking
Stranger
    #1126808 - 12/09/02 09:28 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

AAARRGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!

Contam's (Mean GReen) Struck 4 jars out of 12. Not too bad I guess, I only did 1 jar better with the PF syringe. They struck rather late in the game and I've heard green is airbourne so.........
Give it a try!!
Jars are a few days away from being exposed to light to initiate pinning. I'll update a week or more from now.

--------------------

OfflineQuitDrinking
Stranger
    #1170038 - 12/25/02 03:15 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

O.K.
It's been more than a week or so...
I had no more contam problems but I have noticed that my pinning in jars/fruiting is not as good as with the spore syringe. (First attempt at each remember)
Other variables that may ....
1. Temp varied from 60-90 during pinning stage (in jars). Mostly kept in 70-80 as called for though.
2. Mushroom used was nearly mature rather than young and rapidly growing as called for.

Any thoughts?
I'll try a dunk and get back to you.

--------------------

InvisibleChampion des Champignons
long standing member;)

Loc: Alba
    #1170325 - 12/25/02 05:49 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

>Any thoughts?

rather than cutting into the shroom to be cloned it's better to snap/tear it open. even if the scalpel/razor/whatever is sterile, it can still drag external contaminants into the cut, which is likely, unless the shroom in question has been grown in entirely aseptic conditions (unlikely).

--------------------
---------------------------------------------------
hmmm........

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck