Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

Loc: mycotopia.net
Re: Better method survey: Heating Pad vs. Aquarium Heater for jars
    #12563 - 04/14/00 04:47 PM (23 years, 11 months ago)

heating pad.

------------------
Visit http://www.drooldonkey.org Global Psychedelic Community, Forums & Chat, Teks & Tips.

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

Re: Better method survey: Heating Pad vs. Aquarium Heater for jars [Re: Hippie3]
    #12565 - 04/14/00 05:26 PM (23 years, 11 months ago)

I'm going to try a heating pad, only because I have one already. Seems easier anyway.

OfflineHumidity
Mad Scientist
Loc: Somewhere in Northeast OH
Re: Better method survey: Heating Pad vs. Aquarium Heater for jars [Re: Hippie3]
    #12566 - 04/14/00 05:37 PM (23 years, 11 months ago)

Has anyone tried modifing their heating pad with a light dimmer or similar item to reduce the amount of heat that is generated?

--------------------
_____________________________________________________________________________________
"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking

Anonymous

#12567 - 04/14/00 06:17 PM (23 years, 11 months ago)

I really didn't think that heating the jars was a big deal!!!! Just put them somewhere dark at room temp. and leave them, no???
I don't know why there is so much discussion on this topic...........
sorry for being an asshole....i cant help it

please correct me if I'm wrong

------------------
-------------------------

If God did shrooms, would he see people?

OfflineVorpal
old hand

Loc: Kingston, Ontario, Canada
    #12568 - 04/14/00 06:37 PM (23 years, 11 months ago)

I didn't want to buy any of that crap, so I just piled some boxes in a closet until I had about 2 feet left at the top. I covered the boxes with a sleeping bag for insulation. Then I put in a 60W light bulb. I cover my jars with a towel to keep it dark. Temp stays at 80F. Not ideal, but better than having to go out and buy more equipment.

OfflinePsychonaut
seeker

Loc: Vancouver Island, Canada
    #12569 - 04/14/00 06:42 PM (23 years, 11 months ago)

0).]

[This message has been edited by Psychonaut (edited January 08, 2001).]

--------------------
FungusFun.com

Anonymous

#12570 - 04/14/00 06:49 PM (23 years, 11 months ago)

quote:
Originally posted by Psychonaut:
Aquarium Heater is the way to go. Check this setup out: http://www.geocities.com/bfixxer/documents/incubator_tec/psychonautincubationchamber.h tm

I love it. Simple, cost effective, eliminates most complaints about aquarium heaters. Good job yo!

I like the external embedded temperature gauge and keeping the heater element control knob external. Lets you lock down your jars in darkness and still monitor/adjust your setup.

[This message has been edited by The Learner (edited April 14, 2000).]

Invisibleneverwhere
Fenway Faithful

Loc: Boston
    #12571 - 04/15/00 11:06 AM (23 years, 11 months ago)

if using a heated pad.....do u lay the jars directly on top of the pad, or what? i am using a heating pad because i already have one.....i need to know the best way to use it!! :wink:

--------------------
"The United States is nation of laws; badly written and randomly enforced." -Frank Zappa

"If the police ever come knocking, I'm hiding my lava lamp before I hide my piece"-elsd

Invisiblemaxxjones
journeyman
    #12572 - 04/15/00 11:26 AM (23 years, 11 months ago)

I tried heating pad on lowest setting under box containing innoculated jars and got a temp of 92 F . . . too hot. The Alien tek seems to work well (aquarium heater in water in large storage box, the jars in a smaller plastic container that is floating in the larger box)

[This message has been edited by maxxjones (edited April 15, 2000).]

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

Loc: mycotopia.net
    #12573 - 04/15/00 07:48 PM (23 years, 11 months ago)

no, never put anything on a heating pad.
place the pad above the jars, this is safer and will not dry your jars much.

------------------
Visit http://www.drooldonkey.org Global Psychedelic Community, Forums & Chat, Teks & Tips.

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

Anonymous

#12574 - 04/15/00 08:18 PM (23 years, 11 months ago)

Aquarium heater with thermostat is pretty damn easy, but you guys are missing the easiest setup yet.

Take two large rubbermaids like you might use for a terrarium, stacked there is a gap in betweeen them at the bottom. You fill this gap with water + heater (while top one is removed of course). Secure the heater so it is slightly elevated from the bottom but don't let it float so that it doesn't touch any plastic. Also make sure the heater is completely submerged.
Place the other container inside. They get a nice snug fit, but you can still let the chord come out between the containers.

There's no cutting involved, and your terrarium is dry/easy to clean. Cover with a sleeping bag and its efficient too.

OfflineoOjonahOo
addict
    #12575 - 04/16/00 11:58 AM (23 years, 11 months ago)

That's a great idea. Very close to what I use for my hydroponic basil(seriously, it actually is basil)...
They are ebb/flow, with a sumersible pump in the bottom one with the nutrient solution.
I think I'll make another unit, but without the holes to fill/drain and the pump, and just add plain water and the heater.
Not quite as space-age as psychonauts, but a great idea nonetheless. I'll try it and let everyone know how it works out for me.

--------------------
Ultimate Mycodirectory v4.0

Anonymous

Re: Better method survey: Heating Pad vs. Aquarium Heater for jars [Re: Hippie3] * 1
    #12576 - 04/16/00 12:21 PM (23 years, 11 months ago)

Definitely an aquarium heater.

My only experience with heating pads is that they're bad. It had 2 settings, low and high, which is pretty unhelpful if you are looking for a certain degree (86 F). The low setting was still way to high, plus the damn things fluctuate.

Aquarium heaters, on the other hand, work perfectly. I can set mine to the exact degree. It doesn't dry jars out. It requires about 15 minutes of initial setup. Not really any maintanence. I don't know how it would give you slimy jars.... the jars should be on top of the container holding the water and heater, not in the water with it. Algae has never been a problem either.

Seriously, people seem to have weird ideas about the aquarium heater incubation. The best setup IMHO is ShroomGod's incubation chamber. Check out the posts on this from last October or November.

OfflineNyar15
    #12577 - 04/17/00 01:08 PM (23 years, 11 months ago)

I use my computer monitor and several towels underneath and over the jars which I leave in the box I bought them in. This works great for me. I use a heating pad to keep my grow chamber warm and humid.

--Nyar15

Anonymous

#12578 - 04/17/00 01:34 PM (23 years, 11 months ago)

I came up with an idea Psychonaut.

If you can get a container with a good seal or a rubber sealing ring, then you could put the container on its side into the side of the box near the bottom. Or perhaps at a 45 degree angle going down diagnally through the side of the box.

Ohh heres another edit.

Hardware stores have large black plastic pipes for sewage and water drainage. They even come with end cap pieces and all sorts of elbow joints and splits. With a little imagination and some of this material you could come up with some interesting heating containers.

The most simple would be the log design

CAP<>PIPE<>CAP drill a hole to fit the heater element inside.

For the mad ass scientist this will not do :smile: You need to make a vertical convection system of pipes so the hot water rises and the colder water returns to the bottom where the heater element is to heat it up and continue the convection flow :tongue:

The Learner
Deranged Scientist

[This message has been edited by The Learner (edited April 18, 2000).]

Anonymous

#12579 - 04/18/00 09:35 AM (23 years, 10 months ago)

Aquarium Heater for me

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag